St Johnstone v Celtic, Sunday 4-10-20

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

As I say, the counter doesn't even lead directly to the goal, we have about 6 players in the box when they cross.

The CBs are all set when the crosser has the ball. Liam Gordon has at least two glances at Griffiths standing free on the edge of the box, and time to either move out or call for help, yet allows him to remain unmarked.

I'd be more annoyed about that than the decision to try and win the game.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. The decision to make 3 centre backs head up the park with 2 minutes left in a game where they had played with rigid determination, means that their concentration would have broken and they just temporarily lost shape. That was enough, sadly. 

It was also a piss poor free kick, chipped gently to the penalty spot against a Celtic defence that is 9 foot tall and always likely to head clear to a midfielder just waiting to counter attack. Deep to the back post would have cut down on Celtic's chance of opening the game up from a defensive header. 

44 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Unlucky Saints. They had to put up with a combination of brutal challenges and deceiving the referee from the Glasgow team. Unfortunately it was almost inevitable that Griffiths would score and just like the Champions League qualifying disaster, all his pre-season shenanigans will be forgotten.

There were brutal challenges before " Broony " came on ?

Saints were excellent today. Yes one of Conway's free kicks on the halfway line was a lazy dive. Only one I saw. 

McNamara was excellent, Kerr good, Conway good by his standards, frustrating but some great crosses. 

Agree with others that even 0-0 with five to go Celtic were only at half pace. Surprised they left it so late to get the goal they were always going to. 

16 minutes ago, Romeo said:

It's it just today the rule has become an issue?

Only in your own wee, paranoid, world.

Saints fans have brought it up as an issue all season, and as mentioned earlier, it also caused us huge problems against Aberdeen.

We're already disadvanted due to shite crowds/trying to survive Covid while others chuck money about, so to then add in the ability of bigger clubs to change half their outfield over the course of a game, is a massive disadvantage in games like this.

Players work like f**k for 90 minutes while Celtic just chuck on one fresh International attacker after another onto the park. 

19 minutes ago, Romeo said:
32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:
No one is criticising Celtic using the rule. The criticism is of the rule to increase subs being implemented.

Is it just today you've started to write English?

43 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Every year there's a St Johnstone player who should be getting caps for Scotland. 

Every single year. 

It’s not so much that I think Kerr’s an international class centre back, it’s that I don’t think I’d take Jack Hendry, David Bates, Declan Gallagher, Michael Devlin or some other young (ish in the case of Gallagher) centre backs who have had caps in the last couple of years in the Saints team ahead of Kerr! What it really highlights is infuriating the dearth of talent in that area.

Anyway, as far as the game goes, we desperately need a fucking goal. So the same as most weeks this season.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

Plenty moaning about the 5 sub rule and I totally get that. 

However until the first goal we only made one sub meaning half the team were blowing out their arse. 

So not only have Celtic used the rule to their advantage we have completely failed to use it to ours. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

Only in your own wee, paranoid, world.
Saints fans have brought it up as an issue all season, and as mentioned earlier, it also caused us huge problems against Aberdeen.
We're already disadvanted due to shite crowds/trying to survive Covid while others chuck money about, so to then add in the ability of bigger clubs to change half their outfield over the course of a game, is a massive disadvantage in games like this.
Players work like f**k for 90 minutes while Celtic just chuck on one fresh International attacker after another onto the park. 
Brilliant, heads gone.

2 hours ago, Romeo said:
2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:
No one is criticising Celtic using the rule. The criticism is of the rule to increase subs being implemented.

I think for me today was the most obvious example of why it is a negative thing in that it massively benefits the clubs with the biggest resources.

I can't say I've really paid attention to it as much when teams like Motherwell, ross county or st Mirren, with comparable resources, might have used 4-5 subs.

Celtic did nothing wrong, I just don't see what positives this rule has given us and the reason we needed it, when the main impact will be an ever-widening gap based on finances, and bigger clubs stockpiling players even more.