Celtic v Rangers October 17th 12:30pm

36 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Choosing his ex-teammate and coaching staff is representative of the fans is it?

I haven’t been on twitter much today but when he was kept on after Rodgers people were reluctantly accepting him. Then Cluj happened and A lot wanted him gone. Copenhagen was seen as the easiest tie you could get after Europe and folk thought it was the end of the road for him then but the **** capitulated. However after ferencvaros the feeling since then has seen the majority wanting him gone. As for me I don't know if changing right now is the right idea. 

Tbf you’ve always been a huge advocate as Lennon as a manager so good to see you still backing him.

Agree with you about changing as who do you get ? 

Whoever is in charge of recruitment is struggling. Barkas, Duffy and Taylor all look a downgrade on what you have had previously and that must be a concern mate.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tbf you’ve always been a huge advocate as Lennon as a manager so good to see you still backing him.

Agree with you about changing as who do you get ? 

Im not a huge advocate of Lennon at all tbh. I would rather we went for someone else rather than give the gig full time to him. Agree with your question I genuinely don't know who we could get so would rather stick with Lennon for now who knows the club and the league well. Hopefully we reach 10 then part ways, Lawwell also maybe a year after that.

Edited by gannonball

I suspect Lennon's weaknesses as a coach and tactician can be masked by his personality and ability to motivate but if this group of players don't like him then it was always going to end badly. How can you respect him following Rodgers who is a top coach meticulous in his detail. 

Edited by Falcor Roar

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Im not a huge advocate of Lennon at all tbh. I would rather we went for someone else rather than give the gig full time to him. Agree with your question I genuinely don't know who we could get so would rather stick with Lennon for now who knows the club and the league well. Hopefully we reach 10 then part ways, Lawwell also maybe a year after that.

Who would you have got that - always going to be hard to replace BR.

You’ll still get 10 but will be tougher than I thought.

If you include the lad from Southampton you’ve a front 4 that cost nearly £35m - plenty of ammo to win the Premier League.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

7 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I suspect Lennon's weaknesses as a coach and tactician can be masked by his personality and ability to motivate but if this group of players don't like him then it was always going to end badly. How can you respect him as a player following Rodgers who is a top coach meticulous in his detail. 

I would agree with the former, hes got an eye for a player too. I think he needed to add more to his backroom staff as well since Rodgers took so much away then Duff left. 

As for Gerrard I just see him as a figurehead tbh, you can see even yesterday its Beale thats feeding him the tactics etc and I can remember an ex player on a podcast saying much the same as that . He might just be not great with the media or a public speaker but when he gives interviews he strikes me as a man with not much going on in between the ears.

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Who would you have got that - always going to be hard to replace BR.

You’ll still get 10 but will be tougher than I thought.

If you include the lad from Southampton you’ve a front 4 that cost nearly £35m - plenty of amo to win the Premier League.

The summer After Rodgers left? There was chat of Benitez, Bielsa had ‘left’ Leeds but according the Lawwell they never spoke to anyone which if true is incredibly short sighted and unprofessional really.

I agree we have enough fire power for us to win the league. I think if you were to put a Celtic/Sevco xi out to the pnb masses (dont worry I wont) you would have maybe have a max of 4 of their players in the team.

Just now, gannonball said:

I would agree with the former, hes got an eye for a player too. I think he needed to add more to his backroom staff as well since Rodgers took so much away then Duff left. 

As for Gerrard I just see him as a figurehead tbh, you can see even yesterday its Beale thats feeding him the tactics etc and I can remember an ex player on a podcast saying much the same as that . He might just be not great with the media or a public speaker but when he gives interviews he strikes me as a man with not much going on in between the ears.

The summer After Rodgers left? There was chat of Benitez, Bielsa had ‘left’ Leeds but according the Lawwell they never spoke to anyone which if true is incredibly short sighted and unprofessional really.

I agree we have enough fire power for us to win the league. I think if you were to put a Celtic/Sevco xi out to the pnb masses (dont worry I wont) you would have maybe have a max of 4 of their players in the team.

Benitez or Bielsa? No chance. Lawell wanted Lennon and got him so it was easy.

Not sure about your other point. Your defence and goalie is absolutely dreadful. I would think you would dominate the forward positions. 

On another note how long did Edouard sign his new contract for mate ??

I suspect Lennon's weaknesses as a coach and tactician can be masked by his personality and ability to motivate but if this group of players don't like him then it was always going to end badly. How can you respect him following Rodgers who is a top coach meticulous in his detail. 

This is true. But I also seem to remember Rodgers being branded an inept coach by most on here who would only look decent at club like Celtic.

Lennon will remain in place for the conclusion of the season I would think. His future at the club will be in question if fails to deliver on what should be a straight forward sprint to the silverware.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Benitez or Bielsa? No chance. Lawell wanted Lennon and got him so it was easy.

Not sure about your other point. Your defence and goalie is absolutely dreadful. I would think you would dominate the forward positions. 

On another note how long did Edouard sign his new contract for mate ??

Agree goalie is suspect, but tbh both defences arent that great. Some now rave about Goldson (who obviously had a good game yesterday also) but he did spend his time at Brighton way behind Duffy in the pecking order. As far as Im aware Edouard hasn't signed anything so it still 2022.

Ah, here we go. I thought yesterday had a different feel to it. It didn’t seem like a derby really, but I think that helped us and we ended up putting in a really complete and disciplined performance.

We weren’t outstanding by any means, but we were spot on tactically and carried out our jobs perfectly. I can’t remember the last time we made Celtic look so completely average.

