2021 Travel/ Holiday Plans

Robin.Hood

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Did not realise I needed a PCR test before flying back into Scotland. May make my three nights in Bucharest a bit more challenging.

You don't, just an antigen test.

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I'm basing that on thisf9d79abf-7de8-4c70-b14f-9fb6de06cf8c.jpg

Click on "take a COVID-19 test before you travel to Scotland". When they say "take a Covid-19 PCR test within 2 days of arriving in Scotland" they mean after you return.

Edited by welshbairn

I have a meeting in Gdansk in December, which frankly its unlikely I could attend due to the Covid restrictions and quarantine here in Singapore.

However, before knocking this back, as it's close to Christmas I am looking at the possibilities of coming over and then having Christmas at home.

I am looking at flying in to Amsterdam (it could also be Paris, Copenhagen, Munich or elsewhere), then flying up to Gdansk. 

Then Gdansk to Edinburgh (or Glasgow) via Amsterdam and finally Edinburgh (Glasgow) home to Singapore. 

What is needed in relation to Covid precaution to do such a trip in Europe/UK these days?

I am double vaxed with certificate, do not live in Scotland but would stay with my mother over Christmas.

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

I have a meeting in Gdansk in December, which frankly its unlikely I could attend due to the Covid restrictions and quarantine here in Singapore.

However, before knocking this back, as it's close to Christmas I am looking at the possibilities of coming over and then having Christmas at home.

I am looking at flying in to Amsterdam (it could also be Paris, Copenhagen, Munich or elsewhere), then flying up to Gdansk. 

Then Gdansk to Edinburgh (or Glasgow) via Amsterdam and finally Edinburgh (Glasgow) home to Singapore. 

What is needed in relation to Covid precaution to do such a trip in Europe/UK these days?

I am double vaxed with certificate, do not live in Scotland but would stay with my mother over Christmas.

No point in even thinking about Covid rules at the moment, they'll be different by Thursday and far more so or hopefully non-existent by December. Wizz Air fly direct to Edinburgh and Aberdeen from Gdansk, not every day though so might not fit into your schedule. Otherwise Schiphol is probably as good a hub as any if the flight times work. Using it in November flying back to Inverness but needing an overnight stop so staying in Haarlem, closer than Amsterdam and much cheaper for hotels. Obviously make sure any flights you book are cancellable should things change for the worse or any hub you use goes red. Using London as a hub would cut down the small risk of Netherlands going red, but would likely mean fannying about changing airports so not something I'd recommend.

Edited by welshbairn

I think double vaccinated with a certificate not issued in the UK, EU, EEA or USA is effectively the same as not vaccinated as far as Scottish Covid laws go at present. I'm assuming yours was done in Singapore so doesn't count.

Only Poland, of the countries you mentioned, is on the amber list at present meaning those without qualifying vaccine certification (as above) would have to isolate for ten days on arrival. However, if you spent ten or more days in a green list country after leaving Poland and before arriving in Scotland you would be okay.

You also need to test before departing for and after arriving in Scotland.

Obviously this can all change before December so keep checking the below. You would also need to check the entry rules for Poland, any intermediate European country and Singapore, prior to your return.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/red-amber-and-green-list-countries/

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I'd be amazed if a Singapore proof of vaccine isn't acceptable here by December. And Poland's rate is only 8/100,000 so it will likely go green this week. Way too early to predict December rules though..

P.S. I see the Singapore proof of vax is accepted in the Netherlands, so that's one hurdle out of the way.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

No point in even thinking about Covid rules at the moment, they'll be different by Thursday and far more so or hopefully non-existent by December. Wizz Air fly direct to Edinburgh and Aberdeen from Gdansk, not every day though so might not fit into your schedule. Otherwise Schiphol is probably as good a hub as any if the flight times work. Using it in November flying back to Inverness but needing an overnight stop so staying in Haarlem, closer than Amsterdam and much cheaper for hotels. Obviously make sure any flights you book are cancellable should things change for the worse or any hub you use goes red. Using London as a hub would cut down the small risk of Netherlands going red, but would likely mean fannying about changing airports so not something I'd recommend.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think double vaccinated with a certificate not issued in the UK, EU, EEA or USA is effectively the same as not vaccinated as far as Scottish Covid laws go at present. I'm assuming yours was done in Singapore so doesn't count.

Only Poland, of the countries you mentioned, is on the amber list at present meaning those without qualifying vaccine certification (as above) would have to isolate for ten days on arrival. However, if you spent ten or more days in a green list country after leaving Poland and before arriving in Scotland you would be okay.

You also need to test before departing for and after arriving in Scotland.

Obviously this can all change before December so keep checking the below. You would also need to check the entry rules for Poland, any intermediate European country and Singapore, prior to your return.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/red-amber-and-green-list-countries/

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I'd be amazed if a Singapore proof of vaccine isn't acceptable here by December. And Poland's rate is only 8/100,000 so it will likely go green this week. Way too early to predict December rules though..

P.S. I see the Singapore proof of vax is accepted in the Netherlands, so that's one hurdle out of the way.

