The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

43 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Apparently when it was built it was out in the countryside

Aberdeen’s got an example of this too where there was a grand country mansion house that has since found itself slap bang in the middle of a relatively tinky estate.

1AFFBFA4-BE61-472A-AE6D-4C453F906904.thumb.jpeg.67cebd309f437114f37e114e0e40390d.jpeg

Most students at Aberdeen uni pass the weird fancy gates that were at the bottom of the grand country road leading up this on a daily basis, having no idea what they were for.

image.jpeg.779a4716b25840bd7884b667c8df307a.jpeg

IMG_6469.jpg

This tower on Kinnoull Hill.

It’s not an old relic from the medieval times. It was built by a local businessman in the 1800’s to provide a tourism purpose for climbing the hill.

The Great Polish Map of Scotland in Eddleston.

"I shall die, but I shall leave my map as a gift to the Scottish people to thank them for the hospitality they showed the Poles when it was needed." - Jan Tomasik, Polish army sergeant stationed in Galashiels during the war.

After the war, he became a Borders hotelier and fulfilled his ambition to create a giant relief map of Scotland, with the help of the Geography department of the University of Krakow.

The Barony Castle in Eddleston is where the Polish Army was based, with their remit being to defend the East Coast of Scotland.

50m x 40m. Scale of 1:10,000.

This is quite the thing. First time I've visited, on a whim today. Love it!
IMG_20201010_170551.thumb.jpeg.f7664deb78f4388fe09aa66a27f11420.jpeg
Was going to post that after I saw it on Susan Calmon the other night.

23 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The Great Polish Map of Scotland in Eddleston.

"I shall die, but I shall leave my map as a gift to the Scottish people to thank them for the hospitality they showed the Poles when it was needed." - Jan Tomasik, Polish army sergeant stationed in Galashiels during the war.

After the war, he became a Borders hotelier and fulfilled his ambition to create a giant relief map of Scotland, with the help of the Geography department of the University of Krakow.

The Barony Castle in Eddleston is where the Polish Army was based, with their remit being to defend the East Coast of Scotland.

50m x 40m. Scale of 1:10,000.

This is quite the thing. First time I've visited, on a whim today. Love it!
IMG_20201010_170551.jpeg

I was at a wedding there in 2017 and obviously it’s a struggle to get a good photo as there's no height and the wide angle just enlarges the nearest bits. It's a bit like that shitey weather map the BBC had, showing Scotland as a wee speck at the top of a big triangle.
Somebody’s been there with a drone though:

AE05796D-D3FF-4DFF-A7EB-6FD24742B724.thumb.jpeg.d28b9345317568132a7ce80af1be4994.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Do many other countries have follies like we do. I.e just pointless shit to say I have cash

Stuff like the obelisk in Aberdour just seem pretty odd things to stick up.

image.png.a08ef5b8d51e51addc4ef148875c8693.png

England and Wales certainly have as much pointless shit, mainly but not all from the victorians.  Castell Coch and several hillside chalk things spring to mind. 

Photos I took of a rather random grave a few years ago:
image.png.040f7d4190a96d6a2c359f7277345e9f.png
image.png.893cb13fae5115c62cb368ce792b5f92.png
I've been meaning to walk out to the Covenanter's Grave, which is maybe seven or eight miles into the deepest middle-of-nowhere part of the Pentlands from me.

Legend is that a soldier died during the battle of Rullion Green and wanted to be buried within sight of the Ayrshire Hills. So he was carried out into the hills until that was made so.

I set off for it during lockdown and got to within a mile, only to find the farmer had closed access to his farm due to COVID. I'll make it back eventually.

Picture from here: http://www.covenanter.org.uk/black_law_unknown_covenanter.htmlunnamed.jpeg