Building a house

Have any P&B members ever built their own house or commissioned a turn key project with a pre-fab maker like Huff Haus or Baum Fritz? Mrs ICR and I are quite taken by modern architecture and often look at grand designs etc and think we’d like to give it a bash in the next ten yesrs or so. I quite like the california style houses on youtube channels like Enes Yilmazers’ (obviously not the mansions and bel air houses) but the idea of big windows, walk in dressing rooms and open plan living/family rooms etc. 

Have done some initial looking about and for a house designed more or less to what we want it’d cost the same as a new build Cala/Stewart Milne house where we dont have any real input into the layout and design of the house. 

There are some pre-fab companies in Scotland but their houses all try and look like crofts and long houses etc and thats not really what we are into. 

Anyway be interested to see if any posters have done a self build and if they would do it again, anything come up that they didn’t anticipate? 

7 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Have a look at Scotframe. They're pretty adaptable and reputedly easy to work with. 

I had a look at them last week, their stuff looks decent, just more edging towards the bauhaus style as its closest to the Californian style houses we really like but no one seems to build. Im not very handy so it would have to be a turnkey project for us. 

26 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’ve watched enough grand designs to know that it’ll cost more than you have, will involve at least one pregnancy, probably a divorce and also a serious illness.

Often a dead dog as well. Not a project for animal lovers. 

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

I’ve watched enough grand designs to know that it’ll cost more than you have, will involve at least one pregnancy, probably a divorce and also a serious illness.

And Kevin Mcloud looking you up and down like a massive creep. 

41 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’ve watched Grand Designs with you. That smile when some eco-glass gets delayed on its way from Antwerp and the nice couple gets pushed over budget. That’s the real you.

Yes, that did cross my mind, have been looking at ‘huf haus’ and ‘scandi-haus’ amongst others who do a ‘turn key’ deal, the gist being you basically get them to do the entire build, including the planning, build, fixtures, kitchen/bathroom and decor, most will fly you to germany to meet their architects and plan the house, its then up to you to find the plot, get the foundations/site ready and get utilities hooked up, they apparently do everything else except landscaping (however we’re not thinking much other than decent astroturf and some planters etc). They do that for a fixed price which means the delay on the eco-glass or the kale dried ceiling tiles being late doesnt drive your price up. 

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

I'm sure he'll be in by Christmas though, but only if he project manages it himself. 

Totally won't still be in a caravan with the wife and three weans, pretending not to hate each other in front of Kevin.

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm sure he'll be in by Christmas though, but only if he project manages it himself. 

Totally won't still be in a caravan with the wife and three weans, pretending not to hate each other in front of Kevin.

‘For fucks sake,  I’m sick of your pish,  just stay on site to cut costs I can’t feel my fingers and I’ve barely slept for months, Fucking joke.’

Oh Hi Kevin.  Well obviously we’ve had to make a few sacrifices but being in the caravan has brought us together and it will all be worth it when we get our dream home

Edited by parsforlife

8 hours ago, Enigma said:

I’ve watched Grand Designs with you. That smile when some eco-glass gets delayed on its way from Antwerp and the nice couple gets pushed over budget. That’s the real you.

'Freiburg'. 

There's a company called Fjordhaus who have built a few houses in Scotland, working in partnership with the Glasgow based contractor CCG.

They've built a few at Archerfield near North Berwick.

I think all the houses are A) massive and B) entirely bespoke, so possibly worth a look.