The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

19 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I'm presuming they couldn't dump the spoil in the Forth as it would have been swept straight into Methil Docks and silted them up.

image.png.7d25f65a8d1c1f4baa08d6078f39a8f0.png

ETA site of Wellesley Colliery

Just googled it. Love all this kind of stuff. Wondered if it was already abandoned or still inhabited when they decided to literally spoil it. Turns out the residents were asked or ordered to gtf.

24 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Just googled it. Love all this kind of stuff. Wondered if it was already abandoned or still inhabited when they decided to literally spoil it. Turns out the residents were asked or ordered to gtf.

Pastmap is great for this sort of stuff.  This was the site in the early 1900s before the name 'Denbeath' was changed to 'Wellesley'

image.png.510cf5700e38effe51b13c85dff3a0a8.png

Does this mean that one day this place will be the 'Pompeii of the North' when they find some early 20th Century houses perfectly encased in ash?  That would be cool.

Edited by Hedgecutter

21 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Didn't stop Longannet when it came to ash slurry seeing as they built an entire peninsula-type thing with it beside Culross / Valleyfield.  The extent of it is mental.

image.png.bc1464ea847447fa4651df52697b2e96.png

c***s forgot to look after it a couple of years back. 

Seen they submitted their application last month to cap the last 3 lagoons and turn it into a nature reserve with a lochan/pond, grasslands and plantations to encourage wildlife. Plus a wind turbine to power a pump.

The Cockenzie Power Station ash lagoons at Levenhall (between Musselburgh and Prestonpans)are a nature reserve too. There's quite a good selection of waterfowl to be seen from the hides there.

This was also the sight of the shooting range for the 1986 Commonwealth Games.

15 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

c***s forgot to look after it a couple of years back

Seen they submitted their application last month to cap the last 3 lagoons and turn it into a nature reserve with a lochan/pond, grasslands and plantations to encourage wildlife. Plus a wind turbine to power a pump.

Aye, I think the lagoons dried up and ended up blowing nasty cancerogenic dust all over the surrounding villages.

How d'ya like your eggs in the morning?  I like mine with arsenic and cadmium

Edited by Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Pastmap is great for this sort of stuff.  This was the site in the early 1900s before the name 'Denbeath' was changed to 'Wellesley'

image.png.510cf5700e38effe51b13c85dff3a0a8.png

Does this mean that one day this place will be the 'Pompeii of the North' when they find some early 20th Century houses perfectly encased in ash?  That would be cool.

Except any ash-preserved bodies will be in the midst of hurling rocks or raising the middle finger to the miners.

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aye, I think the lagoons dried up and ended up blowing nasty cancerogenic dust all over the surrounding villages.

How do you like your eggs in the morning?  I like mine with arsenic and cadmium.

Aye we had a long dry spell and they either forgot or didn’t think to wet the lagoons. Hopefully they don’t forget to fit the pump when they put the turbine up or it’ll be clouds of bugs next time.

Edited by 8MileBU

I'm a big fan on the Barrowland Park in Glasgow. There's a path through the middle with a history of gig dates laid out like the spines of albums.

It's neither in chronological nor alphabetical order so you can wander through to find gigs of your memory popping up randomly.

The path was laid I think as part of the Commonwealth Games. It is getting a bit weathered these days, and has lost some of its colour and sparkle, but is still a magical place to explore. Just like the venue! IMG_20200926_121000.jpegIMG_20200926_120832.jpeg

The Martyrs Monument in Stirling Old Town Cemetery. Commemorates the Wigtown covenanters who were tied to a stake and left to drown under the incoming tide.

The website of the cemetery notes that this story has "no connection whatsoever with Stirling".

Also pictured the Martyrs Stake in Wigtown, 117 miles south of Stirling. IMG_20200906_193057.jpegIMG_20190720_122503.jpeg

11 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

bing.jpg.88f58a701fb1f6f5af7b8524f9293df3.jpg

See the church and houses?

Well no, you won't. This is Buckhaven Links and the site of a church and houses that were deliberately buried with spoil from the Wellesley Colliery in the early 1900s. There's half a village under there. 

buck.thumb.JPG.3d12dfdeed4e0ee2faa674d5cfa4847c.JPG

Westworld tv show set found.

58 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The Gaylet Pot near Arbroath; a big hole in a farmer's field (your's truly for scale)

That's mad. Where in/near Arbroath is this? Thought I knew that area pretty well but seems not.

Just south of Auchmithie.  You can’t see it from the coastal path.

SE of ‘Tanglehall Cottages‘ on the OS Map

You can actually scramble down to beach inside it via the grassy slope down its northern side.  On a calm, warm day you can have fun swimming through the cave tunnel that links it to the sea.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The Sueno’s Stone, Forres.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8cced2066468aeb02e75904baac5054.jpeg

At an impressive 7m tall, it’s an absolute cracker of a (Pictish) standing stone and well worth a visit, but I consider it random for two reasons; a) it’s an ancient stone inside a giant classy modern glass case, and b) it’s located in a housing area rather than somewhere in the arse end of nowhere where most other similar things are.  It’s also beside the A96, although you kind of need to know it’s there to get a glimpse through the trees between the stone and the road.

9418BD60-29DE-4531-9ABA-79BE1A054086.thumb.jpeg.0d28508f510fb0fd7ac084fd8d22a23c.jpeg