Building a house

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Houston or Bridge of Weir would be better actually as Kilmacolm doesnt have a great high school catchment area and is in Inverclyde. Its a lovely area though but for me sticking with one of those two to get it in the Gryffe High school area would be a win. Ultimately it’d be a long term house for us, not looking to sell and make loads of money, but if it generated equity to make my retirement a bit more comfortable when we would downsize then that is a bonus. 

Does if you are going private Had a friend who moved out of Kilmacolm when the kids were getting close to starting high school

23 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’ve heard nothing but negative things about Gryffe High. To the point where even moving schools and towns last year it want into its catchment.

Was getting told the story that when they built all those new houses next to Brookfield that was a selling point that the kids would be getting in to Gryfe High But it did not work out that way i think Was not paying attention

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Really? Its rated as one of the top schools in the country?

Yes. My son goes to high school next year so one eye was on high schools. Feedback from someone who taught there wasn’t good either.

If you’re only focus in on results then yes it looks good.

1 minute ago, maicoman said:

Was getting told the story that when they built all those new houses next to Brookfield that was a selling point that the kids would be getting in to Gryfe High But it did not work out that way i think Was not paying attention

Yup I heard that too and it was then zoned to Linwood high.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, maicoman said:

There must be someone on here that has built their own house Would like to here about the experience of doing it

Had someone on my shift a few years ago that built his own house.  Never seen anyone so tired or stressed out as he was. We were on shifts and he was not getting the sleep he needed as he was doing all hours.  When it came to tie into the local sewer he was almost frantic with worry. If the main pipe was broken or they broke the pipe when drilling into it he was responsible for the replacement of it. Fortunately it went well but at one stage had to give him three days off at no cost to him to alleviate his tension and anxiety.

The house was lovely when it was finished but he sold it at a good profit, moved into rented accommodation for a few years and built another house.  Looks magnificent but really do not know if it was worth the stress and anxiety that he went through.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, RH33 said:

Also noticed you gave to give your kids weird or pretentious names if building own house.

Unnecessary and traumatising.

Unnecessary is seven and Traumatising has just turned four. 

• 5 months later...

I like to play Planet Zoo. It is an exciting game for people that likes Tycoon. I like the editor of the house in the game. I am a big fan of building, and I love every game that s related to this domain. I want to become an architect when I graduate high school. I started to love him when we were building our house. We used the services of a scaffolding company, it is called Pete Suen, and I was so amazed by how they are transforming a plan on paper in real life that I decided that I want to work in this domain in the future.

Edited by johnnebby

58 minutes ago, johnnebby said:

I never knew that I'd have to do so much, building a house is so hard.

Do you, perchance, know of a handy website that will make all of our housebuilding troubles go away? Just throwing it out there on a mad whim.

Edited by Perkin Flump

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

I want to build a treehouse. Do I need planning permission? Can I grow my own tree?

Not to worry, by the time your tree's grown Western civilisation will have collapsed into competing and constantly warring statelets ruled by populist idiots, and the financial and regulatory systems will have collapsed. All you'll need is a baseball bat to stop Morningside and St Andrews types from squatting in it.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not to worry, by the time your tree's grown Western civilisation will have collapsed into competing and constantly warring statelets ruled by populist idiots, and the financial and regulatory systems will have collapsed. All you'll need is a baseball bat to stop Morningside and St Andrews types from squatting in it.

I look forward to downward spiral. I’ll be sure to purchase a couple of crossbows and a healthy supply of bolts. Baseball bats are too much effort. I’m not leaving my treehouse.

• 2 months later...