The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Whale Bone Arch – Outer Hebrides, Scotland - Atlas Obscura

Whalebone arch - Picture of Dave's Hebridean Archaeological Tours, Isle of  Lewis - Tripadvisor

The Whale Bone Arch, Lewis

5 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's one on the the Meadows in central Edinburgh and a whalebone arch on top of North Berwick Law which is now made of fibreglass after it rotted away beyond repair.

There's one in Stewart Park in Aberdeen too.

Stewart Park-1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

On the subject of trees beside roads, this pitiful attempt at disguising a mobile mast beside the A9 Keir Roundabout is fooling absolutely nobody. 

image.png.705a172ee7f29b8b66ca74bee77109ab.png

There's quite a few of them going about, like you say, pitiful.

That lump of rock above reminded me of the Dwarfie Stane on Hoy.

At some point between 2500 and 3500 years ago, somebody saw a giant boulder in the middle of f***ing nowhere and had nothing better to do other than carve out a big man sized hole in it.

DwarfieStane.jpg 

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

On the subject of trees beside roads, this pitiful attempt at disguising a mobile mast beside the A9 Keir Roundabout is fooling absolutely nobody. 

image.png.705a172ee7f29b8b66ca74bee77109ab.png

Not been set on fire yet so it's fooling some people.

The random statue of Rob Roy MacGregor by the bridge over the Dee in Culter has always seemed odd, seeing as he has literally no link to the place at all.

757070290_4_rob-roy-sword-swordsman.jpg

Edited by Cyclizine

28 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

The random statue of Rob Roy MacGregor by the bridge over the Dee in Culter has always seemed odd, seeing as he has literally no link to the place at all.

Reminds me of a picture I took in Dunkeld last year.  Usually places only bother with such signs for "so and so, famous for whatever, lived here from X to Y", but this one seems to be the very definition of "scrambling for relevance".

image.png.fcbf8d48941be2a10d81efeedbfac713.png

Eta: on the subject of scrambling for relevance, there's the seemingly random 'John Lennon Memorial Garden' in Durness, put there because he visited on holiday.

b25lY21zOjYyOTdhOWMwLWEyZTgtNDUwZC05N2U0

BOAqqdf7ysBf88O7qJiPdJsP5Fs5WKrSSBwge1OY

Edited by Hedgecutter

Although I made reference to this on another thread, I feel that a road sign for Kilmarnock at Haymarket is deserving of a place here.  It's not even a continuation of the A70 that you turn onto there. 

image.png.10c1016c45cabdfecdb240adcb93fd27.png

That said...

I'd never been to Ayrshire
I hitched down one saturday
Sixty miles to Kilmarnock
To see Hibernian play

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

757070290_4_rob-roy-sword-swordsman.jpg

I looked this up. I'd always thought this was at "Rob Roy's leap". I see somewhere near Loch Lomond is claiming that story. Anyway here is some of the backstory including a tenuous connection with the wider area. https://www.robroyontherock.com/information/

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I looked this up. I'd always thought this was at "Rob Roy's leap". I see somewhere near Loch Lomond is claiming that story. Anyway here is some of the backstory including a tenuous connection with the wider area. https://www.robroyontherock.com/information/

I'm rather tempted to finance and erect a sign somewhere that says "This section of river is the only one in Scotland that that Rob Roy didn't jump over whilst escaping from the Redcoats".  Falls of Feugh would be a good spot.

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm rather tempted to finance and erect a sign somewhere that says "This section of river is the only one in Scotland that that Rob Roy didn't jump over whilst escaping from the Redcoats".  Falls of Feugh would be a good spot.

Could be onto something. A blue plaque for the only house in Edinburgh that Sean Connery didn't deliver milk to.