The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

Somebodys back garden behind EOS club Camelon's Carmuirs Park.

camelon13.JPG&key=fcf6a0002b58e8c5c383cfeef4cd55556e3050490d179db061605d48df6bec26

This must be a Falkirk thing. A guy has built himself one of these monstrosities but only bigger (2levels). You can see it after you leave Grahamston Station just past the wee skate park over the bridge.

On 15 October 2020 at 19:02, Waspy said:

This must be a Falkirk thing.

Anyone know how activity in ‘the Falkirk Triangle’ is these days?

I for one am always amazed when reports of alien activity suddenly drop off as soon as everybody has a phone camera in their pocket in a dash cam age.  You would expect the opposite, wouldn’t you?

Scotland had its own Area 51, the Falkirk Triangle, centred on Bonnybridge where, each year another 300 or so “sightings”. are reported. The first was in 1992, when  local businessman, James Walker was driving between Falkirk and Bonnybridge. He stopped when he spotted a shining, star-shaped object which was hovering over the road, blocking his path. 

Walker, who must have been exceedingly phlegmatic, said the object flew away at “an incredible speed” before he did the same. Others have reported seeing a “howling” UFO that buzzed their car, while a cigar-shaped craft was spotted landing on a golf course, probably getting in an early round. Others claim to have been captured by aliens in the Triangle, taken aboard for examination, their memories of what then happened wiped. I believe they believed it.

The Provost of Falkirk, and independent councillor Billy Buchanan, certainly does. He has written to three Prime Ministers demanding inquiries, so far with no result. “How do we know aliens aren’t walking about?” he said in 2005. How indeed? We’ve all had our suspicions of people.

But why Bonnybridge? Is it some interstellar interchange, or is the Falkirk Triangle actually a window into another dimension? Given the number of craft spotted, the council should impose some kind of congestion charge, although enforcement might be problematic.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18562347.bonnybridge-roswell-ufo-hotspot-perhaps-falkirk-triangle-actually-window-another-dimension-/

eta: I can never read the words "another dimension" without getting this stuck in my head.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 12/10/2020 at 12:54, Hedgecutter said:

I’ll wager that you walked this past this random little house without knowing that it was built to replace the tenement section that was blown to smithereens during the Blitz.

B7026C6E-6E9D-4924-A04F-FE52FD9D817B.thumb.jpeg.a8fe2811068d14a63e7d615bc612c0ce.jpeg

Must have walked past that hundreds of times without even noticing. 

Anyone got some good photos of the small village down near the harbour at Aberdeen? It's like walking somewhere remote AF, absolutely love it. 

Greyfriars Cemetary hidden away in the centre of Inverness, almost completely enclosed by the BT exchange building.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Blackfriars_Abbey_%28Greyfriars_Cemetery%29_Inverness_Scotland_%284968695833%29.jpg

In the 1970s, as telecommunications became more prolific (but before miniaturisation took full hold) there was a need to extend the Telephone Exchange, but it was not possible due to the ancient graveyard, although other land further down Friars Street was available. A novel solution was adopted, with a "bridge" (and enclosed corridor at first floor level being used to provide access between the two buildings without disturbing those resting beneath.

At the site of Macbiehill (or Coalyburn) railway station, disused since 1960. Built in the middle of nowhere (north of West Linton) initially to serve a lime mine, initially closed in 1933, but then used to serve an explosives store from 1939 until its closure.

The railway was built to serve Dolphinton (population then 260!) and West Linton, connecting them to the main Edinburgh to Peebles lines at Leadburn Junction.

Makes for a nice walk from the village. IMG_20201020_172621.jpegIMG_20201020_175231.jpeg

E0B1EED5-6F87-4BE2-BD76-FD0F3ABA6F07.thumb.jpeg.e799652b4bc4221e9fd5de72c6e73a74.jpeg
The Feith Uaine bothy, miles from anywhere and Long known as the “Tarf Hotel” because of it’s AA sign. The sign was kept on after the bothy was renovated.

C3932CB1-08A3-4CB0-AEE9-299D32FAA404.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

On 17/10/2020 at 10:19, Hedgecutter said:

Anyone know how activity in ‘the Falkirk Triangle’ is these days?

I for one am always amazed when reports of alien activity suddenly drop off as soon as everybody has a phone camera in their pocket in a dash cam age.  You would expect the opposite, wouldn’t you?

eta: I can never read the words "another dimension" without getting this stuck in my head.

As a Falkirk resident I believe the triangle still exists - Mainly in Councillor Buchanan’s head...

And in other news, I think I may have stumbled upon a portal to another dimension: 

ETA: Would have been better with the longer video but the video size limit on here is pitiful.

Edited by 8MileBU

This stone is planted in a park in the middle of a council scheme in Inverness, apparently not even in the spot where the plane crashed.

28632045300_9504ba279c_o.thumb.jpg.f4bc4d7421c3059409b92c87c7f825a5.jpg

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/1097472/crash-site-history-restored/

If it happened today, the chances are it would be a major disaster.

Yet, when a plane crashed 52 years ago in a sparsely-populated corner of Inverness, there was no loss of life – and a few minutes later, the crew headed to a local dance hall for a jig.

Now, more than half a century later, the fateful night when a Shackleton bomber from Kinloss plummeted out of the sky into a Culloden field is set to be marked with a new memorial.

The 10-man crew scrambled free – uninjured – a perilously short time before 4,000 gallons of aviation fuel burst into a conflagration of flames.

Community leaders feel the dramatic event has been all but forgotten. Yet a stone marker, situated off Cranmore Drive, is likely to be upgraded and promoted.

Smithton Hotel owner Mario Celli, 87, yesterday recounted the near catastrophe of January 10, 1964, when he spotted a glowing light in the sky and witnessed the explosion close to his home.

Senior crewmen subsequently headed for his home for help, while others made a dash towards the lights of the village hall, which was hosting a dance.

Mr Celli said: “I was a poultry farmer, delivering eggs and returning home at about 9pm. From my pick-up truck I noticed a glow in the sky and joked that it was a UFO. We lost vision of it.

“By the time I parked, the plane had crash landed at Stratton Farm.

“It slid across the field and hit a fence which acted like a brake. It slid up towards our house, ending up about 80 yards away in what’s now known as the Old Smithton Road.

“We were told to evacuate because of the risk of an explosion from leaking fuel. The plane eventually ignited and exploded. The shudder of the explosion knocked one man down. I bent down to pick him up.”

Mr Celli is excited at plans put forward by local community leaders to have the event recognised with a new plaque, but at a more relevant spot – a few hundred yards from the existing stone memorial – where the aircraft came to rest.

Local councillor Roddy Balfour added: “The issue was raised recently during a council meeting and there is renewed local interest.”

Smithton and Culloden Community Council vice chairman Graham Gordon, who is also working on the initiative, said: “Most people are unaware the green space is named Shackleton Park and of the intriguing story behind it.”