2021 Travel/ Holiday Plans

Robin.Hood

Anyone planning an exotic holiday could find their insurance cheaper, with the FCO dropping many of their travel warnings to countries the traffic light system says are fine to go to. Big cull to the list of red list countries expected today or tomorrow too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/foreign-office-travel-warning-red-list-b1933481.html

1 hour ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Whatever is cheaper is fine with me :lol:

I first went to L’viv in February 2012 and loved it, have made a good network of friends and go back whenever I can. Someone told me Ryanair were going to expand on their UK/Ukraine routes but I’m not getting too excited. If they were to finally introduce a direct flight from Scotland it will probably be Edinburgh, but still it would make my life easier. 

Yeah, I visited Lviv in September 2019 for a couple of days as my missus' comes from southeast Poland and one of her best pals studies medicine there. What a place, indeed.

The number of countries on England's Covid travel red list will be cut from 54 to seven, the government says.

South Africa, Brazil and Mexico come off the red list, which requires travellers to quarantine in an approved hotel at their cost for 10 full days.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the changes begin on Monday and "mark the next step" in opening travel.

This latest move will be seen as a boost to the airline industry and families separated during the pandemic.

Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Haiti and the Dominican Republic remain on the red list.

Pandemic travel rules in the UK have recently been simplified, with the amber list cut, and advice against holidays changed for 32 countries.

Arrivals from 37 more destinations will have their vaccination status certificates recognised, meaning they can avoid more expensive post-arrival testing requirements.

Vaccinated travellers from Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Pakistan, South Africa and Turkey will be treated the same as returning fully-vaccinated UK residents so long as they have not visited a red-list country in the 10 days before arriving in England.

All arrivals will still complete a passenger locator form.

The UK government sets Covid travel rules for England. Devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will announce any changes to their rules in due course.

On 19/09/2021 at 21:00, welshbairn said:

No idea, but I'm transferring in Schiphol at the end of October, and intending to spend a night in Haarlem on the way back, and haven't even bothered checking the current rules as they'll almost certainly change by then. Relax and hope for the best would be my advice.

My flights to Berlin via Amsterdam were cancelled and the new ones have been changed since I rebooked.  A wait of 11 hours in Schiphol now! Contacted Schiphol and they wouldn't answer what I need to know about leaving and re-entering the airport but a very helpful person took great length to refer me elsewhere rather than tell me what their rules are. 

Edited by Hampden Diehard

17 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Just tested positive for Covid.  I am double jabbed and symptoms are minor thankfully.

I have to quarantine for 10 days.  Last day of isolation is 20th (can go back to work on 21st). 

Partner has just done an NHS drive through PCR this morning but no result yet.

We are due to fly out to Poland on 5th November. 

Tried to see if there is any restrictions/timescales regarding entering Poland after testing positive.  Anybody any idea? 

Or is it a case that after the 10 days I am in the clear?

The 5th would be the 16th day out of isolation.

I wouldn't worry, as far as I can see you'll just have to fill in the usual locator form and flash your QR code on the PDF or app. I don't think your positive test will appear anywhere, it definitely won't on your paper QR code. And ethically you'll be clear of covid by then.

18 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

My flights to Berlin via Amsterdam were cancelled and the new ones have been changed since I rebooked.  A wait of 11 hours in Schiphol now! Contacted Schiphol and they wouldn't answer what I need to know about leaving and re-entering the airport but a very helpful person took great length to refer me elsewhere rather than tell me what their rules are. 

It's clear as mud, as I said before if you're not flying till December there's no point in trying to figure it out at the moment as it's bound to change. As far as I can see I won't need any tests for a short transit in a fortnight, but I might need one to get out of the airport for a night in Haarlem on the way back early November, and I won't be allowed inside any pubs or restaurant as I'll be arriving too late to get an authorised local test for their covid app. Our proof of vaccine is accepted for arrival, but not for pubs etc. It's a pain in the arse. I'm trying to find a way around it, I'll let you know. There's supposed to be a way of uploading our QR code to the French Covid app, which effectively gives us an EU Digital Covid Passport which should sort things out, haven't tried it yet. The Dutch have the UK down as "very high risk", that's why they're making it difficult, maybe a bit of Brexit payback too.

Edited by welshbairn

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wouldn't worry, as far as I can see you'll just have to fill in the usual locator form and flash your QR code on the PDF or app. I don't think your positive test will appear anywhere, it definitely won't on your paper QR code. And ethically you'll be clear of covid by then.

Cheers, just did a dry run on PLF on the back of what you said and it does not ask.

Could have led to an awkward conversation if there had been a two week follow on as I would be in the clear and she would be 13 days.

Imagine telling her that as I gave her Covid she could not go home for grandfather's 90th but I could...then compound that by asking her if she could drop me off and pick me up at airport 😂

Christ, what a faff a weekend away is now. Romanian covid declaration form won't work online so will need to do it once I land. Test booked for when I get back and pretty sure that's me now sorted everything. I've went on three month holidays that took less planning than this.

