Celtic v Rangers October 17th 12:30pm

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I realised I was choosing between him, Brown, Arfield and Davis. And Kamara seems to have started playing the odd progressive forward pass, which bumps him above those 3.

Greenie for the complete omission of the rat.

4 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Well, don't keep us in suspense Willy... how much change did he give you?

I've seen him a few times and just said hello hello but this time his wee boy ran into me he was more interested in the ducks and swans.
It was a fair tackle from the wee man but definitely a card. 

If he was to be sacked it would have happened already however he has certainly lost a lot of the Celtic support. It’s no longer just a number of voices or BR fanboys, the number of fans who have lost confidence is growing to the extent that I see more posts and tweets from fans that want him gone than those that don’t.

No one will ever convince me he is the right man to take Celtic forward, he inherited a Celtic team with every possible advantage and so far ahead of everyone we essentially were in a league of 1 and between himself and PL they have allowed that gap to be closed by a team operating on a significantly smaller budget while simultaneously destroying player confidence and a playing style that served us well. 

I fully expect that if points are dropped at Pittodrie after what will be a very hard game on Thursday that he will relieved of his duties. I don’t subscribe to the we must maintain the status quo to win the league, just look at Bayern last year

Edited by Jinky67

A really interesting part of the fallout from this, IMO, is the constant assertion by ex-Celtic players and Celtic fan media that Celtic clearly have better players than Rangers. I've even seen folk say that Celtic are better "man for man" across the first XI. Jackie McNamara is the latest to come out with it today.

I'm not sure how many people would agree with that. McGregor is unquestionably the best midfielder out of everyone, but I can't think of many other Celtic players that are head and shoulders above their Rangers equivalents. Certainly, the Rangers back five is comfortably better than their Celtic counterparts, with the possible exception of Ajer.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

A really interesting part of the fallout from this, IMO, is the constant assertion by ex-Celtic players and Celtic fan media that Celtic clearly have better players than Rangers. I've even seen folk say that Celtic are better "man for man" across the first XI. Jackie McNamara is the latest to come out with it today.

I'm not sure how many people would agree with that. McGregor is unquestionably the best midfielder out of everyone, but I can't think of many other Celtic players that are head and shoulders above their Rangers equivalents. Certainly, the Rangers back five is comfortably better than their Celtic counterparts, with the possible exception of Ajer.

As much as I’m fucked off with how Celtic are playing just now and that Rangers have found form, the core of that Celtic team have still won the last 11 trophies available to them. 

That core being Ajer, Julien, Brown, McGregor, Christie, Forrest and Edouard all of them are serial winners. McGregor, both fullbacks and Kent are where you have better options than we do that I can’t argue with

I can’t consider any of the Rangers equivalent to be comfortably better until they actually win something. As the old saying goes form is temporary, again I’ll use Bayern Munich as the example. Last November you could have said the Dortmund were looking comfortably better then their Bayern counterparts. Bayern changed their manager and we all know how that ended. 

Yes we aren’t Bayern Munich but there are distinct parallels that can be drawn between their early form last season and ours just now, the financial advantage they have over the rest of the league and the fact they know how to win

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

As much as I’m fucked off with how Celtic are playing just now and that Rangers have found form, the core of that Celtic team have still won the last 11 trophies available to them. 

That core being Ajer, Julien, Brown, McGregor, Christie, Forrest and Edouard all of them are serial winners.

I can’t consider any of the Rangers equivalent to be comfortably better until they actually win something. As the old saying goes form is temporary, again I’ll use Bayern Munich as the example. Last November you could have said the Dortmund were looking comfortably better then their Bayern counterparts. Bayern changed their manager and we all know how that ended. 

Yes we aren’t Bayern Munich but there are distinct parallels that can be drawn between their early form last season and ours just now, the financial advantage they have over the rest of the league and the fact they know how to win

Sure they have, but again judging individual players qualities by team success isn't always a good idea.

Rangers defence is McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander and Barisic. Who am I taking from Celtic over them? Maybe Ajer for Goldson in some games, because he's better going forward. But he's a much worse defender. Jullien hasn't even done a full season at Celtic yet and he's already been benched, presumably because he has a fatal flaw whenever he comes up against a physical striker.

