Importing stuff from the US

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Btw you dont need to put guitars in the hold, ive never put a guitar in the hold, each time its been in the cabin, they fit in overheads and if you get decent cabin crew they will often store it specially. 

learnt your lesson then?

9 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I actually had thought about buying it a seat next to me so it wouldn't actually ever be out of my sight.

You only need to do that if its something substantial like a double bass or cello etc. Nah ive done it with both Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus and British Airways, Virgin put it in the cloak cupboard for me, BA let me use the entire overhead locker (it was empty) and Aer Lingus let me use the business class overhead lockers (they have more lockers than seats or something). 
Because I transited through London and Dublin with them my baggage cleared customs at Glasgow via the domestic reclaim meaning unfortunately no one from the tax/border agency was able to appraise and charge me the tax on the items, obviously I sorted this out at a later date. 

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You only need to do that if its something substantial like a double bass or cello etc. Nah ive done it with both Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus and British Airways, Virgin put it in the cloak cupboard for me, BA let me use the entire overhead locker (it was empty) and Aer Lingus let me use the business class overhead lockers (they have more lockers than seats or something). 
Because I transited through London and Dublin with them my baggage cleared customs at Glasgow via the domestic reclaim meaning unfortunately no one from the tax/border agency was able to appraise and charge me the tax on the items, obviously I sorted this out at a later date. 

I see. Was that something you may have gotten away with had you not sorted it yourself?

One thing ive been told by a friend of mine is I can ask the shop to send it over as a gift which means it would not be liable for any sort of tax or import fees. Now, I'm doubting highly that that is the case because id imagine there would be tons of planes flying around full of gifts on a daily basis. Even then, its getting a retailer to agree to partake in slight shenanigans. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I see. Was that something you may have gotten away with had you not sorted it yourself?

One thing ive been told by a friend of mine is I can ask the shop to send it over as a gift which means it would not be liable for any sort of tax or import fees. Now, I'm doubting highly that that is the case because id imagine there would be tons of planes flying around full of gifts on a daily basis. Even then, its getting a retailer to agree to partake in slight shenanigans. 

Id agree that some retailers may not have a problem as they are not the people liable for the tax and their end is fine. But it can be a faf. Oh yes a dishonest person could just walk right out the airport without question. I can see why that might be tempting because a guitar of that value would be about £800 in tax. 

38 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Im sorely tempted just for the lolz. If I muster up the courage to I will post the email conversation on here. 

Id probably pish myself if he said yes.

If you enjoy a pint head down to Trades. He's in there all the time when he's over here.