Importing stuff from the US

Right, need some advice / info / assistance from the P&B sages. Wasnt sure where else to put this so im slapping it here. If it needs punted somewhere else than I apologise to the mods for being a pain in the c**t.

Im looking at buying a new bass guitar and its going to have to be imported from the Yoonited States of 'Murca. 

Has anyone here gone through the import / customs process and how much did it cost? The bass is gonna cost a fair whack ($4500 - $5000 approx) so id prefer I had as much info as possible going into this and no hidden or unforseen bills at the end of it all!

I did have a glance at the gov.uk site but couldn't find anything re. Instrument importing.

Or is it far easier and cheaper to get on a fucking plane and bring it back myself?

Any help will be appreciated!

16 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Right, need some advice / info / assistance from the P&B sages. Wasnt sure where else to put this so im slapping it here. If it needs punted somewhere else than I apologise to the mods for being a pain in the c**t.

Im looking at buying a new bass guitar and its going to have to be imported from the Yoonited States of 'Murca. 

Has anyone here gone through the import / customs process and how much did it cost? The bass is gonna cost a fair whack ($4500 - $5000 approx) so id prefer I had as much info as possible going into this and no hidden or unforseen bills at the end of it all!

I did have a glance at the gov.uk site but couldn't find anything re. Instrument importing.

Or is it far easier and cheaper to get on a fucking plane and bring it back myself?

What you really need to be careful about is the couriers, I useda shop online from the states and some couriers would charge a fortune because they would be paying the import dues if the values were written on the invoice etc. With an item of that value its gonna be risky to not have the bass protected and shipped properly meaning you’ll have to pay the duty on it. What bass is it? Most of the luthiers in the states have a european sales avenue? Even really niche makers like Rick Turner have suppliers in London and Germany, if you buy within the EU you’ll not have the import duty?
Ive brought back 3 guitars worth $1000s each from the states and have had no issues on planes. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

15 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Here's your answer:

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/blogs/news/im-importing-a-guitar-from-the-usa-where-do-i-even-begin

Going to collect it yourself doesn't change the tariff obligation but may make you more likely to get away with it.

44 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hang about an airport and find folk that are going to America and ask if they wouldn't mind bringing your case back with them? 

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What you really need to be careful about is the couriers, I useda shop online from the states and some couriers would charge a fortune because they would be paying the import dues if the values were written on the invoice etc. With an item of that value its gonna be risky to not have the bass protected and shipped properly meaning you’ll have to pay the duty on it. What bass is it? Most of the luthiers in the states have a european sales avenue? Even really niche makers like Rick Turner have suppliers in London and Germany, if you buy within the EU you’ll not have the import duty?
Ive brought back 3 guitars worth $1000s each from the states and have had no issues on planes. 

Its a Modulus bass and they only sell through a company named PlanetBass across there unfortunately. 

I think its FEDEX they use as a courier so im guessing they would be fine....

When you say protected I assume you mean insurance?

27 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Here's your answer:

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/blogs/news/im-importing-a-guitar-from-the-usa-where-do-i-even-begin

Going to collect it yourself doesn't change the tariff obligation but may make you more likely to get away with it.

Thanks, got the jist now.

So not meaning to sound thick here, but say I head over there, pick it up and check it into the hold of the plane as luggage, id still have to pay the duty and the vat? Would it not just go on as luggage?

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Hang about an airport and find folk that are going to America and ask if they wouldn't mind bringing your case back with them? 

Did consider that. If its cheaper than all the other taxes etc id just go for a jolly myself!

Did want to ask the Utd Chairman Mark Ogren to do a fan of 30+ years of his club a favour and bring it over. The company that make the bass are from the same state as him...Mark, if you're reading this, mate, do a shed boy a favour, eh?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Used to regularly import things from US. Always just rubbered the 'we paid your import tax, you need to pay us' shit that DHL would send about a fortnight after delivery. 

Tempting, but knowing my luck I'd end up in jail or something.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Did consider that. If its cheaper than all the other taxes etc id just go for a jolly myself!

Did want to ask the Utd Chairman Mark Ogren to do a fan of 30+ years of his club a favour and bring it over. The company that make the bass are from the same state as him...Mark, if you're reading this, mate, do a shed boy a favour, eh?

You should email him see if he'll do you a favour. 

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

You should email him see if he'll do you a favour. 

Im sure id be told to f**k off in the most polite manner.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Sounds ideal. Songs about your time in prison would be big sellers, IMO. 

Could be on to something here. A funk song about being rag dolled in a prison over fraud has definitely not been done before.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

13 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Its a Modulus bass and they only sell through a company named PlanetBass across there unfortunately. 

I think its FEDEX they use as a courier so im guessing they would be fine....

When you say protected I assume you mean insurance?

Thanks, got the jist now.

So not meaning to sound thick here, but say I head over there, pick it up and check it into the hold of the plane as luggage, id still have to pay the duty and the vat? Would it not just go on as luggage?

It was DHL that imported stuff for me and they basically sent a slip saying ‘we paid your import duty and we’re keeping your package until you come and pay it’. If the company you import through uses the us post office then they’ll not insure the value, considering the cost if youre getting it sent over then pay the extra. Yeh modulus seem to have european suppliers, are you getting one made? 
If you get the chance to go and pick it up yourself you should. 

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

You would.  You're likely to get away with it but the obligation is still there irrespective of how the guitar comes in to the country.  If caught you would be asked to pay the duty or maybe have the guitar seized.

Not likely but possible.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It was DHL that imported stuff for me and they basically sent a slip saying ‘we paid your import duty and we’re keeping your package until you come and pay it’. If the company you import through uses the us post office then they’ll not insure the value, considering the cost if youre getting it sent over then pay the extra. Yeh modulus seem to have european suppliers, are you getting one made? 
If you get the chance to go and pick it up yourself you should. 

Was looking to get one made but if there is one I can get off the peg as close as dammit id save myself the hassle.

I did hunt around for a European supplier but had no luck. Have seen some second hand ones but if im spending that kind of cash I'd rather get one from new. There dosent seem to be too much in it.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

You would.  You're likely to get away with it but the obligation is still there irrespective of how the guitar comes in to the country.  If caught you would be asked to pay the duty or maybe have the guitar seized.

Not likely but possible.

Right OK. I assume it would be a tap on the shoulder, "can we check your case sir? Where did you get this?" type situation when in the airport.

So maybe asking Mark Ogren wouldn't be a great idea then...

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Right OK. I assume it would be a tap on the shoulder, "can we check your case sir? Where did you get this?" type situation when in the airport.

So maybe asking Mark Ogren wouldn't be a great idea then...

Asking him to be your guitar mule would be funny, though...

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Asking him to be your guitar mule would be funny, though...

Im sorely tempted just for the lolz. If I muster up the courage to I will post the email conversation on here. 

Id probably pish myself if he said yes.

12 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Was looking to get one made but if there is one I can get off the peg as close as dammit id save myself the hassle.

I did hunt around for a European supplier but had no luck. Have seen some second hand ones but if im spending that kind of cash I'd rather get one from new. There dosent seem to be too much in it.

Btw you dont need to put guitars in the hold, ive never put a guitar in the hold, each time its been in the cabin, they fit in overheads and if you get decent cabin crew they will often store it specially. 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Btw you dont need to put guitars in the hold, ive never put a guitar in the hold, each time its been in the cabin, they fit in overheads and if you get decent cabin crew they will often store it specially. 

I actually had thought about buying it a seat next to me so it wouldn't actually ever be out of my sight.