The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

On 10/10/2020 at 15:10, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A bridge in Peebles. No idea how I'd have crossed the lawn without its help. IMG_20201010_150832.jpeg

This is still my favourite post on this thread (after the Xenomorph gargoyle).  Seemed so utterly pointless that it had me close to tears.

However... I previously thought the same about a random bridge in a park beside Great Northern Road in Aberdeen (Woodside):

image.thumb.png.a39f31369b5ca2b39d582f5bfbdf41d2.png

Turned out that it's not so random after all as it was built to cross the almost mythical Aberdeen-Inverurie canal, the location of this bridge being marked in red below.

image.png.7d03f9d19c410252f7199e7c9e2d856e.png

Canal route map

Edited by Hedgecutter

IMG_0911.thumb.jpg.054934ed72fdbb1df33dbe866c2c0fca.jpg

Chimneys in Loch Cluanie. The Loch is on the road from Invermoriston to Shiel Bridge on the road to Skye

I’d never noticed it before but watched a programme on BBC Scotland a few years ago about arial photography in Scotland from just after the war, which mentioned the story and the photos behind it. I look for them every time I drive past now. It’s only visible when the level is low in summer

The original Loch Cluanie was a lot smaller than it is today. There used to be some houses on the banks which are now underwater after they flooded the valley when creating the hydro dam in the 50s

There is a road, a bridge and all sorts still under the water but the tops of the chimneys of one of the old houses is all that is visible these days

That program is currently showing on BBC2 on Saturday nights down here, some cracking stuff in it.

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is still my favourite post on this thread (after the Xenomorph gargoyle).  Seemed so utterly pointless that it had me close to tears.

However... I previously thought the same about a random bridge in a park beside Great Northern Road in Aberdeen (Woodside):

image.thumb.png.a39f31369b5ca2b39d582f5bfbdf41d2.png

Turned out that it's not so random after all as it was built to cross the almost mythical Aberdeen-Inverurie canal, the location of this bridge being marked in red below.

image.png.7d03f9d19c410252f7199e7c9e2d856e.png

Canal route map

Is the canal why there’s a “port” in Inverurie? (Elphinstone?)

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Is the canal why there’s a “port” in Inverurie? (Elphinstone?)

Correct.  It only ended up being used as a canal for about 50 years and much of it was replaced by railway, e.g. the bits at Mounthooly (hence Canal Place, usually anal Place according to the sign of course) and the top of Bedford Rd.

On 13/10/2020 at 14:01, Mr Tourette said:

IMG_0911.jpg

Chimneys in Loch Cluanie. The Loch is on the road from Invermoriston to Shiel Bridge on the road to Skye

I’d never noticed it before but watched a programme on BBC Scotland a few years ago about arial photography in Scotland from just after the war, which mentioned the story and the photos behind it. I look for them every time I drive past now. It’s only visible when the level is low in summer

The original Loch Cluanie was a lot smaller than it is today. There used to be some houses on the banks which are now underwater after they flooded the valley when creating the hydro dam in the 50s

There is a road, a bridge and all sorts still under the water but the tops of the chimneys of one of the old houses is all that is visible these days

Just to add to this. The modern A87 goes by Loch Cluanie but previously it went by Tomdoun and over the hill to Cluanie. But the old road was submerged by the damming of Loch Loyne. Bits of the old road occasionally reappear in dry spells.

The two photos below are from wiki from 2010 and show the south bridge (top) and the north bridge (bottom). Apparently the north bridge has collapsed since. A mate of mine took some pics there a few years ago but didn't have the nerve to cross the north bridge as it looked dodgy.Old-a87-2.jpg.e9ddbc864118cf2c00cc70e558a1f9b9.jpg

Old-a87-13.jpg.8d390e58e48662d23203d5881f23c7fa.jpg

14 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Just to add to this. The modern A87 goes by Loch Cluanie but previously it went by Tomdoun and over the hill to Cluanie. But the old road was submerged by the damming of Loch Loyne. Bits of the old road occasionally reappear in dry spells.

The two photos below are from wiki from 2010 and show the south bridge (top) and the north bridge (bottom). Apparently the north bridge has collapsed since. A mate of mine took some pics there a few years ago but didn't have the nerve to cross the north bridge as it looked dodgy.Old-a87-2.jpg.e9ddbc864118cf2c00cc70e558a1f9b9.jpg

looks like a half submerged crocodile-this is clearly a trap

The River Cart Aqueduct built in 1810 and engineered by Thomas Telford, this has a couple of notable claims.

One of the oldest, if not the oldest bridges in the world carrying a railway, it originally carried the Glasgow and Paisley Canal but was converted to carry the Paisley Canal railway in 1885.

Secondly, the span of the arch is 27m and is the longest span masonry aqueduct of the canal age on a British canal. It sits just over 9m above the White Cart.

The bridge is still used today on the PC Line.

Paisley Blackhall bridge.jpg

On 12/10/2020 at 16:14, tongue_tied_danny said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFOTJFltRMqZFAzW5Igjv

Same story with Rosefield Street in Dundee. You'll notice that part of the tenement block is a different colour.

Why?

Hermann Göring, that's why.

My old dad, born in 1934, said there was only ever one bomb dropped on Dundee. So its not true?

16 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Maybe a bouncing one?

A Bam duster?

His story is that he was evacuated, but he missed his mum so much they sent him back. And then the only bomb landed in Baxter park. 
He also goes on about how much he missed his dad and how worried he was when he was serving in the RAF. He only found out after the war that he was a cook at a base somewhere near Great Yarmouth.😀

3 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

A Bam duster?

His story is that he was evacuated, but he missed his mum so much they sent him back. And then the only bomb landed in Baxter park. 
He also goes on about how much he missed his dad and how worried he was when he was serving in the RAF. He only found out after the war that he was a cook at a base somewhere near Great Yarmouth.😀

You have reminded me of a workmate's old joke:

"My dad won a medal in the War for saving 100 men...

...he shot the cook"