The Weird & Random S*** Around Scotland Thread

The Great Polish Map of Scotland in Eddleston.

"I shall die, but I shall leave my map as a gift to the Scottish people to thank them for the hospitality they showed the Poles when it was needed." - Jan Tomasik, Polish army sergeant stationed in Galashiels during the war.

After the war, he became a Borders hotelier and fulfilled his ambition to create a giant relief map of Scotland, with the help of the Geography department of the University of Krakow.

The Barony Castle in Eddleston is where the Polish Army was based, with their remit being to defend the East Coast of Scotland.

50m x 40m. Scale of 1:10,000.

This is quite the thing. First time I've visited, on a whim today. Love it!
IMG_20201010_170551.jpeg

On 09/10/2020 at 08:42, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's one on the the Meadows in central Edinburgh and a whalebone arch on top of North Berwick Law which is now made of fibreglass after it rotted away beyond repair.

The one in the meadows isn't there anymore. Think it's been taking away for conservation. 

The old Flodden wall that runs around Edinburgh still exists and continues under the Museum of Scotland and the architects who designed the new part of the museum incorporated a design into one of the galleries that runs along the line of the Flodden wall. 

53 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Crannog centre on Loch Tay

There's also the houses at Archaeolink, by Oyne/Insch.  The whole place is derelict now (building a niche museum in a part of the country where few people go was always a bold strategy), but you can still wander around the place and into some of the huts... if you're not scared of the 'no trespassing, you're on CCTV' warning at the car park anyway.

7731990720_51ca7073fb_b.jpg

This memorial stone to a racing driver at the top of a cliff near Melvaig, Wester Ross is a bit random. The nearest house must be around 3 miles away and I've never seen anyone else on the beach below in 6 or 7 trips there.

IMG_0045.thumb.jpg.141059dde72b54acc3f0b47fc7c32f5e.jpg

20180409_125502.thumb.jpg.2ae4b1dbb58b5482b4d750a5e7c449dc.jpg

On 09/10/2020 at 10:55, johnnydun said:

The painted rock at St Fillans at the road side. I spotted it about 30 years ago, but I'm sure it has probably been there a lot longer.

2-The-Serpent-Stone-James-Carron-Take-a-Hike.jpg

Seen one of these type-things today on the road over to Tighnabruaich.

61A757D6-8DBD-4042-B583-1B2B99DC6699.jpeg

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

Maybe he crashed his car into that stone?

I was up King's Seat Hill in the Ochils two or three weekends ago, and there was a memorial plaque for those who died when three spitfires crashed into the hill there.

However... I am still wondering how three RAF aircraft flew into the same hill, and also how that radio conversation went.  Best guess:

Pilot 1:  Very foggy here, we should... [silence]

Pilot 2:  lost contact with pilot 1, what's that bright orange light ahead which looks like an explosion?

Pilot 3: Aurora Borealis

Pilot 2:  Aurora Borealis!? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localised entirely on this hill!?

18 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Maybe he crashed his car into that stone?

At least it stopped him driving off the cliffs. Not sure how any sort of car would survive the boggy 2 miles from the nearest road to that point though.

On 09/10/2020 at 16:32, GNU_Linux said:

Somebodys back garden behind EOS club Camelon's Carmuirs Park.

camelon13.JPG

That guy is an utter tramp. Fairly confident he doesn’t work and claims benefits.

On 09/10/2020 at 18:23, Mr. Alli said:

I've seen that photo quite a lot and always have two questions 

1. Why would you go through financing such a thing rather than either pay to get in or just watching from the house? 

2. Why don't the club shitehouse him and just put up a heightened fence at that one part? 

1. Doubt there was much financing to it. An old shed with a few modifications. He’s had years, in fact decades of getting to see the games for free and then he has that spare £5 or £6 gate money for cans of cheap nasty lager. 

2. About 10 years or so ago young team from Bo’ness hung a big flag in front of it and ended up getting lager hurled at them and spat at. 

There’s a lot of rancid scum stay in Camelon unfortunately,  so if the club decided to build a big fence, odds are any stray balls over his fence wouldn’t be seen again and even higher odds that their ground would end up getting vandalised or set alight. Again... 

Camelon themselves are a good club, good committee and supporters. Unfortunately their ground is surrounded by a lot of rancid work-shy vermin. IIRC, I think some rodent decided to have a wee dance on top of @Tynierose’s car up there not all that long ago.

Edited by 8MileBU

I previously wondered about the black phone box at Achfary which is one of the few points of interest between Lairg and Laxford Bridge.

7472307170_0a8bac2ddc_b.jpg

Turned out that is was painted black and white to blend in with the surrounding buildings.

Also in the above mentioned cliffs is this cave which someone appears to sleep/have slept in. It's high ceilinged enough for most people to stand up in the middle but still a pretty tight wee space and can't imagine it'd be an easy place to sleep on a stormy night. Pictures aren't great I'm afraid.

IMG_1612.thumb.jpg.e0aaafa733b9b11f5eacbb77af8427e5.jpg

IMG_1608.thumb.jpg.73026aab8f4904c8eca9f8b0a5b57a67.jpg

14 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

That guy is an utter tramp. Fairly confident he doesn’t work and claims benefits.

1. Doubt there was much financing to it. An old shed with a few modifications. He’s had years, in fact decades of getting to see the games for free and then he has that spare £5 or £6 gate money for cans of cheap nasty lager. 

2. About 10 years or so ago young team from Bo’ness hung a big flag in front of it and ended up getting lager hurled at them and spat at. 

There’s a lot of rancid scum stay in Camelon unfortunately,  so if the club decided to build a big fence, odds are any stray balls over his fence wouldn’t be seen again and even higher odds that their ground would end up getting vandalised or set alight. Again... 

Camelon themselves are a good club, good committee and supporters. Unfortunately their ground is surrounded by a lot of rancid work-shy vermin. IIRC, I think some rodent decided to have a wee dance on top of @Tynierose’s car up there not all that long ago.

^^^ Daily Mail reader^^^