St Johnstone v Celtic, Sunday 4-10-20

It's mental that as many as 7 clubs outside the old firm voted for 5 subs really. Always going to be at a disadvantage.

Good performance today with Wotherspoon and Tanser really good on the left. As good a defensive performance as I've seen from Tanser, hopefully he kicks on again this season.

Thought O'Hallaron should have been on for Conway but I get why it was Wotherspoon with him on a booking. Maybe think we should have replaced May and Conway with 10 to go as both looked knackered- lack of squad hampering us again.

Lots of positives though. Conceded barely any chances and held on the ball well in spells. Clichéd, but can't miss chances like Conways against celtic. We all know where we are lacking though.

Watching it back, the three defenders going up isn’t an issue at all. They’re back in place comfortably in plenty time and settled. Griffiths drifts off Davidson, Gordon glances over at him but doesn’t go to him and he’s left free. Gordon should probably go and get close to him.

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

If there's to be one more signing after Melamed, what do we reckon it will be? A central defender? In that scenario, I think I'd feel pretty comfortable with our squad depth overall.

Was just about to post something similar. I'd be happy enough with only Melamed but think central defensive cover would just tidy things up. 

We maybe lack a player of the quality of O'Halloran, Swanson or Kennedy at their peak out wide but unless you fluke a loan star, we aren't going to address that at this stage. That's my one gripe with Conway and Wotherspoon in the shape today, we don't have the legs to stretch teams. You could play O'Halloran but he doesn't really have the intelligence to operate there.

The manager did say more than one the other day but wasn't giving much away today. 

If Saints had £100,000,000 to spend then we could maybe think about playing like Leeds! unfortunately like most Scottish clubs we don't have £100,000 to spend on players !  

Not one single Scottish Premier team make any concerted effort to try and score goals against the Old Firm. All teams are effectively beaten before they start home and away - 10 men behind the ball, hoping for an 0-0 or perhaps a set piece or a rare breakaway. It is simply not worth watching. If the points are completely written off before the start why not try something different and actually try and press high or get some midfielders ahead of the ball. Try and do something that might just make the match watchable. Sadly the national team are a carbon copy of the negativity and inevitability of defeat that prevails throughout the Scottish Premier League. I totally understand the massive financial inequality but there is so much more that teams can do to “mix up their play” and at least offer some threat or make the game interesting.

4 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not one single Scottish Premier team make any concerted effort to try and score goals against the Old Firm. All teams are effectively beaten before they start home and away - 10 men behind the ball, hoping for an 0-0 or perhaps a set piece or a rare breakaway. It is simply not worth watching. If the points are completely written off before the start why not try something different and actually try and press high or get some midfielders ahead of the ball. Try and do something that might just make the match watchable. Sadly the national team are a carbon copy of the negativity and inevitability of defeat that prevails throughout the Scottish Premier League. I totally understand the massive financial inequality but there is so much more that teams can do to “mix up their play” and at least offer some threat or make the game interesting.

Off you pop then.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Theres more than one way to win a game, m8.

You make it sound like you’re inventing the wheel. Don’t you think teams have tried what you suggest?  It usually ends up in an utter horsing. 

Did you watch the game caller?  Saints pressed Celtic high up the park for the first half and were the better team just after half time for a wee spell during which we missed a sitter, hitting the post.

In many of our performances against Celtic over the last couple of seasons you would have a point, but not today. Yes the last 10 minutes or so we were hemmed in a bit but that was it really.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

How come teams still beat them fairly regularly then?

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Watching it back, the three defenders going up isn’t an issue at all. They’re back in place comfortably in plenty time and settled. Griffiths drifts off Davidson, Gordon glances over at him but doesn’t go to him and he’s left free. Gordon should probably go and get close to him.

Davidson himself said in his interview that we lost another goal from our set piece.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Davidson himself said in his interview that we lost another goal from our set piece.

Well, the phase of play before it was our set piece, that’s true. But it wasn’t like the Livi goal in any way. The defence is back and set comfortably before the cross is close to coming in, it was just a bad error after 90 minutes of a hard shift.

Celtic fans who think teams with 1/100th of their budget should come out and all out attack (ie make it easier for them to rack up a big score) make me laugh, especially when they do exactly the same in Europe when they come up against a bigger team.

Well, the phase of play before it was our set piece, that’s true. But it wasn’t like the Livi goal in any way. The defence is back and set comfortably before the cross is close to coming in, it was just a bad error after 90 minutes of a hard shift.
Celtic fans who think teams with 1/100th of their budget should come out and all out attack (ie make it easier for them to rack up a big score) make me laugh, especially when they do exactly the same in Europe when they come up against a bigger team.
The Celtic fans on Twitter moaning about Muzz make me laugh even more.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's nothing like a last minute winner to remind you that OF fans are cretins.

Look MR, they spend their hard earned money to watch their team swat aside diddy teams by 5 or 6 goals on a weekly basis.

Any attempt to defend or prevent them from doing so by said diddy club is quite frankly a breach of consumer rights.

You should apologise.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Look MR, they spend their hard earned money to watch their team swat aside diddy teams by 5 or 6 goals on a weekly basis.

Any attempt to defend or prevent them from doing so by said diddy club is quite frankly a breach of consumer rights.

You should apologise.

Credit to St Johnstone for taking us to the last minutes of the game,this is why Aberdeen don't push for second place.
You guys have a manager that is happy with a point,Celtic fans know the chance will come to pick up the 3 points.
Maybe if diddy teams treated every point like a prisoner their points tally wouldn't put them in trouble.