The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

2 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

https://cdn.euroweeklynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/EkIKP9WXkAETEKp.png?x71803There is a nuclear sub on fire in the clyde just off helensburgh

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/10/12/breaking-news-nuclear-sub-fire-sparks-panic-in-scotland/

RIP Weegies

Its like 2012 all over again.

52 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I have worked on Flotta a couple of times and had no idea this was there!

The terminal I presume?* I worked there for a couple of years, took the bikes they had spare out and cycled passed them thinking wtf. I actually had in my head that the penguin had a machine gun but google pics shows otherwise.

I crossed over to another Island one day (Hoy) and strangely the port had the Russian flag hoisted, wasn't too sure if it had been annexed or not.

*In fact must be as there is literally f**k all else there.

38 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

https://cdn.euroweeklynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/EkIKP9WXkAETEKp.png?x71803There is a nuclear sub on fire in the clyde just off helensburgh

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/10/12/breaking-news-nuclear-sub-fire-sparks-panic-in-scotland/

Been hoping for a Chernobyl spin off tbh.

Very strange that when googling this it appears this spanish expat paper is the first one covering it.

Edited by gannonball

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The terminal I presume?* I worked there for a couple of years, took the bikes they had spare out and cycled passed them thinking wtf. I actually had in my head that the penguin had a machine gun but google pics shows otherwise.

I crossed over to another Island one day (Hoy) and strangely the port had the Russian flag hoisted, wasn't too sure if it had been annexed or not.

*In fact must be as there is literally f**k all else there.

Yes it was, spent a few shutdowns on there, working with a mech with one eye (lost it in really tragic circumstances). Canna mind his nickname, owned a pub and I'm sure his name was Lee.

Did you go to the 'pub community centre'? I never bothered.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Yes it was, spent a few shutdowns on there, working with a mech with one eye (lost it in really tragic circumstances). Canna mind his nickname, owned a pub and I'm sure his name was Lee.

Did you go to the 'pub community centre'? I never bothered.

Aye think it might be a tiffy your talking about with the eye, Lee spence? 
The community centre is just about dead now (open the odd Friday now if that I think) .If you went out and about Friday when it was you could be tested (zero alcohol policy) so wasnt worth the risk for a pint. Even the only shop didnt have licence when I was there and think thats closing now too. They have got rid of most non-orcardians now to save costs so the accommodation is a ghost town now really.

Changed times from speaking to the folk who have worked there 40 plus years with Piper Alpha coming on stream and 400 folk there getting pished in the terminal bar with an air strip too.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Aye think it might be a tiffy your talking about with the eye, Lee spence? 
The community centre is just about dead now (open the odd Friday now if that I think) .If you went out and about Friday when it was you could be tested (zero alcohol policy) so wasnt worth the risk for a pint. Even the only shop didnt have licence when I was there and think thats closing now too. They have got rid of most non-orcardians now to save costs so the accommodation is a ghost town now really.

Changed times from speaking to the folk who have worked there 40 plus years with Piper Alpha coming on stream and 400 folk there getting pished in the terminal bar with an air strip too.

That's him! Great guy! Aye Tiffy right enough. Felt like an island prison with very little phone reception. 

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

I have worked on Flotta a couple of times and had no idea this was there!

Is Flotta even there?

I ask as my so-called up-to-date O&G infrastructure map has oil being pumped into Scapa Flow.  Maybe some idiot forgot to add the island of Flotta to the map, but one cannot simply rule out total obliteration. 

Screenshot_2020-10-12-14-57-03-1.png.f53bd315649e6b405340a49799999b0c.png

Leave Fort William heading northbound, swing a left onto the A87 at Invergarry, climb up the hill past Loch Garry and pull into a little layby up the top of the ascent and there are hundreds upon hundreds of little cairns with stunning views over Loch Loyne:

3844005784_4bfcf6e28f_b.jpg

images - 2020-10-12T222236.834.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's an old bus that's been converted into a greasy spoon cafe beside the A96 at Pitcaple.

27348263707_00cfa2f291_b.jpg

Looks somewhat dodgy, but it does a pretty decent cooked breakfast.

That photo doesnt do it justice. Anytime ive seen it the windows are sweating with condensation.