It’s been highlighted a lot that Callum McGregor came out and said Rangers changed their game plan by having our full backs sit in and protect the centre backs which seemed to surprise them. This is music to my ears as anyone worth their salt could recognise we’ve done that in numerous games this season which makes me believe we have the upper hand over Celtic tactically if that already wasn’t obvious.

Goldson grabbed the headlines but a shout out to Glen Kamara (50 grand?!) and Filip Helander who I thought were excellent. Arfield as well never seems to let us down and is so switched on tactically for the majority of the time.

I think Gerrard was right to change his reaction compared to our win there in December, but this side have given us 9 wins from the opening 11 matches with 2 draws and that is with us having been away from home at Aberdeen, Livingston, Hibs, Motherwell and now Celtic. It’s a promising start and I just hope we can crack on now.

Edited by AJF

Just now, gannonball said:

Agree goalie is suspect, but tbh both defences arent that great. Some now rave about Goldson (who obviously had a good game yesterday also) but he did spend his time at Brighton way behind Duffy in the pecking order. As far as Im aware Edouard hasn't signed anything so it still 2022.

He’s defo a downgrade on Forster - everyone except Lennon and Hammond see that mind you. Marshall would have been a sensible signing.

Yes neither Goldson or Duffy are great. Duffy looks painfully slow.

Is Hammond looking to run Edouard’s contract down and keep him till the end to utilise him in a playing capacity rather than cash in on him ?? 

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Would that mean I don't get a vote?

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You're just talking nonsense now. Our defence has only conceded 3 goals all season, they've broken team records for clean sheets, you had 1 chance yesterday, talking about our defence is the same as yours...

There isn't one area of the park where you have better players... a combined 11 from this season so far... who from celtc is getting in to the team? Literally 1 or 2 if they are lucky. 

27 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

This is true. But I also seem to remember Rodgers being branded an inept coach by most on here who would only look decent at club like Celtic.

Lennon will remain in place for the conclusion of the season I would think. His future at the club will be in question if fails to deliver on what should be a straight forward sprint to the silverware.

Rodgers Liverpool side of 13/14 were magnificent to watch, taking it so close was really some achievement. Celtic were slick during his reign, I gave credit where it was due notwithstanding the financial advantage. He's shown great work at Leicester too. The top level of the game is where you can coach players to work together almost telepathically and Rodgers has that rare skill as a coach. It's light years from what I imagine Lennon to be like. 

19 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

You're just talking nonsense now. Our defence has only conceded 3 goals all season, they've broken team records for clean sheets, you had 1 chance yesterday, talking about our defence is the same as yours...

There isn't one area of the park where you have better players... a combined 11 from this season so far... who from celtc is getting in to the team? Literally 1 or 2 if they are lucky. 

The reason why I don't think your defence is that good is because if they were they wouldn't be there for long. Our defence would be much better with Boyata and Tierney but they put in good enough performances  to play in bigger leagues. A settled successful season may change that though for the likes of Barasic who I do rate.

We have won the nearly last the dozen domestic trophies going ffs, you simply cannot  do that with inferior players. 

Edited by gannonball

Celtic board need to look at themselves and ask why they appointed Lennon and missed out on John McGinn. Both was down to penny pinching thinking that rangers were so bad that all they had to do was be semi competent and win everything. Rodgers raised the level of several average players and since then it’s been a steady decline into mediocrity. Lennon was backed financially but nearly all the signings look worse than what was there before. Rumours of a dressing room split as well. 
Going back to earlier post about last season, when we played them it wasn’t really tactics that got Celtic through it was the ability to bring someone like Forrest off the bench. Celtic just kept on running up the wings crossing it in. Our full backs probably had their best games of the season that day but tbh Stevie Crawford out thought Lennon and that’s a bit worrying because most managers in the championship reversed that last season.

Same thing with Hibs when he was there, tough to beat but limited in attack. Bit like Lennon as a player.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The reason why I don't think your defence is good is because if they were they wouldn't be there for long. Our defence would be much better with Boyata and Tierney but they put in good enough performances  to play in bigger leagues. A settled successful season may change that though for the likes of Barasic who I do rate.

We have won the nearly last the dozen domestic trophies going ffs, you simply cannot  do that with inferior players. 

Really good point. Top players don’t stay for long.

Where I think Celtic have made mistakes is replacing Forster, Tierney and Boyata with Barkas, Taylor and Duffy all of whom are downgrades and not even good downgrades.

Add to that from BR and Congerton to Lennon and Hammond - that’s some step down in quality.

You’ll still win the league but think you’ll really struggle to get out of your group in the Europa League.

25 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The reason why I don't think your defence is that good is because if they were they wouldn't be there for long. Our defence would be much better with Boyata and Tierney but they put in good enough performances  to play in bigger leagues. A settled successful season may change that though for the likes of Barasic who I do rate.

Well of course I'm not arguing if Bilel Moshni was better than Van Dyjk (he was btw) I'm talking about this season..

I think we'll be lucky to keep Barasic but the rest don't have age on their side, nobody will pay big money for them which suits us. 

23 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Really good point. Top players don’t stay for long.

Where I think Celtic have made mistakes is replacing Forster, Tierney and Boyata with Barkas, Taylor and Duffy all of whom are downgrades and not even good downgrades.

Add to that from BR and Congerton to Lennon and Hammond - that’s some step down in quality.

You’ll still win the league but think you’ll really struggle to get out of your group in the Europa League.

We're trying to do a direct comparison on a combined starting 11 of this season, players celtc have sold dont feature in this.