Jump to content

Aberdeen v St Mirren #FNF


Recommended Posts

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Didn't even realise you hadn't used subs. By the latter stages Aberdeen players were sprinting away and left the opposition looking like they were stuck in the mud.

One thing that Aberdeen have done well this season is use our subs to turbo-boost a game. We probably have the strongest bench outside Celtic.

St Mirren didn't make any substitutions tonight ? That seems mental. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

 

Aye we've no hope after a performance like that with a depleted squad. Have a day off. 

Defensively we're good enough, but we do not create enough chances.

I agree that we're not shambolic, but we will struggle to retain our top-flight status unless we improve up front.

 

Question: how many times have we scored more than a single goal in a game this season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems strange that Goodwin left you so short of options if it is true this was by choice. From an Aberdeen point of view Mcinnes deserves credit on this occasion for his game management, from an attacking perspective on this occasion. He went for the win and left two at the back to get it with St Mirren fading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Blaze said:

12 shots on target in the last 6 games, scoring 3 goals. Brutal. 

The conversion rate's not that bad! But an average of two shots on target per game, and you can see why we're where we are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Our manager, to prove a point (rightly or wrongly) named 4 subs out of a possible 9 tonight and with players literally slowing down to a drag as the game wore on, chose to use none of the subs. A couple of pairs of fresh legs, even as an outball would have made a difference. 

I've been a fan of Goodwin and stood up for him all the way so far. I can understand his frustration with regards to the Magennis sale but f**k off with that petty shite to the detriment of the team and maintain professionalism. 

End of the day, we've lost 6 on the spin and most of them meekly. Losing tonight, although the performance may have been better, still ends with him and his ludicrous decision not to use substitutions. 

What changes would you have made out of interest? 

I don't think McAllister or Durmus offer enough defensively. I take the point about the out ball to fresh legs but sometimes subs for the sake of it can up set how the team is playing. Tonight we were unfortunate. 

Edited by houston_bud
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

What changes would you have made out of interest? 

I don't think McAllister or Durmus offer enough defensively. I take the point about the out ball to fresh legs but sometimes subs for the sake of it can up set how the team is playing. Tonight we were unfortunate. 

In that situation? The most tired legs were in the full back areas. Morias on particular was struggling badly. I'd have probably replaced Morias with McAllister and put him in Cammys position. MacPherson isn't great at right back but he'd have done OK winding down the last 15.

Id have also sacrificed one of the centre forwards, possibly for Jamieson who does have a lot of running in him and likes to drift out wide.

All moot though, we DO have defenders in our youth squad and without a shadow of a doubt, I'd have had at least 3 more youngsters on the bench tonight to slot right in and soak up that last 20 minutes. I definitely would never have picked 4 subs under any circumstances when up to 9 were allowed and I had youth players at my disposal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off well done to Aberdeen. Would love to see the old firm lose the league we F'n hate both. I'm pleased as I have seen energy , a bit of fight that's an improvement in previous weeks. Being a St Mirren fan is like watching Scotland that's the best description I can give. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just catching up as the credits roll on Alba. Absolute gutter, that. As has been pointed out, our legs were gone and we needed to make some subs. I know Morias has his weaknesses, but he put in one hell of a shift tonight, and took a fair few (sporting) knocks, too. That point when Cammy knocked it down the line for him and he basically stopped. He gave everything and couldn't run any more.

MacPherson pulled the strings for us all night, and was really very good. That said, we still don't create chances. McGrath is an odd player. He's literally capable of dribbling past three players, then blootering it long and hard for a goal kick (he actually did that).

The passage of play that led to their equaliser stemmed from that fucking bizarre non-contested drop ball. It seemed to rattle us and the goal was inevitable. I don't know why our players didn't try to get a foot in. 

Anyway... Well done Aberdeen. Draw probably the fairer result, but the way they were coming at us in the end meant the loss wasn't entirely surprising. I did think we'd seen it out though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also just finished on Alba. 

Could easily have been raging just now. Spent the first half hour with 4-5 players queueing up to cross to one guy in the box. Saints bossed the next half hour comfortably and we couldn't find a red shirt. 

Subs made the difference for us. The first two made a good case for themselves.

Thought we deserved the win over the 90 but we didn't dominate like I'd hoped. 

Thought macpherson was man of the match. Despite the fellatio that McCrorie/Ferguson has been getting he controlled the midfield. 

Tough titties for the saints. I didn't like our performance but i love the tenacity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just catching up as the credits roll on Alba. Absolute gutter, that. As has been pointed out, our legs were gone and we needed to make some subs. I know Morias has his weaknesses, but he put in one hell of a shift tonight, and took a fair few (sporting) knocks, too. That point when Cammy knocked it down the line for him and he basically stopped. He gave everything and couldn't run any more.

MacPherson pulled the strings for us all night, and was really very good. That said, we still don't create chances. McGrath is an odd player. He's literally capable of dribbling past three players, then blootering it long and hard for a goal kick (he actually did that).

The passage of play that led to their equaliser stemmed from that fucking bizarre non-contested drop ball. It seemed to rattle us and the goal was inevitable. I don't know why our players didn't try to get a foot in. 

Anyway... Well done Aberdeen. Draw probably the fairer result, but the way they were coming at us in the end meant the loss wasn't entirely surprising. I did think we'd seen it out though.

You weren’t allowed to contest the drop ball as Aberdeen were in possession when the ball hit the ref.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

In that situation? The most tired legs were in the full back areas. Morias on particular was struggling badly. I'd have probably replaced Morias with McAllister and put him in Cammys position. MacPherson isn't great at right back but he'd have done OK winding down the last 15.

Id have also sacrificed one of the centre forwards, possibly for Jamieson who does have a lot of running in him and likes to drift out wide.

All moot though, we DO have defenders in our youth squad and without a shadow of a doubt, I'd have had at least 3 more youngsters on the bench tonight to slot right in and soak up that last 20 minutes. I definitely would never have picked 4 subs under any circumstances when up to 9 were allowed and I had youth players at my disposal. 

Any youth players that you wanted to put on the bench would have had to have been in your testing bubble. Do you have any that are? If not, there’s not much Goodwin could have done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

St Mirren are a very decent side and can feel hard done to come away with nothing. The last couple of years I've been wondering how are they so low in the table when they play so well against us. 

We played well in the last 20 minutes and got our reward in dying the moments of the match. Controversial opinion, but I'd argue Watkins is the best striker I've seen since Zerouali. His ability on the ball is superb.

Hedges was fantastic. Ferguson was ok - good finish for the goal. McCrorie wasn't as effective. There are no easy teams in the league this season - apart from Ross County who have been the worst team we've played.

Forget about Kyle Magennis - Macpherson was really good yet again. Very talented youngster.

Erhahon was my MOTM. Even before his wonder goal he stood out. He's only 19. I hope we are keeping tabs on this boy. Great player.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...