Billy Stark and Scott Gemmill

Bing.McCrosby

38 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

So who would you have in the squad who wasn't?

Just posted on the other thread that there isn't a lot to pick from

Players in English under 23 look at a new national low point

Aaron Hickey for one, starting in seria A. Yet needed social media questioning followed by national press articles to get him involved. 

He had been ignored for so long, its unlikely he would ever have been called up without this.

7 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Aaron Hickey for one, starting in seria A. Yet needed social media questioning followed by national press articles to get him involved. 

He had been ignored for so long, its unlikely he would ever have been called up without this.

Rubbish the boys 18 and settling in another country that was the obvious reason he was left out,dealing with new language and culture probably living in his own for the first time

And before it he told the coaches to leave of whilst he put his move together

Dafties on Twitter or the people that still read the tablpids never got him called up,his form did

Hickey pulled out from injury so doesn't count

I didn't think you would come with a list of players anyway

Just now, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Rubbish the boys 18 and settling in another country that was the obvious reason he was left out,dealing with new language and culture probably living in his own for the first time

Dafties on Twitter or the people that still read the tablpids never got him called up,his form did

Where did you get this information?

23 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

That's not true.  Hearts asked for him to be left out as he was suffering from burnout, so he was.  Then you give him a bit of time to settle in Italy, first squad after that he was named.  Withdrew injured.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's not true.  Hearts asked for him to be left out as he was suffering from burnout, so he was.  Then you give him a bit of time to settle in Italy, first squad after that he was named.  Withdrew injured.

Fair enough if thats the case, I dont remember reading anything about him wanting to be left out. But I believe you.

So are you a supporter of Scott Gemmils and Billy Starks management?

Genuinely if you are, what do you think their doing well?

I dont see enough of the u19s, but the u21s I've seen and they are bad to watch. 

For me they don't get the right players on the pitch in the right positions either.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Fair enough if thats the case, I dont remember reading anything about him wanting to be left out. But I believe you.

So are you a supporter of Scott Gemmils and Billy Starks management?

Genuinely if you are, what do you think their doing well?

I dont see enough of the u19s, but the u21s I've seen and they are bad to watch. 

For me they don't get the right players on the pitch in the right positions either.

I aren't a fan of there management 

I support the team though

Your still to mention the better players who  weren't picked

Your statement not mines,so who are they?

Who do they play for every week?

We have to decide what we want to do with these squads first.

Do we want to use them in a way that we prioritise developing elite young Scottish players, or do we want to use them to win underage competitions? Because those two goals are not one and the same.

I’d prefer to use them for development. In which case, I’d rather we picked a coach who focuses on that. One things for sure, the lads in charge certainly aren’t it.

I aren't a fan of there management 

I support the team though

Your still to mention the better players who  weren't picked

Your statement not mines,so who are they?

Who do they play for every week?

I are a fan also.

Im not sure why you would think I would think that you made the statement I made. I remember what I said, its written in the thread.

I did mention 1.

So were in agreement about everything else? 

Just now, G51 said:

Do we want to use them in a way that we prioritise developing elite young Scottish players, or do we want to use them to win underage competitions? Because those two goals are not one and the same.

I’d prefer to use them for development. In which case, I’d rather we picked a coach who focuses on that. One things for sure, the lads in charge certainly aren’t it.

Completely agree, its great to have a winning team. But at the end of the day who really cares. Its about developing players for the main team. For the competitions that really matter.

Whatever the current objective is, were not reaching it. Id be surprised if there actually is any objectives.

Gemmill will carry on in charge. I've no doubt.

7 hours ago, G51 said:

many other countries manage to do both. 

8 hours ago, G51 said:

Getting players ready for the next level would seemingly involve winning games and qualifying for tournaments. A winning culture and attitude is hugely important.

Scoring once against the 5th placed team, and not at all against the 4th in four games shows a very weak offensive plan.

Croatia on the other hand scored 16 in those four games. Croatia that is - a country of 3.5m that does not have England as a neighbour nor a Rangers or a Celtic.

27 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Getting players ready for the next level would seemingly involve winning games and qualifying for tournaments. A winning culture and attitude is hugely important.

Scoring once against the 5th placed team, and not at all against the 4th in four games shows a very weak offensive plan.

Croatia on the other hand scored 16 in those four games. Croatia that is - a country of 3.5m that does not have England as a neighbour nor a Rangers or a Celtic.

Croatia does have Dinamo Zagreb though, who are a big team with a history of developing players. 

Winning cultures and mentality’s matter to some extent, but I think there are other, more important things these bairns should be learning first - adjusting to the pace of the game, decision making, reading defences and attacks etc. Players tend to come out of academies nowadays as technically developed (or close to it) as they’ll ever be. What you need to teach them are the mental and physical aspects. But there’s a lot more to the mental side than just winning.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Croatia does have Dinamo Zagreb though, who are a big team with a history of developing players. 

Winning cultures and mentality’s matter to some extent, but I think there are other, more important things these bairns should be learning first - adjusting to the pace of the game, decision making, reading defences and attacks etc. Players tend to come out of academies nowadays as technically developed (or close to it) as they’ll ever be. What you need to teach them are the mental and physical aspects. But there’s a lot more to the mental side than just winning.

Of course there is but there is zero doubt that we’re underperforming at u21 level. 

I would argue that nothing prepares young players like international tournaments, competing against the strongest sides, and convincing them they belong at that level.

It’s far more important to build that success, than it is celebrating an ability to play 3-5-2 effectively against San Marino.

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Of course there is but there is zero doubt that we’re underperforming at u21 level. 

I would argue that nothing prepares young players like international tournaments, competing against the strongest sides, and convincing them they belong at that level.

It’s far more important to build that success, than it is celebrating an ability to play 3-5-2 effectively against San Marino.

No doubt at all, and that's completely down to the management team. They picked an old side that couldn't get the job done and lacked a gameplan.

Best v Best is an important philosophy for developing players, but it does come with a catch when it comes to U21 football: in order to make sure you qualify for the tournament, you probably have to play footballers that are so developed and experienced that they aren't actually learning from the U21 games (Ferguson, McCrorie, Campbell, Turnbull, Hornby, Porteous etc) . Now maybe you can qualify while playing a team of 18/19 year olds, but your odds get longer and clearly our odds are long enough as it is.

It's not an easy question to answer. But ultimately the SFA are there to come up with the vision and implement it. That's what they're paid for.

All the youth teams should be about getting players out of them and up to the next level as fast as humanly possible.  Results are a bonus.

Players that are clearly never young to be good enough to play in the first team should be filler only.  No building a team round them cause they're more physically developed