The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

On 09/10/2020 at 15:51, Cyclizine said:

The random statue of Rob Roy MacGregor by the bridge over the Dee in Culter has always seemed odd, seeing as he has literally no link to the place at all.

757070290_4_rob-roy-sword-swordsman.jpg

Old Rab was replaced a number of years ago. And like so many projects like these, they made an arse of it.

The New Rob Roy Statue | Rob Roy On The Rock

The old seagull statue at Fraserburgh pool, which was spruced up and relocated to the new pool when it was built. In my younger days I never realised it was meant to be seagulls. Fantastic for climbing on though.

Land of the Big Sky.: Art or vandalism?

0001.jpg

The Inchindown oil tanks built inside of the (now near hollow) hill near Alness, formerly used for ship fuel storage during WW2.  You can wander about them these days if you have the right contacts. 

image.jpeg.9ecb88ad382a2c40b7c50dc60f0fbbad.jpeg

There are similar on Hoy (used for ships at Scapa Flow), but they’re a total no go zone as the reek of gas coming out of the well-gated entrances along the hillside is something else.  Just walking into any of the entrance tunnels would probably knock you flat out. 

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The Inchindown oil tanks built inside of the (now near hollow) hill near Alness, formerly used for ship fuel storage during WW2.  You can wander about them these days if you have the right contacts. 

image.jpeg.9ecb88ad382a2c40b7c50dc60f0fbbad.jpeg

There are similar on Hoy (used for ships at Scapa Flow), but they’re a total no go zone as the reek of gas coming out of the well-gated entrances along the hillside is something else.  Just walking into any of the entrance tunnels would probably knock you flat out. 

My grandfather, a civil engineer, was involved in the building of the Alness ones. 

5 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The Martyrs Monument in Stirling Old Town Cemetery. Commemorates the Wigtown covenanters who were tied to a stake and left to drown under the incoming tide.

The website of the cemetery notes that this story has "no connection whatsoever with Stirling".
IMG_20200906_193057.jpeg

It always amazes me that the glass has never been smashed by neds. 

Near to the martyr's monument is the not at all masonic, oh no, Star Pyramid:

1183792289_starpyramid.thumb.jpg.4a97a83d0745d1d2aca6c99e7f401dc7.jpg

Edinburgh's twin town San Diego gave us a statue of their equivalent of Greyfriars Bobby: 

statue.thumb.jpg.dab69eb57eb4a89b16a3aa0c3fec649c.jpg

As he was called "Bum" he's been stuck in a corner of Princes Street Gardens. But at least he doesn't get his nose rubbed by thick tourists swallowing some shite an Australian made up a decade ago. 

On 10/10/2020 at 19:26, afca32 said:

Also in the above mentioned cliffs is this cave which someone appears to sleep/have slept in. It's high ceilinged enough for most people to stand up in the middle but still a pretty tight wee space and can't imagine it'd be an easy place to sleep on a stormy night. Pictures aren't great I'm afraid.

There were previously plenty of instances of people living in caves around Scotland, a couple of examples shown below.  However, cave dwelling has been banned since 1915 when the government decided they didn’t want fires along the coast as this was a bit of an issue with Germans being able to navigate British waters during wartime.

Caiplie caves, East Neuk

image.jpeg.8e7579281ad88d84720871f3ce5cf204.jpeg

Hopeman, Moray

image.thumb.jpeg.d776b1d69f6cfa6e4e67dbfa188e390c.jpeg

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Near to the martyr's monument is the not at all masonic, oh no, Star Pyramid:

Just reminded me of a weird masonic-like star in Old Aberdeen.  To the best of my knowledge, the jury is still out on what the hell it was for.

07BA3A71-4F73-4E49-9065-BA5251FB9C73.thumb.jpeg.fa741e57abc58c9394a86279af647214.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just reminded me of a weird masonic-like star in Old Aberdeen.  To the best of my knowledge, the jury is still out on what the hell it was for.

07BA3A71-4F73-4E49-9065-BA5251FB9C73.thumb.jpeg.fa741e57abc58c9394a86279af647214.jpeg

Olden days version of the chalk mark on the pavement to denote there are dogs worth stealing IMO.

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Electric Brae.

The optical illusion road...

IMG_0407.JPG.jpg

Just heard this getting referenced by Scouse rapper Lee Scott in one of his tunes the other day. 

I've been a couple of times and it's never worked for me. Clearly doing it wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Just heard this getting referenced by Scouse rapper Lee Scott in one of his tunes the other day. 

I've been a couple of times and it's never worked for me. Clearly doing it wrong. 

You maybe went to the wrong place, Eddy Grant was guilty of giving wrong directions.

IMG_0911.jpg

Chimneys in Loch Cluanie. The Loch is on the road from Invermoriston to Shiel Bridge on the road to Skye

I’d never noticed it before but watched a programme on BBC Scotland a few years ago about arial photography in Scotland from just after the war, which mentioned the story and the photos behind it. I look for them every time I drive past now. It’s only visible when the level is low in summer

The original Loch Cluanie was a lot smaller than it is today. There used to be some houses on the banks which are now underwater after they flooded the valley when creating the hydro dam in the 50s

There is a road, a bridge and all sorts still under the water but the tops of the chimneys of one of the old houses is all that is visible these days

3 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

IMG_0911.jpg

Chimneys in Loch Cluanie. The Loch is on the road from Invermoriston to Shiel Bridge on the road to Skye

I’d never noticed it before but watched a programme on BBC Scotland a few years ago about arial photography in Scotland from just after the war, which mentioned the story and the photos behind it. I look for them every time I drive past now. It’s only visible when the level is low in summer

The original Loch Cluanie was a lot smaller than it is today. There used to be some houses on the banks which are now underwater after they flooded the valley when creating the hydro dam in the 50s

There is a road, a bridge and all sorts still under the water but the tops of the chimneys of one of the old houses is all that is visible these days

Similarly, Loch Glascarnoch road and bridge. Same era of hydro scheme. The road is in very good nick. This was all under water again this week - photo from August when I took a walk along it. 

ps there was also an awful lot of literal weird and random shit in the bushes next to the lay-by, judging by all the used bog roll lying about.

DE1BB98A-2B50-43ED-8767-AB20A0B7E296.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There were previously plenty of instances of people living in caves around Scotland, a couple of examples shown below.  However, cave dwelling has been banned since 1915 when the government decided they didn’t want fires along the coast as this was a bit of an issue with Germans being able to navigate British waters during wartime.

Caiplie caves, East Neuk

image.jpeg.8e7579281ad88d84720871f3ce5cf204.jpeg

Hopeman, Moray

image.thumb.jpeg.d776b1d69f6cfa6e4e67dbfa188e390c.jpeg

That's a shame as cave dweller is a good insult.