The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

41 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

He's an utter shitebag and has many, many shortcomings but that story is incredibly one sided. He took a hidin' and got his buskin takings stole from the wee arsehole and went looking for him at his families shop. Can't condone what happened when he found them though. 

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

3 months ago? He's broken that multiple times since. Probably every day.

He is in town everyday, just moved spot. I've no idea why he isn't lifted unless he just isn't drunk so gets away with it. 

11 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's one on the the Meadows in central Edinburgh and a whalebone arch on top of North Berwick Law which is now made of fibreglass after it rotted away beyond repair.

The one at Bragar in Lewis was coated in fibreglass as it was deteriorating. It has the original harpoon that was used, sticking out the top.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He's an utter shitebag and has many, many shortcomings but that story is incredibly one sided. He took a hidin' and got his buskin takings stole from the wee arsehole and went looking for him at his families shop. Can't condone what happened when he found them though. 

He is in town everyday, just moved spot. I've no idea why he isn't lifted unless he just isn't drunk so gets away with it. 

He was back yesterday. I was accompanying a couple of service users to an optician appointment at Boots and he was vamping away as per. Got me thinking that this is the soundtrack to their working life. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I have seen him laying into another homeless guy who was near his spot.

Safe to say mental illness, alcoholism and homeless politics are a complicated area 

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I have seen him laying into another homeless guy who was near his spot.

Safe to say mental illness, alcoholism and homeless politics are a complicated area 

I once shoved a couple of quid into his hat and within a minute a couple of younger guys came across to claim it. 

As you say, it's complicated... 

21 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

IMG_1627.jpg

The words God is Love painted on the cliff face just outside Tobermory.
I believe it was originally painted on by a minister after his daughter had survived a fall from the cliff.
Unknown person(s) repaint it every year apparently.

Similar to this stone on the Dava Moor. f**k knows who paints it. Was there when I was about 10 and it’s still going.

7483E63E-9566-4852-A14D-76E3FEF193D8.jpeg.c6e13808ea0df3b66ce9646679dc8f54.jpeg

19 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Buccaneer petrol station, Elgin

image.jpeg.c7a8bb5776ab81cc711c4951382e2674.jpeg

Aitkenheads garage if you don’t mind. The go to place for getting served drink from the age of 12-18. 

The gargoyle of the xenomorph from Alien is not just on any Paisley church, it's on the 13th century Paisley Abbey.

Here's another Paisley church, the Oakshaw High church where, legend goes, a steeplejack fell to his death when fixing the weather vane.

His heart, handkerchief and glasses were later incorporated into the cobbles in  the churchyard.

image.jpeg.900424c02a2b8db7241f05f121ab185c.jpeg

When a Steeplejack fell to his death in Paisley - Paisley Scotland

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Similar to this stone on the Dava Moor. f**k knows who paints it. Was there when I was about 10 and it’s still going.

7483E63E-9566-4852-A14D-76E3FEF193D8.jpeg.c6e13808ea0df3b66ce9646679dc8f54.jpeg

Surely there’s another one with “Dalglish nets the rebound”?

Edited by The Mantis

Arbroath has a knock off version of Fast Eddie that goes by the name Left Hand Luke:

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/lichtie-let-die-arbroath-busker-left-hand-luke-in-court-after-claiming-to-be-james-bond-while-wafting-toy-gun/

He had a stint years ago where he used to dress up as Johnny Depp from Pirates of the Caribbean. Good to see he's moved on and is now James Bond.

Reminds me of a picture I took in Dunkeld last year.  Usually places only bother with such signs for "so and so, famous for whatever, lived here from X to Y", but this one seems to be the very definition of "scrambling for relevance".
image.png.fcbf8d48941be2a10d81efeedbfac713.png

Eta: on the subject of scrambling for relevance, there's the seemingly random 'John Lennon Memorial Garden' in Durness, put there because he visited on holiday.
b25lY21zOjYyOTdhOWMwLWEyZTgtNDUwZC05N2U0LTVjNjY2NjQ2NzcwYjo3ZTA2YTg1OC03YWExLTRhNzYtOGExMS1lMGQ0MWNjNzRiNGU=.jpg?width=640&key=7e5c9978f441e21c50b67f5b4cb1a942e9b2cfa78bce1226caf8e84d540fcb72
BOAqqdf7ysBf88O7qJiPdJsP5Fs5WKrSSBwge1OYJxpY8hhfR_34nqnPise3bczCPDJZI-xPfFctDySQCFBEjoIMTz21U1Dbt75S1HS5R50euzW6JqZuXWgWfw&key=6ea4d86728eb4a4ec77335fa8e58597b69439a1608a7de65f397644c8f725bdf

He’s got a bench in Princes Street Gardens too.

IMG_4525.jpg