The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

IMG_20200529_074408.thumb.jpg.64954c72fc2994aac2a0f6b59db574c6.jpg

This sculpture sits in the grounds of the old Woodilee asylum in Lenzie. When I first saw it, it was very much a WTF moment. However, when you read into it and see it's an acknowledgement of all the women who worked in the hospitals it is kind of apt and I quite like it.  

Irene at Woodilee link

37 minutes ago, Bulbasaur said:

Craigentinny Crescent in Edinburgh has a massive mausoleum in the middle of a street of suburban bungalows.

image.png.d1008752c9313d4247cd7525f133f19b.png

Similarly the last remnant of Kirkliston Distillery in Pikes Pool Drive.

499635_0.202010051353.jpg&width=1024&height=683It's actually up for sale just now, o/o £310k

https://espc.com/property/18-pikes-pool-drive-kirkliston-eh29-9gh/35878478?sid=259925

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Similarly the last remnant of Kirkliston Distillery in Pikes Pool Drive.

499635_0.202010051353.jpg&width=1024&height=683It's actually up for sale just now, o/o £310k

https://espc.com/property/18-pikes-pool-drive-kirkliston-eh29-9gh/35878478?sid=259925

That's a lovely house. What was that posters name who wanted to go half's on a hoose again? 

You can also imagine my surprise when I wandered up a hill just outside of Fochabers a few weeks back to find a massive pyramid at the top.

IMG-20200808-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.ae80c45a3ee50b079648ed57858bdd13.jpeg

#ancientaliens

Also, I'm sure it's not the only place to try this, but Tyrebagger forest (just outside of Aberdeen) has some real random sh*t* scattered in and around it.

Beacon_sculpture_in_Tyrebagger_Forest_-_

*and it really is sh*t

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Surprised the Pineapple near Airth hasn't had a mention yet.

B0AN76_Alamy_B0AN76-Dunmore-Park_trans_N

I did the tour of Dumfries House a few years ago, and they had loads of decorative pineapples on stuff. Apparently, they were a symbol of wealth, and people who had access to a real one would rent it to their pals if they happened to be hosting a dinner party, as guests would see the pineapple on the table and think "These folk must be loaded".

The guide did not offer an opinion on which way people like to insert them, which meant a great P&B question still remains unanswered.

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Treasure Island bench beside the cave that inspired the book. Bridge of Allan 

One of the fancier benches I've seen is this one in Keith, right beside the A96 at St Rufus Church

image.png.a2d8f2d2f3a84c8a54e7b1f2e8fe9b69.png 

Was placed in memory of the local minister who was rarely away from his two labs and always seemed to wear odd socks (the colours here being those of Keith FC).

Eta:  for avoidance of doubt, the woman is not part of the bench as some Madam Tussauds-type effort.

Edited by Hedgecutter