Who am I taking from the rest of those guys? McGregor definitely, Christie yeah, Edouard probably (there's something weird going on there), Forrest probably not and Brown definitely not. I don't think Forrest is much better than the wide options Rangers currently have in Kent, Aribo and Hagi, but then I've never really seen it with Forrest.

The point is, even if you think every single one of Celtic's midfielders and attackers are better than the Rangers equivalent, that's still only half a team. The keeper and defence are significantly weaker than Rangers. So I can't really see the justification for Celtic fans thinking that their squad is miles ahead.

Now of course, it's early in the season and these things can change. Could well be a different conversation in December.

The thing that gives me a laugh are the Celtic fans that give it the chat about Rangers fans celebrating like we've won the league and that trophies aren't handed out in October. No, we're celebrating like we've won a derby match, the same way any Celtic fan does when they win one.

It's about bragging rights and there's no sweeter victory than embarrassing your rivals on their own patch. Take your medicine and no doubt it'll go full circle at some point and you will eventually have the bragging rights.

If the roles were reversed, Celtic fans would be doing the exact same, they are just trying to downplay the victory. (This is mainly aimed at the Twitter comments I see, not really on here).

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Sure they have, but again judging individual players qualities by team success isn't always a good idea.

Rangers defence is McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander and Barisic. Who am I taking from Celtic over them? Maybe Ajer for Goldson in some games, because he's better going forward. But he's a much worse defender. Jullien hasn't even done a full season at Celtic yet and he's already been benched, presumably because he has a fatal flaw whenever he comes up against a physical striker.

Who am I taking from the rest of those guys? McGregor definitely, Christie yeah, Edouard probably (there's something weird going on there), Forrest probably not and Brown definitely not. I don't think Forrest is much better than the wide options Rangers currently have in Kent, Aribo and Hagi, but then I've never really seen it with Forrest.

The point is, even if you think every single one of Celtic's midfielders and attackers are better than the Rangers equivalent, that's still only half a team. The keeper and defence are significantly weaker than Rangers. So I can't really see the justification for Celtic fans thinking that their squad is miles ahead.

Now of course, it's early in the season and these things can change. Could well be a different conversation in December.

Julien has been injured since the end of September not benched and coincidentally played an almost identical number of league games last season as Goldson who also doesn’t enjoy playing against a physical presence either the games against Hibs this season and the games against Hearts last year highlighted that significant flaw in his skill set. Celtic have no physical presence up front without Edouard. 

James Forrest made around 27 goal contributions last season, 10 goals and 17 assists I believe. That is more than Kent, Aribo and Hagi combined so if you don’t see it with Forrest you are choosing not to but it’s also another reason why I think 352 isn’t the system we should be playing as it takes away what Forrest offers us

i absolutely appreciate you revelling and enjoying a moment in time where Rangers are doing brilliantly well however this Rangers team does have weaknesses, some of which have already been shown this season. Celtic at the weekend weren’t setup or did they put a team out capable of exploiting them and that fault lies with the manager but it doesn’t mean Celtic cannot win the league with Lennon still in charge despite my views on him or his capabilities, of course we can but Sundays game at Pittodrie becomes massive.

We played straight into Rangers hands at the weekend and they absolutely punished us for it, we now need to take our medicine

Edited by Jinky67

The thing that gives me a laugh are the Celtic fans that give it the chat about Rangers fans celebrating like we've won the league and that trophies aren't handed out in October. No, we're celebrating like we've won a derby match, the same way any Celtic fan does when they win one.
It's about bragging rights and there's no sweeter victory than embarrassing your rivals on their own patch. Take your medicine and no doubt it'll go full circle at some point and you will eventually have the bragging rights.
If the roles were reversed, Celtic fans would be doing the exact same, they are just trying to downplay the victory. (This is mainly aimed at the Twitter comments I see, not really on here).
Its not all about what Celtic fans think m8

While undoubtedly Rangers have improved, this happens every season on here and has since the Warburton days. Early doors in the season and Rangers fans are optimistic and are going to do this and that and have got better players than Celtic etc etc. Then it goes hilariously tits up.

Hope it happens again.