Rangers vs Ross County - October 4th

I just had a quick look at the Ross County thread and there seems to be a bit of a gloomy cloud over Dingwall at the moment.  @Matty-RCFCseemed especially dejected when he said, "Let’s face it, we’re going to get hammered by Rangers and Hibs in our next two games so we will be 9/10th after those and from there it’s an uphill battle. No doubt Kettlewell will start the same team as yesterday (bar his best mate Vigurs) away at Rangers next week."

Chin up, boys.  Irrespective of the result we've everyone's favourite Italian as part of the excellent RTV commentary team:

https://www.rangersnews.uk/news/rangers-legend-set-for-ibrox-return-ahead-of-scottish-premiership-clash/

I'll go for a close home win.

Just being realistic about our prospects, our league position does lie so a no-scoring draw would be the height of my ambitions, anything better and I’d be drunk for a week.

Didn’t  know there was a vote for our favourite Italian, was there a shortlist? Can I still vote?

We are going to play a headscratching team that luckily won't have Vigurs playing defence splitting balls for Morelos to run onto. If we keep it under three, I'll be surprised.

While Rangers' PPV is an extremely reasonable £9.99, I think I'll keep my pennies and cut the grass instead or something. Hard to see anything other than an absolutely hiding for County here.

Would be interested to hear some opinions from County fans on why Stephen Kelly isn't making the breakthrough into the Starting XI.

Has he not been that good? Does Kettlewell not fancy him? Tactical issue? Not as good as the current starters?

10 minutes ago, G51 said:

Would be interested to hear some opinions from County fans on why Stephen Kelly isn't making the breakthrough into the Starting XI.

Has he not been that good? Does Kettlewell not fancy him? Tactical issue? Not as good as the current starters?

Kettlewell has favourites and doesn't like dropping them. That's why Vigurs is virtually assured a game every week. Kelly hasn't had enough game time to judge him.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

We've barely seen him, so it's difficult to judge what's keeping him out of the team, although it's certainly not sparkling performances from those ahead of him in the pecking order. The same goes with Doohan in goals. Rangers and Celtic haven't loaned these guys out to sit on our bench all season, so if they don't get a chance soon they'll be off back to Glasgow in January.

Thanks for the insights. It's a curious one because his loan spell at Ayr went well last season and he's one of the four young players (alongside Mayo, McCrorie and Patterson) that Gerrard definitely rates.

27 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

We've barely seen him, so it's difficult to judge what's keeping him out of the team, although it's certainly not sparkling performances from those ahead of him in the pecking order. The same goes with Doohan in goals. Rangers and Celtic haven't loaned these guys out to sit on our bench all season, so if they don't get a chance soon they'll be off back to Glasgow in January.

I’d imagine he and Paton are battling it out for one shirt.  I’d rather we played Paton, given he is at least our player.  That being said, central midfield is hardly a shining beacon of quality.  The second Draper gets hurt, the whole trio starts to malfunction.

Following that tonight, I'm going with this team:

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Bassey, Kamara, Jack, Hagi, Arfield, Kent, Itten

Need to rotate players who have played a lot of games recently - Davis, Helander and Barisic have all played too many games recently. Davis in particular needs to be managed.

Kettlewell should use this game as a chance for players who haven’t proven themselves yet. It’s a free hit so just go and give them the freedom to play. That being said, can’t see anything other than an absolute pummelling, Kettlewell still finding a way to pick Vigurs even though he’s suspended and Ross Stewart running around like a headless chicken while Josh Reid gets rings ran round him by Hagi and Tavernier.

ETA: come to think of it, the result could actually get scary. We are significantly worse in every matchup on the pitch so I think anything under 4 goals would be alright.

Me, watching County vs Rangers at Ibrox: ahhh, this is gonna go badly

Me, watching County vs Rangers after we release Josh Mullin: arghhh, I'll need to be pished before the kick off.

Edited by Comrie