Thanks Gents,

Yes, vaccine is moderna for me and Pfizer for the wife all issued in Singapore.

The company would be paying the flights and we wouldn’t be flying low cost (not snobbery, just a company/distance/tme thing), so should be okay with scheduling if things went wrong. 

I think it's going to be too far fetched as currently quarantine back to Singapore is 10 days in a quarantine hotel although that may change in the coming weeks. 

If there are other quarantine needed, it will definitely kill it. Can also fly in to an English airport and drive up if that makes things easier.

I could have the meeting to another country if that would change things. Most realistic would be Sweden, France, UK in that order, although the UK wouldn’t be too practical. Denmark could also be possible.

Unfortunately I’ll need to make the call in the next week or so as the wife will need visas for both EU and the UK. This also kind of knocks using London as a hub as it would mean a ‘double entry’ and the UK generally shit at all this.

Last time my wife came over to the UK we needed a lot of time to apply for the visa and the costs ridiculous. When we travel to Europe it takes a couple of days and has been free whilst UK was in the EU.

Also, last time I came over to Europe had a bit of a disaster. Flew into Frankfurt with a connection to Vienna. The flight to Vienna was delayed and missed the airport closure time. We had to disembark and be put up in hotels. Lufthansa were fantastic, efficiently got us into taxis and off to the hotel and back the next morning with a pick of flights to Vienna. 

After some business in Vienna and Budapest, I was flying to Scotland via Heathrow to visit my mother. The flight to Heathrow was delayed (there was a big storm in Spain that affected the UK/Weatern Europe delaying many flights). Subsequently missed the connection at Heathrow to Edinbugh (although the Ednburgh departure was also delayed several hours) and BA didn't give a f**k. Took a while to find someone to issue a hotel voucher which was some distance from the hotel and then told to take a service bus there and back. 

So no fan of flying BA or through Heathrow

Proof of vaccination is checked at every restaurant, cafe and hotel in France - even for having a coffee at a table outside. Thankfully, a screenshot of the QR code works for their scanners.

As I've mentioned, this trip involves my wife in her electric wheelchair and accessibility is important. Orleans was ok-ish. Obviously a medieval city has loads of cobbles and you can't complain about that but even in the modern parts the "dropped" kerbs were almost impassable.

Montpellier is worse. We're in a city centre hotel and literally can't get further than 200m from the hotel without chancing it on the roads with the insane French drivers. Pavements are like bombsites and often at an angle that makes her chair slide uncontrollably. Now that the rain is on and the streets are even slippier, we're just going to push on to Barcelona. 

This will go down well here. Glass repair shop did the whole "mañana, mañana " thing until we got talking about Catalonia and Scotland. He was outraged that he couldn't input Scotland on his computer screen as "Everyone has heard of Scotland". We compared Catalonia and Scottish chances of independence for a while, then he said he'd get the car fixed within the hour :)

Said it before but bears repeating, we get treated better abroad once they realise we're not English.

Edited by Newbornbairn

9 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

This will go down well here. Glass repair shop did the whole "mañana, mañana " thing until we got talking about Catalonia and Scotland. He was outraged that he couldn't input Scotland on his computer screen as "Everyone has heard of Scotland". We compared Catalonia and Scottish chances of independence for a while, then he said he'd get the car fixed within the hour :)

Said it before but bears repeating, we get treated better abroad once they realise we're not English.

Did they nick much from the car? Had to report a theft in Santiago de Compostella and it was a nightmare trying to get anyone in the cop shop to understand my terrible Spanish.

Rucksack and a handbag. Cash, keys, odds and ends.

Police were useless. Made me wait outside the station in 30 degrees sun for an hour before just stamping a form and waving me away. Asked them for the address of the station and they replied "Google it" as they slammed the door.

Ahhh, made me feel like I was dealing with Fife's finest again.

6 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Rucksack and a handbag. Cash, keys, odds and ends.

Police were useless. Made me wait outside the station in 30 degrees sun for an hour before just stamping a form and waving me away. Asked them for the address of the station and they replied "Google it" as they slammed the door.

Ahhh, made me feel like I was dealing with Fife's finest again.

Still got your bank cards at least?

4 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Aye. Had money stashed in small amounts all over. Passports and cards separate too. Lost maybe 500 Euros and £250 cash. 

Good luck with the insurance then. My last emergency thing is having a bank card numbers and photocopy of my passport hidden away so if I lose everything else I can find an internet cafe and get Western Union to send a load of cash out, it's really quick, you can pick up the money in an hour or so just about anywhere in the world.

Got back in on Monday and no additional checks at Glasgow airport. There was just a cursory check in Malaga of our COVID documents at the bag drop desk.
Did the day two test today and that should be that.
Was £60 in Spain for two LFT’s - could likely have got it cheaper but couldn’t be bothered shopping around. An additional £150 for two PCR day two tests so an extra £210 all in. More than we paid for the flights.
Worth it though, weather was fantastic and had a great time. Would recommend Malaga as a city, has a great buzz about it.