23 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

This seems to be regularly updated and is the clearest summary of the rules I can find. Maybe worth bookmarking. Still not sure if I need to test before flying in double vaxxed, either from the UK on the way out or from Portugal on the way back. I'll probably do an LFT just in case. Found one for £23 here:

https://www.chronomics.com/fit-to-fly-antigen

Won't do you any good for going for a pish in an Amsterdam bar though.

Spent £14.99 on a return flight to Paris from Manchester, that I won't be using, just to get a French Covid Pass that I can use to get into pubs and restaurants in Holland on a stop over. If my flight arrived earlier I could have got a free government authorised LFT that would get me the Dutch pass, but they all close about 4pm, so this seemed the only way.  Weirdly they accept our covid passport for getting into the country, but not their bars and restaurants.

Edited by welshbairn

On 28/09/2021 at 23:53, ddfg said:

Has anyone seen confirmation of the date in November when the USA will start to allow visitors from UK and Europe? I thought a start date was being announced on Monday but i've not seen anything

On 29/09/2021 at 00:25, welshbairn said:

Only a rumour but the 8th is being mentioned by the likes of Paul Charles, a travel pundit. Definitely wouldn't book anything on that basis though unless it's incredibly cheap and free to change.

Looks like he was right for a change!

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Spent £14.99 on a return flight to Paris from Manchester, that I won't be using, just to get a French Covid Pass that I can use to get into pubs and restaurants in Holland on a stop over. If my flight arrived earlier I could have got a free government authorised LFT that would get me the Dutch pass, but they all close about 4pm, so this seemed the only way.  Weirdly they accept our covid passport for getting into the country, but not their bars and restaurants.

We had a couple of lads there this week, it's because the dutch still class the UK a as red list country but our boys got in everywhere no bother ( just outside rotterdam)with double vax proof 1 Norwegian 1 Scot 

25 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

We had a couple of lads there this week, it's because the dutch still class the UK a as red list country but our boys got in everywhere no bother ( just outside rotterdam)with double vax proof 1 Norwegian 1 Scot 

Not surprised by this, but for £15 quid it seemed worth it just in case they're jobsworths in Haarlem. Cheaper than an airport lounge anyway.

7 hours ago, Stuarty said:

I’m lost by it all the now. If I was to fly from Glasgow to the Canary’s on Nov 6th what’s required these days for in bound flights to and from?

You'll need to fill in Passenger Locator forms within 48 hours of flying, one for Spain going out and one for the UK flying back, and book an LFT test for up to day 2 after you get back. You need a code to prove you've booked it for the UK PLF. That's it. The day 2 LFT tests aren't up and running for booking yet, so hang on for a bit, I'd wait till a few days before you fly back in case they get rid of them altogether. The above applies to people who are double vaxxed only.

Edited by welshbairn

On 13/10/2021 at 13:18, welshbairn said:

I'm trying to find a way around it, I'll let you know. 

Thanks. I can get a train which will swoosh me to Berlin in 6 hours and is roughly the same cost as the flight from the Dam to Berlin. I'd certainly rather do that than hang about any airport for 11 hours.  As you suggest, I'll hang fire a bit but going to the bother of tests to spend a day in the city doesn't seem worth it.

Anyone born between 1 July 2001 and 31 December 2003 and wanting a free Eurorail pass, you have a last chance to apply, ends for good for UK citizens Oct 26th. They've given out 70 thousand passes since 2018, so there's a fair chance of winning.

A.12 Can citizens from the United Kingdom participate in this round of DiscoverEU?
Exceptionally, under the terms of the United Kingdom’s Withdrawal Agreement from the European Union, UK citizens are eligible to participate in the 2021 round, as they were eligible for the cancelled rounds in 2020 whose budget has been transferred to 2021.

As the United Kingdom left the European Union on 31 January 2020, UK citizens will not be eligible anymore to participate in any later new DiscoverEU rounds.

https://europa.eu/youth/discovereu_en

Answering my own question, you need an EU vaccine passport to travel on the train between Amsterdam and Berlin. Non-EU big hitters like Albania and North Macedonia have joined the scheme but none of the UK countries have. 

Edited by Hampden Diehard

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Thanks. I can get a train which will swoosh me to Berlin in 6 hours and is roughly the same cost as the flight from the Dam to Berlin. I'd certainly rather do that than hang about any airport for 11 hours.  As you suggest, I'll hang fire a bit but going to the bother of tests to spend a day in the city doesn't seem worth it.

If you can get a cheaper train ticket by booking in advance, I'd go for it. Far better getting stuck into Berlin bars 5 hours earlier imo even without the Dutch testing hassle, and having to come back to Schiphol again to wait for your Berlin flight.

P.S. Re your last post, just found out the French can take 26 days to process my application for one of their passes that are accepted EU wide. I'm pretty sure that UK passes will be accepted by December though, there was a statement the other week that it was nearly a done deal.