The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Is that an abandoned quarry or just a plain ol’ big hole?

Collapsed cave, entirely natural plain ol' big hole.

Eta: you can see the sea at the base of the cliff in the top image

Edited by Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Collapsed cave, entirely natural plain ol' big hole.

Eta: you can see the sea at the base of the cliff in the top image

There’s a smaller one of these collapsed cave coastal blow-hole type things at Eshaness in Shetland on the coastline looking over to Dore Holm. A bit scary as you just stumble across it and there’s no warning signs or fencing around it. Still more than big enough to easily swallow a man (no euph) or a truck and definitely advisable to keep the dug on a lead. 

Additional pic of Dore Holm just because.

45F8AD72-F9AC-4658-86D8-DCE44C66B0F9.jpeg

EF64B7EF-3C92-41A6-87BF-23C4C69AEC61.jpeg

519CA958-8998-4444-AA85-A73B049D8A27.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

Leave Fort William heading northbound, swing a left onto the A87 at Invergarry, climb up the hill past Loch Garry and pull into a little layby up the top of the ascent and there are hundreds upon hundreds of little cairns with stunning views over Loch Loyne:

3844005784_4bfcf6e28f_b.thumb.jpg.9a1070ae5c82da8ba6587a793999b0f2.jpg
316996680_images-2020-10-12T222236_834.jpeg.f377c6c4261c78b84ca4cfc312d9f3ae.jpeg

They spoil the scenery.
I knock them down every chance I get.

IMG_6481.jpg.4df83d133d1fd52b0297618645a93578.jpg

Maggies Monument, Dunning.

Dedicated to a witch Called Maggie Wall who was burnt at the cross during the 1600’s. However, there’s no evidence she existed, or any burning happened on the spot.

Want to know what makes it a bit more creepy?

IMG_6482.jpg.c84d0fd049f775ed9fc213582f9b8722.jpg

Ian Brady and Myra Hindley took photos at it before the moors murders began.

There’s no record of this existing until the late 1800’s, but the woods that used to surround it were known as Maggie Wall woods as recent as 1829.

Not so much an abandoned village as one that was never lived in. Polphail, next to Portavadie on the Cowal Peninsula, was built in the 70s for workers on the construction of oil rigs nearby. The latter never happened for various reasons, so no one ever moved in. I believe it was finally demolished in 2016. Some good pictures below-

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/residential-sites/33415-scotlands-ghost-village-polphail-june-2016-a.html#.X4TGQxNKjq0

12 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Not so much an abandoned village as one that was never lived in. Polphail, next to Portavadie on the Cowal Peninsula, was built in the 70s for workers on the construction of oil rigs nearby. The latter never happened for various reasons, so no one ever moved in. I believe it was finally demolished in 2016. Some good pictures below-

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/residential-sites/33415-scotlands-ghost-village-polphail-june-2016-a.html#.X4TGQxNKjq0

I've read that article before and I'm sure it was from someone posting the link on here. 

Fascinating. 

bing.jpg.88f58a701fb1f6f5af7b8524f9293df3.jpg

See the church and houses?

Well no, you won't. This is Buckhaven Links and the site of a church and houses that were deliberately buried with spoil from the Wellesley Colliery in the early 1900s. There's half a village under there. 

buck.thumb.JPG.3d12dfdeed4e0ee2faa674d5cfa4847c.JPG

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

I've read that article before and I'm sure it was from someone posting the link on here. 

Fascinating. 

Might’ve been me. Unsure...

Aside from some of the information in the article above, not only did it turn out that a massive cock-up in demand forecasting was made, but what they thought would be state-of-the-art oil rigs were ultimately going to be useless. It also transpired that the site itself was built on land that had never been purchased from its owner, nor had the appropriate planning permissions been granted. 

16 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

bing.jpg.88f58a701fb1f6f5af7b8524f9293df3.jpg

See the church and houses?

Well no, you won't. This is Buckhaven Links and the site of a church and houses that were deliberately buried with spoil from the Wellesley Colliery in the early 1900s. There's half a village under there. 

buck.thumb.JPG.3d12dfdeed4e0ee2faa674d5cfa4847c.JPG

Why?

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Sea coal mine near cove harbour berwickshire

There are remains of an old mine shaft out in the Forth just off Culross (covered by the tide most of the time).  Pretty mental that folk were able to do this back in 1590, keeping it operational for 35 years.

The-Moat-Pit-.jpg

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Why?

I'm presuming they couldn't dump the spoil in the Forth as it would have been swept straight into Methil Docks and silted them up.

image.png.7d25f65a8d1c1f4baa08d6078f39a8f0.png

ETA site of Wellesley Colliery

Edited by NewBornBairn

8 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I'm presuming they couldn't dump the spoil in the Forth as it would have been swept straight into Methil Docks and silted them up.

Didn't stop Longannet when it came to ash slurry seeing as they built an entire peninsula-type thing with it beside Culross / Valleyfield.  The extent of it is mental.

image.png.bc1464ea847447fa4651df52697b2e96.png

Edited by Hedgecutter