Joint House Purchase - Opinions?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

No it doesn't. It's riddled with damp. That'll need sorting and will either be problems with the roof or the windows. Neither of which would necessarily be cheap.

Anyway that wasn't the point.

The point was...

Just now, oaksoft said:

The phrase about the mould and damp was an add-on. Take that out of my original post and you'll see my point.

Your original post says it's one flat - you highlighted the one.  

I'm still no further forward.  

1 hour ago, EvilScotsman said:

I think I see the error here.

Semantics.  If you are looking to stay in Ayrshire, I am not sure that you are that picky.

53 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That is one flat and it's riddled with mould and damp.

The OP was only looking for one residence as far as I could see.

I was going to post about it in another thread but I’ve been looking at a few rental places for my MiL who wants to move to East Lothian/ Edinburgh and by god some of the properties are truly awful for the price of them. A 2 bed mid terraced unfurnished shell with a box kitchen that looked like it belonged in the 90’s and an unkempt and rather dangerous garden in Musselburgh was going for £850 pcm. No pics available as it’s already been snapped up by some mug but it was awful.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

No it doesn't. It's riddled with damp. That'll need sorting and will either be problems with the roof or the windows. Neither of which would necessarily be cheap.

Anyway that wasn't the point.

It’s not riddled with damp, it’s located “near bracing ocean breezes”!

49 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You're in the wrong job my friend. 😂

This charming flat offers bracing sea breezes, classic finishes, ample outlets, and a bathroom that could have been lifted from Downton Abbey. Exposed wood floors allow ample scope for personalization, and the open concept kitchen is just waiting for your touch.

I've really enjoyed reading these comments, proper belly laughs! I should have edited the title or at least tried to explain things a bit better in my 'resurrected thread' comment yesterday.

It was just that an article had popped up on my newsfeed yesterday about joint purchases and it reminded me of my original post. That was when I saw it was virtually two years to the day. Topical, because my recent (solo) mortgage offer was withdrawn:  I was about to go 'shopping' and not only in Ayrshire, either......

If such an arrangement had come about, then quite frankly I'd have been happy to park up a motorhome on a driveway, at least I'd have some capital in an asset, and a bit of security, rather than scratching around lining some other bugger's pension pot through a rented hovel. If that meant the other party had not had to get themselves into debt with a bank, then with a decent legal agreement we're both ahead of the game. 

Keeping my powder dry in the meantime.

Edited by IncomingExile