PPV prices

17 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
36 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:
Obligation? Of course not.
But Falkirk will charge the price they need to in order to cover their wages.
I'm under no obligation to pay the asking price for anything. Equally producers are under no obligation to give their products away at a loss. If we're reducing it to a purely financial argument then if it costs the producer £2.50 to make a bottle of beer then they're not going to sell it to me for £2.00 - they're going to ask me to pay £3.00.
Fans need to be realistic in their expectation. If you were turning up to watch the game as an away fan then would you expect Falkirk to charge home fans a home price and away fans the amount that the visiting team would normally charge? Or a discount just for the travelling support?

Couple of things here. Let's say nobody pays £14 to Falkirk, are they better with say 100 people paying £10 or none paying £14? The answer is obvious

Are they better making a small loss?

If they can't make up the difference and can't sustain the debt then it doesnt matter. Losing £1000 a game or £10,000 a game really doesnt matter if you can't sustain the £1000 loss. The end result is exactly the same: Administration.

A loss is a loss. Falkirk will either be able to mitigate that loss and carry a debt or they won't.

22 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
41 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:
Obligation? Of course not.
But Falkirk will charge the price they need to in order to cover their wages.
I'm under no obligation to pay the asking price for anything. Equally producers are under no obligation to give their products away at a loss. If we're reducing it to a purely financial argument then if it costs the producer £2.50 to make a bottle of beer then they're not going to sell it to me for £2.00 - they're going to ask me to pay £3.00.
Fans need to be realistic in their expectation. If you were turning up to watch the game as an away fan then would you expect Falkirk to charge home fans a home price and away fans the amount that the visiting team would normally charge? Or a discount just for the travelling support?

Couple of things here. Let's say nobody pays £14 to Falkirk, are they better with say 100 people paying £10 or none paying £14? The answer is obvious

Given that you'd imagine most regular home fans will have bought season tickets or streaming passes or subscriptions, the full price is largely going to be paid by casual fans and away fans. Precisely the type of people who're going to be more sensitive to higher prices.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Virtual tickets and bottles of beer are fundamentally different because there's no unit cost associated with virtual tickets aside from possibly some marginal scaling in the web hosting.

Of course clubs won't sell double as many tickets at £7.50 as they would at £15 but there's obviously some degree of elasticity between price and demand. Clubs obviously have to decide amongst themselves what they want to charge and what the optimum price is. 

Obviously I'm not suggesting home clubs should have two tiered pricing for home and away fans. I'm suggesting that if clubs charge too much, some fans won't pay for it. I don't really understand why Dumbarton fans in particular seem to have such a problem with this.

There might be no unit cost. That doesnt matter a jot when Falkirk need to cover the cost of running the club.

Player wages. Staff wages. Ground maintenance. Running costs.

If Falkirk need to charge £15 a head for their stream then thats what they need to charge. If a lower stream price doesnt cover their running costs then they either need to find another source of revenue, somehow finance the loss over the season or cut their wage budget and running costs.

Football fans have this weird mental block to the cost of running a club. We'd all love to pay less money to watch our team, either in person or via a web stream. Unfortunately there just arent enough people willing to pay to watch Scottish football. Clubs have tried reducing costs with very little success. Price is a factor in SPFL attendances but it isnt the only factor or even the biggest factor. Football in Scotland costs what it costs because thats how much money clubs need to bring in to cover their operating costs. The only way football can charge less is by getting a significant number of new fans through the doors (when we're able to get back into football grounds). Streaming has the additional problem that a £15 stream will cover an entire household. That household may otherwise pay for 1 or 2 adults attending a game and their kids. There's the concession stand revenue that's lost with streaming games. There's the matchday ancillary income such as 50/50 ticket sales, bar income and programme sales.

Fans need to wake up to the financial reality of running a football club. I know none of us follow Balance Sheet FC, but there needs to be a wee bit of realism as to whats happening in football and how much football actually costs.

20 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

The numbers you're using there aren't even remotely realistic though. The number of people willing to pay £10 will only be a small increase on those willing to pay £14. If 80 people paid £14 and 100 paid £10 then a club loses money with the £10 option. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Obviously I'm not suggesting home clubs should have two tiered pricing for home and away fans. I'm suggesting that if clubs charge too much, some fans won't pay for it. I don't really understand why Dumbarton fans in particular seem to have such a problem with this.

Clubs will be well aware of this though, they've been pricing games their entire existence. At Dumbarton we've done discounted prices, bring a friend days, all sorts of initiatives to get loads more bodies in and they generally equate to a small increase in fans. So if pricing PPV matches at £14 puts a handful of away fans off buying it then it won't really affect us too much, but allowing our core support of 200-300 that would likely sign up for £14 to sign up for £10 would lose us money. 

5 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I believe Falkirk have invested quite significantly in their streaming service so it will be interesting to watch this evening.
As long as we provide a decent service I’m quite happy to pay the slight additional costs....

:shutup

Have decided to forgo away game streams as in these times prefer to give my own club cash. Have a season ticket so get access to home game stream as part of that. The club are now running a weekly 50/50 draw along the same lines that used to be done on match days which will hopefully bring in some revenue. For as long as streaming is needed i will be spending £10 a week to our 50/50 draw. The longer this goes on the more important each £1 will be to a lot of clubs.

This isn't related to prices, but it struck me today that people being able to go from the end of the game straight onto here without the cooling-off period of getting home first could make this season a golden age for seetheposting.  Previously that was only the case for televised games, now it's every game.  Heads-gone, verge of tears etc. etc. all over the shop.  Lovely.

On 03/10/2020 at 11:46, Gordon EF said:

If Falkirk are offering a much better service with humans on camera, multiple angles, replays etc, I think £14 is fair enough if the standard pixellot offerings are around the £10 mark.

We are down to £13 now for all that

44 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

We are down to £13 now for all that

I agree. Our stream is basic to be honest; no replays, no pre-match analysis and the commentary is bland and uninspiring really. Hopefully all of the above can be improved.

Would pay 3 quid more if Falkirk are offering this. It's the price of a ticket at the turnstiles and ok not getting the atmosphere of being in the stadium which is a huge miss but we're supporting the league and helping the club's take in much needed revenue.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I agree. Our stream is basic to be honest; no replays, no pre-match analysis and the commentary is bland and inspiring really. Hopefully all of the above can be improved.

Would pay 3 quid more if Falkirk are offering this. It's the price of a ticket at the turnstiles and ok not getting the atmosphere of being in the stadium which is a huge miss but we're supporting the league and helping the club's take in much needed revenue.

We do do a decent package.

Montrose are 50P cheaper than us and no replays.

Also the whole game was shot on 1 camera which didn't move for the 1st minute