I felt like this could do with its own thread, as it never quite fits anywhere else. A place to discuss and highlight examples of the political commentator class in Scotland and elsewhere.

I read this article the other day by Chris Deerin and wanted to tear my eyes out:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/opinion/columnists/chris-deerin/2507500/chris-deerin-impermeable-self-belief-of-upper-class-a-perilous-trait-as-revolution-gathers-pace/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

I would be running the comment section of the High Tory bible, which was filled with illustrious names. I’d been told the weekly leader conference, which decided the paper’s editorial positions on the issues of the day, was attended by Charles (now Lord) Powell, who had been Margaret Thatcher’s chief adviser, and the historian Andrew Roberts. Both were posh, globally renowned, Oxbridge brainiacs. Powell even pronounced his surname “Pole”. And now, um, me – a provincial state-school kid who had failed his journalism HND (record shops, girlfriend) and who had subsequently panicked his way up the ranks in Scottish newspapers. The gap, in my mind, was one not just of ability and experience, but of social class. It was like Sid Vicious joining the London Philharmonic.

f**k off. The inferiority complex of these p***ks is off the charts. You can understand how furious they were with Scots who didn't assume not being part of that in crowd was a shortcoming getting in power in 2011 and then setting about getting shot of the entire system. They genuinely think folk who are the product of centuries of privilege are their betters and are horrified at folk who don't buy into it. I know he goes on to say they're playing with fire and will end up getting guillotined but he doesn't believe it.

I also don't like all these shite bands (supergroups in their heads?) they seem to be forming:

Fat Cops: Chris Deerin, Robert Hodgens, Chris Ayre, Euan McColm, Al Murray and Neil Murray.

Best Picture: Kenny Farquharson, Robert Hodgens, Euan McColm, Neil Murray, Ian Rankin, and Stuart Ritchie.

Edited by MixuFruit

The Fat Cops thing is the definition of a mid life crisis.

About time we had a Terrible Journalism type thread in this sub.

Anyway, a couple of days ago we were comparing nationalising the railways to setting up concentration camps. Very cool.

IMG_20201003_154330.thumb.jpg.f557390aa6c12ed23734f73d3f5fa27e.jpg

IMG_20201003_154318.jpg

Daniel Finkelstein is a funny one. Board member for years of the openly racist and islamophobic Gatestone Institute, besties with world's most obvious paedophile Alan Dershowitz and it just sort of gets memory holed.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

f**k off. The inferiority complex of these p***ks is off the charts. You can understand how furious they were with Scots who didn't assume not being part of that in crowd was a shortcoming getting in power in 2011 and then setting about getting shot of the entire system. They genuinely think folk who are the product of centuries of privilege are their betters and are horrified at folk who don't buy into it. I know he goes on to say they're playing with fire and will end up getting guillotined but he doesn't believe it.

reminds me of a P&B post that was along the lines of "what covid and brexit have shown is that a lot of these Oxford/Cambridge types aren't as bright or competent as you would assume at face value; they've just developed/inherited (quite literally in most cases) a knack and talent for making a lot money for themselves and that's it"

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The Fat Cops thing is the definition of a mid life crisis.

About time we had a Terrible Journalism type thread in this sub.

Anyway, a couple of days ago we were comparing nationalising the railways to setting up concentration camps. Very cool.

IMG_20201003_154330.thumb.jpg.f557390aa6c12ed23734f73d3f5fa27e.jpg

IMG_20201003_154318.jpg

Right but what are they being nationalised for? Checkmate.

Political journalism is in a pretty weird place at the moment. On the one hand, good quality journalism is probably as important as it's ever been given the polarising cluster f**k of internet echo chambers. On the other, traditional media has generally responded to the online threat by doubling down on all the awful, self-defeating traits that are turning people off from it.

I haven't paid for any print or traditional media in years and I don't know anyone remotely near my age who does. The decreased number of customers they have now must have a worryingly high average age.

I think that outside of the obvious places that have little, or no press freedom, we must have the absolute worst media in the world.

90% owned by billionaires happy to push racism and launder the government's dirty stuff. Rife with client journalism, a media and political class that went to school together who are more interested in holding the public to account, a national broadcaster that's nothing more than a training school for the ruling party's PR department.

The liberal side are a bunch of hand wringing, 'both sides', fence sitting credulous morons. Clapping like seals at a Marina Hyde 'zinger' and seemingly determined to have their wallets inspected on a weekly basis.

The right have almost gone full fash and are just a never ending pipeline of dog whistling cretins, who act like dummies but know exactly what they're doing, moving from one racism factory to the next (Guido >>The Sun>>The Daily Mail>>The Times>>The Spectator)

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I think that outside of the obvious places that have little, or no press freedom, we must have the absolute worst media in the world.

Agree 100% (although I love Marina Hyde's zingers myself).

It's the circle jerk nature of it that fucks me off. Tomorrow on Marr it will be the same old insiders reviewing the papers, recycling the same bought-and-paid for opinions.

The opinion piece writers are the worst and have effectively worked themselves into the lower echelons of celebrity. But other than amplifying their owners bark, what have these mutts ever done? Sarah Vine, Richard Littlejohn, John Fucking McTernan....what actual real job or contribution have they ever made in a positive way for society?

Apologies lads for the rant,  bit of a sore point for me this one.

This struck me as very simple and essential to restore some faith in the ability of this group of people to function in the public interest:

56 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This struck me as very simple and essential to restore some faith in the ability of this group of people to function in the public interest:

Point 4 is something I've been moaning  about for years.

"Why the f**k does this p***k get to go on telly and be treated like a sage? He thought <insert list of empirically disproven theories, demolished by history>  were good ideas

9 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Point 4 is something I've been moaning  about for years.

"Why the f**k does this p***k get to go on telly and be treated like a sage? He thought <insert list of empirically disproven theories, demolished by history>  were good ideas

I'd imagine the thought process something like "Is he/she cheap? Is he/she available? Get them on."

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd imagine the thought process something like "Is he/she cheap? Is he/she available? Get them on."

I'm sure this is it, but if having Darren Grimes on telly isn't in the public interest and nobody suitable is available they should cover the story in a prerecorded long format show like Panorama and just cover something else for the news of the day. Instead they just have Darren Grimes on.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And which one will attract a lot of viewers/controversy..

20 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

90% owned by billionaires happy to push racism and launder the government's dirty stuff. Rife with client journalism, a media and political class that went to school together who are more interested in holding the public to account, a national broadcaster that's nothing more than a training school for the ruling party's PR department.

The liberal side are a bunch of hand wringing, 'both sides', fence sitting credulous morons. Clapping like seals at a Marina Hyde 'zinger' and seemingly determined to have their wallets inspected on a weekly basis.

The right have almost gone full fash and are just a never ending pipeline of dog whistling cretins, who act like dummies but know exactly what they're doing, moving from one racism factory to the next (Guido >>The Sun>>The Daily Mail>>The Times>>The Spectator)

'Freedom of the press' is just freedom for billionaires to own every outlet. 

I don't use twitter as it just gets me pissed off but sometimes follow links from here and check out profiles. That client journalism boy is doing God's work, these folk are deranged

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I don't use twitter as it just gets me pissed off but sometimes follow links from here and check out profiles. That client journalism boy is doing God's work, these folk are deranged

Word

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1313460059565891584

Saw the paper review on Sky which had Claire Fox from the Academy of Ideas.   Had to google it/ her since it sounded so made up. Seems delightful. My fault for watching I suppose.