The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

He stayed in the Murrayfield area (relatives must have been posh) and went to the cinema in Gorgie.

I wonder if he ever got dragged along to Tynecastle; the original title of "8 days a week" being "8 games to go"...

His Edinburgh based uncle was a dentist.

15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's a building on Perth Road in Dundee that has a creepy wee goblin-type thing looking out a window,  and some sort of otter or meerkat on its roof (Streetview)

I'm sure there was a write up in the Evening Tele a while back about the goblin (not sure on the meerkat) but I can't find it. I'll ask about in work as a few guys have bounced about houses on the Perth Rd since they were kids, they're bound to have stories. 

Despite spending a decent chunk of my life living in Aberdeen, I had never noticed this seemingly random bunch of cobbles on Union Street until somebody pointed it out to me relatively recently.  In this case it marks out Huxter's Row, a Medieval road that was flattened to build the iconic town house (and perhaps Brew Dog).
204930864152fbabe24e5569.43207540.jpg&key=edc06f4ccf56b830d88ee5c5697edaba1192b2e0ba2a9d8ec9d8f4b0146551e3
This has me wondering what other sort of random or weird things exists around Scotland which I'd probably walk or drive straight past without appreciating, so teach me P&B...

Also, I only recently stumbled across a massive quarry right beside the A96, just west of Elgin whilst wandering through the woods (don't ask).  I've passed this junction more times than I care to remember and never realised that there's a 40m-high vertical cliff-face (with trees obscuring the edge) where I've drawn the red line below, so veer off here and you're mincemeat.  Gets a mention on the old OS maps but (suspiciously) not the modern ones.
image.thumb.png.1c788deb0449b54768f64d8918a09110.png
image.png.1d9fa69c804114e6d074e53ef7ded0d2.png

Anyway, over to you...

Great thread. Keep them coming.

19 hours ago, mizfit said:

Apologies it would seem the monument was built in the 1700’s after said businessman had been inspired by ruined castles on the Rhind whilst touring Germany.

Castles made out of bacon? It'll never catch on.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

He stayed in the Murrayfield area (relatives must have been posh) and went to the cinema in Gorgie.

I wonder if he ever got dragged along to Tynecastle; the original title of "8 days a week" being "8 games to go"...

Oh, we need the points, Ann
Guess you know it's true
Hope you realise, Ann
There's still 8 games to go

Play them, win them, play them, win them
We really need the points, Ann
Eight games to go

Eight games to go, Ann
Always on my mind
Eight games to go, Ann
Need the points first time

Play them, win them, play them, win them
We really need the points, Ann
Eight games to go

Eight games to go
We really need to win them
Eight games to go
Is not enough to escape the drop

12 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Powis Manor, now the council-owned Powis Community Centre beside St Machar Academy.

Thanks. I walked along Bedford Road many a time but never through that scheme so never knew it was there. I also walked through the Powis Gates on a regular basis and did think them unusual for a halls of residence entrance.

14 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

There's two wrecked RN midget submarines in Aberlady Bay

Midget Submarine wrecks at Aberlady Bay, Scotland : submechanophobia

I find it impossible to cross the Tay Bridge and not look out for the (presumed WW2) fake submarines beside Dundee harbour.   Nothing more than lumps of concrete on  tidal islands of rubble.

Screenshot_2020-10-12-11-37-12-1.png.b10d497a33365ab43f595243a7259bde.png

Similar with the island beside the Forth Bridge with buildings to give the profile of a battleship.
CBC5C158-FA51-40D3-B32B-2CD753207A97.thumb.jpeg.8b892a558061cad941ed998d68113a59.jpeg

Marvellous.

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Thanks. I walked along Bedford Road many a time...

I’ll wager that you walked this past this random little house without knowing that it was built to replace the tenement section that was blown to smithereens during the Blitz.

B7026C6E-6E9D-4924-A04F-FE52FD9D817B.thumb.jpeg.a8fe2811068d14a63e7d615bc612c0ce.jpeg

TimberPondsClyde?action=download&upname=TimberPond02.jpg

Ever noticed these sticking out of the water in the Clyde as you drive to Greenock? It's where they used to season logs to build ships. Basically they'd leave them in the water for months to soak up the salt water and harden. Dates back to the 18th century.