The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That photo doesnt do it justice. Anytime ive seen it the windows are sweating with condensation. 

Aye, sweating with greasy condensation.

I've been in a few times and like Hedgecutter says, it does a mean fry-up. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Leave Fort William heading northbound, swing a left onto the A87 at Invergarry, climb up the hill past Loch Garry and pull into a little layby up the top of the ascent and there are hundreds upon hundreds of little cairns with stunning views over Loch Loyne:

I've noticed that this craze reached Smoo Cave two or three years ago.

image.thumb.png.6defd6da35f959e52aa6a5c26d2955c2.png

Anecdote involving something random:  As some here already know, I explore caves and at the very inner point of this cave, there's an aven (natural chimney) which to the best of our knowledge had never been explored (deemed too dodgy).  Therefore, myself and the guy who worked there went to the effort of carrying down and assembling a 3-part extension ladder up this aven, which I then continued to (somewhat stupidly) free climb another 20ft or so, fuelled by adrenaline. 

Eventually finding a rather tight and dusty passage off to to the side, I persevered for ~20ft and found that it opened up into chamber.  Woohoo! I thought; a whole new part of the cave found, worth the dodgy life-threatening climb!  Then I saw this archaeological find on the ground...

A fag packet.

A f***ing fag packet, with a design that can be dated to the 1960s.  Someone had been up here 50 years earlier and had a fly-puff in 'my' new chamber.  b*****d.

image.png.917ba34765d77e1f32df8654b1ef03de.png

How I somehow got back down without breaking my neck is still a subject that tests my atheism.

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I’ll wager that you walked this past this random little house without knowing that it was built to replace the tenement section that was blown to smithereens during the Blitz.

B7026C6E-6E9D-4924-A04F-FE52FD9D817B.thumb.jpeg.a8fe2811068d14a63e7d615bc612c0ce.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFOTJFltRMqZFAzW5Igjv

Same story with Rosefield Street in Dundee. You'll notice that part of the tenement block is a different colour.

Why?

Hermann Göring, that's why.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

56 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That photo doesnt do it justice. Anytime ive seen it the windows are sweating with condensation. 

There's also a converted train near Grantown, although it's more of a 'soup and a panini' type place where you can actually see out the windows.

dining-car.jpg

1.jpg

Eta:  this place does bizarre but amazing pizzas btw.

There's also a similar affair just outside of Dufftown.

Edited by Hedgecutter

RE the more modern building phenomenon. 

Peel Street in Glasgow is another famous example. Across from the cricket ground. Sadly, 50 folk were killed when bomb hit the block during Clydeside blitz. 

Screenshot_20201012-165037.thumb.png.f0957889d424651828126ea38418c2c0.png

17 minutes ago, PWL said:

Peel Street in Glasgow is another famous example. Across from the cricket ground. Sadly, 50 folk were killed when bomb hit the block during Clydeside blitz. 

I used to live in a block of modern flats on Charles St in Aberdeen and only recently found out that the whole street previously had to be demolished after this happened courtesy of a 500kg high explosive bomb.

image.png.be80eb469f1b0be0cfa397549a0f9d92.png

I only found this out because it turned out that one of my mum's neighbours happened to be one of the few kids to survive the bombing (and resultant fire) here.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

8 minutes ago, PWL said:

Screenshot_20201012-165037.thumb.png.f0957889d424651828126ea38418c2c0.png

Pre war Germany has a consulate office in Bath St, Glasgow.

At the outbreak of war the office was closed obviously and the keys handed to the Swiss Government to look after. When Clydeside was bombed in March 1941, the Bath St office received damage, broken windows etc.

The Swiss Government asked for and received money for war damage.

8 hours ago, PWL said:

There's a weird house by Loch Eriboll which I think merits a place here, and I quite like

2857014019_e64b1d25af_b.jpg

It's owned by a Danish ceramicist who has made her own rather funky gates beside the main road.

image.png.747cf85dd17d40e552b630b892279954.png

Edited by Hedgecutter
sp.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's weird a house by Loch Eriboll which I think merits a place here, and I quite like

2857014019_e64b1d25af_b.jpg

It's owned by a Danish ceramicist who has made her own rather funky gates beside the main road.

image.png.747cf85dd17d40e552b630b892279954.png

Think she was on Grand Designs?

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Think she was on Grand Designs?

Wouldn't surprise me.  Her name's Lotte Glob and lived at the rather eccentric Balnakeil Craft Village before this, which is a bit weird and random itself (war time radar station since turned into studios for folk who have moved in from all across the UK and further afield).

normal_Balnakeil_Craft_Village_Durness.j

Edited by Hedgecutter

38 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I used to live in a block of modern flats on Charles St in Aberdeen and only recently found out that the whole street previously had to be demolished after this happened courtesy of a 500kg high explosive bomb.

image.png.be80eb469f1b0be0cfa397549a0f9d92.png

I only found this out because it turned out that one of my mum's neighbours happened to be one of the few kids to survive the bombing (and resultant fire) here.  

Imagine sitting in your house and hearing that whistling noise of a bomb heading your way :(

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's also a converted train near Grantown, although it's more of a 'soup and a panini' type place where you can actually see out the windows.

dining-car.jpg

1.jpg

Eta:  this place does bizarre but amazing pizzas btw.

There's also a similar affair just outside of Dufftown.

They have beds in one at Glenfinnan, £35 for two, £25 for single occupancy. Bargain in that part of the world I'd say.

https://glenfinnanstationmuseum.co.uk/facilities/sleeping-car/

7 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

TimberPondsClyde?action=download&upname=TimberPond02.jpg

Ever noticed these sticking out of the water in the Clyde as you drive to Greenock? It's where they used to season logs to build ships. Basically they'd leave them in the water for months to soak up the salt water and harden. Dates back to the 18th century. 

Port Glesga.

But creepy AF. Dead bodies from suicide victims from the Erskine Bridge wind up there.