Aberdeen v St Mirren #FNF

8 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
8 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:
Morias put in some shift, out on his feet now. 3 in centre of midfield been everywhere, all 3 been excellent.

Aye fair fucks to him. He always gives 100%. Worked his bollocks off tonight.

Gives his absolute all and more every single game but can’t help but feel he doesn’t have the quality with the ball at his feet that a team like St Mirren needs. More than a few times last night he had the chance to run with the ball, bring the team up the pitch with him, and play a ball to a team mate in a better position. 

Bought the stream off Red TV and watched with my mate earlier, definite improvement in the performance of St Mirren but I fear the late goal might dent the confidence and take away from what was a pretty solid display. Erhahons goal was an absolute screamer, and I genuinely didn’t think St. Mirren would go onto lose the game going by the 5/10 minutes after that, until the minute Watkins scored, and then I was pretty sure they would lose the game.

A real lack of backbone in the St Mirren side, the nervousness in the team was visible to see. I’m genuinely unsure if it is under Goodwins instruction, or wether the players naturally fell into the shape they did in the last 10 minutes of the game, but camping your defence and midfield in to the 10 yards infront of your own 18 yard box is a tried and tested way to invite wave after wave of pressure and the late goal seemed somewhat inevitable to us. 

8 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Above: my prediction on Wednesday. Emboldened text = why we will struggle this season, in a nutshell.

I think the performances against Livingston and Hamilton are starting to get rewritten now, because for long spells of those games we were on the back foot. 

I’ve been going along to St Mirren games since the last time they got relegated from the Premiership. Ian Murray was the manager at the first game I went to. Apart from the 18 month spell where Jack Ross saved Saints from relegation and then got them promoted the next season, I think I could count the number of games I’ve seen them score 2 goals in the same game on one hand (cup games aside). 

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You weren’t allowed to contest the drop ball as Aberdeen were in possession when the ball hit the ref.

You can't contest a drop ball now, it's been done away with. The new rule is a nonsense and last night was a perfect example of why. A slack Aberdeen pass would've been collected by a St Mirren player (Macpherson I think) yet the ref manages to get in the road so Aberdeen get the ball back in a dangerous position with no opposition players allowed within a few yards of them. The arbitrary nature of 'last team to touch the ball'  is daft. I heard no one ever claim that drop balls were an issue that needed addressed, so have no idea why they changed the rule. 

Edited by houston_bud

On 30/09/2020 at 23:55, tarapoa said:

Would Hibs and arguably Viking Stavanger not be classed as better than this season's Motherwell?

That game, from our point of view, was a mesh of slightly mitigating circumstances that contributed to a pumping that at one point looked to be getting embarrassingly out of control.

St Mirren for a while was a gimme for us, but in the last couple of years has become a harder fixture..............with a couple of recent struggles down there, and the 2-2 game up here still fresh in the mind.

The first goal seems to be everything in our games this season - and in some ways an early goal for the Saints might prove a decent test on whether our current best XI are indeed capable of coming back from adversity.

Decent

27 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

You can't contest a drop ball now, it's been done away with. The new rule is a nonsense and last night was a perfect example of why. A slack Aberdeen pass would've been collected by a St Mirren player (Macpherson I think) yet the ref manages to get in the road so Aberdeen get the ball back in a dangerous position with no opposition players allowed within a few yards of them. The arbitrary nature of 'last team to touch the ball'  is daft. I heard no one ever claim that drop balls were an issue that needed addressed, so have no idea why they changed the rule. 

I like the law.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Watching it again, I don't think the St Mirren keeper covered himself in glory at the 2nd goal. It did go through the number 4's legs though, so maybe he was just that half a second late because of that. 

St Mirren's goal was a cracking strike, but it came from an obvious foul throw....a sadly under-recognised infringement. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Marley Watkins absolutely strolls that league, like he always had done. There's very few defenders up here who can deal with him. 

Edit - Van Dijk and Denayer user to shite themselves when he was running at them. 

Edited by TheScarf

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Marley Watkins absolutely strolls that league, like he always had done. There's very few defenders up here who can deal with him. 

Edit - Van Dijk and Denayer user to shite themselves when he was running at them. 

Now that he's adding goals I'd have to agree. Would be outstanding business if we could get him on a permanent deal.

I thought Watkins looked much better once Edmondson came on.

Whether that was due to us having no choice, but to get our fingers out and go for it - or just the extra freedom of playing off another striker occupying the centre halves, he looked very good for the last half hour or so.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I could be wrong but were we not in possession of the ball under no pressure and a St Mirren player went down and required treatment. Why should that be contested?

Edited by Merkland Red

I could be wrong but were we not in possession of the ball under no pressure and a St Mirren player went down and required treatment. Why should that be contested?

Think it was the one where Hedges’ pass hit the ref.

Had the ref not been there, I’m not sure that was finding a red shirt.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

There were two. There was another near the edge of the box where Morias was too busy arguing to pick up Hayes run. 

11 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Think it was the one where Hedges’ pass hit the ref.

Had the ref not been there, I’m not sure that was finding a red shirt.

Cheers. I knew there was a couple but maybe got them mixed up. I'm probably thinking of the one where the keeper poleaxed the defender which was the opposite half.

Obviously very disappointed to lose like that, and for it to be 6 on the bounce too.

And losing Magennis on the same day.

BUT... and I realise I’m in a minority here - I can see us finishing relatively comfortably in 7th-8th this season.

Next to nothing went right for us in the 5 games prior to last night; and only one loss was by more than a single goal (and that was 3-0 to Hibs, when denied a stonewall pen at 2-0 and the third was punched in).

We’ve played 4 of those games without first choice defenders through suspension. And three with an emergency keeper.

And players like Connelly and Dennis - in their brief periods before getting injured - show they can add something to the team in the much needed attacking area.

MacPherson and Erhahon last night were excellent and that’s encouraging.

Big couple of days ahead in the transfer market and we absolute MUST strengthen the defence.

Hard one last night, but we’re not doomed yet!

Didn't realise this was on last night - :o - shows how much attention I've been paying. Just watched the highlights, thought the Saints keeper was sleeping a bit for the winner, but it's easy to judge from the comfort of your armchair.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Didn't realise this was on last night - :o - shows how much attention I've been paying. Just watched the highlights, thought the Saints keeper was sleeping a bit for the winner, but it's easy to judge from the comfort of your armchair.

I thought he was poor for both goals.