Joint House Purchase - Opinions?

Hello, relative newcomer to this website, hope I have picked the right forum for this topic. 

Around a year or so back, I came to the conclusion that my future lay north of the border, and started making tentative plans for relocating, with a summer 2020 date in mind. Then a relative's hospitalisation and eventual move into residential care got in the way, and we shall speak no more of lockdowns........ 

I am still looking to move and am focussing on Ayrshire in particular, but with the uncertainty over employment and the economy as a whole, am looking at options to avoid mortgages. A joint-purchase, with one or two others who, like me, have saved a decent amount for a deposit, might be one way around this. 

I'm aware of the pitfalls of such an arrangement but short of waiting the whole Covid/recession thing out - which could take years - I am considering this as a serious option. 
Any thoughts, suggestions?  

1 minute ago, IncomingExile said:

Hello, relative newcomer to this website, hope I have picked the right forum for this topic. 

Around a year or so back, I came to the conclusion that my future lay north of the border, and started making tentative plans for relocating, with a summer 2020 date in mind. Then a relative's hospitalisation and eventual move into residential care got in the way, and we shall speak no more of lockdowns........ 

I am still looking to move and am focussing on Ayrshire in particular, but with the uncertainty over employment and the economy as a whole, am looking at options to avoid mortgages. A joint-purchase, with one or two others who, like me, have saved a decent amount for a deposit, might be one way around this. 

I'm aware of the pitfalls of such an arrangement but short of waiting the whole Covid/recession thing out - which could take years - I am considering this as a serious option. 

The chances of more than one person moving willingly to Ayrshire seem vanishingly slim.

Anyway good luck with the scam, sorry, venture 

Scam, Arab? I guess you've not heard of Joint Mortgages, 'Tenants in Common' legal contracts and the like.  Perhaps it's more of 'a London thing' to be fair. 

Definitely not my preferred solution to the problem but I'll leave it out there.  Buying a property outright with a third party, maybe building/converting an annex is better than being in hock to a bank at the moment..........

22 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

Have you considered Perthshire instead? 

• 1 year later...

Just realised it's two years tomorrow since I posted this.

And I thought 'it was better than being in hock to a bank' way back then.......  

Edited by IncomingExile

25 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

Just realised it's two years tomorrow since I posted this,.

And I thought 'it was better than being in hock to a bank' way back then.......  

If you're serious about this, there are deals you can do with housing associations where you can part buy/part rent, and gradually build up your ownership share. Probably best to wait for rising interest rates to hammer property prices though, obviously.

27 minutes ago, strichener said:

Can't see how the OP can have a sizeable deposit and yet be unable to afford to buy a house in Ayrshire.

You can pick up a 2 bed flat in Largs for £20k

But then you'd be stuck with a 2 bed flat in Largs.