Aberdeen v St Mirren #FNF

54 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

St Mirren made life difficult for us a few times last season, including times when we won.

We're basically the Belgians at the start of WWI. Neutral/non-aggressive, no danger of us invading your territory, we might offer slight resistance, but it's a case of when, not if, we'll be defeated.

Edited by Coventry Saint

If Goodwin sets up like he did against Killie I think I'll just turn it off, we can't just let the opposition have the ball and hope they don't break us down for 90 mins and we can maybe get a goal from a set piece. Is Tait still suspended for this one? If so I'd play Erhahon at full back, put Macpherson in the middle with Foley and McGrath and play Durmus and Connolly on the wings with Erwin up top. Let Connolly and Durmus run at the defence and get balls across the defence and crosses in to Erwin. 

4 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

If Goodwin sets up like he did against Killie I think I'll just turn it off, we can't just let the opposition have the ball and hope they don't break us down for 90 mins and we can maybe get a goal from a set piece. Is Tait still suspended for this one? If so I'd play Erhahon at full back, put Macpherson in the middle with Foley and McGrath and play Durmus and Connolly on the wings with Erwin up top. Let Connolly and Durmus run at the defence and get balls across the defence and crosses in to Erwin. 

Yeah, that all seems fair. At this stage I honestly don't know what Connolly has to do to get a start. He looks genuinely capable of unsettling defences and is one of the quickest players we've had for some time. Even if he's only fit enough for an hour, that's fine.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what needs to change in the way we play, and I honestly think it could be as simple as taking the shackles off one of the two midfielders. If it's Cammy, then great: make Foley sit and spoil (he's not good for much else on current form) and give Cammy licence to push on and support McGrath and Erwin. That's what the teams who've beaten us have done well (of the games I've seen): Hibs, United and Kilmarnock all had players pushing on from deep to support the front men. We have a) failed to deal with that defensively and b) failed to match it going forwards ourselves.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, that all seems fair. At this stage I honestly don't know what Connolly has to do to get a start. He looks genuinely capable of unsettling defences and is one of the quickest players we've had for some time. Even if he's only fit enough for an hour, that's fine.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what needs to change in the way we play, and I honestly think it could be as simple as taking the shackles off one of the two midfielders. If it's Cammy, then great: make Foley sit and spoil (he's not good for much else on current form) and give Cammy licence to push on and support McGrath and Erwin. That's what the teams who've beaten us have done well (of the games I've seen): Hibs, United and Kilmarnock all had players pushing on from deep to support the front men. We have a) failed to deal with that defensively and b) failed to match it going forwards ourselves.

Exactly, McGrath and Connolly are the only 2 that have shown glimpses of being able to be dangerous and create something going forward. Durmus hasn't shown it this season but he can beat a man and get a good cross in, we need to give them a chance to do it.

We leave a 40 yard gap between Erwin and the rest of the midfield who do not push up and two wide players who never get into the game as they are so far wide and hug the touchline trying to get a cross in but never actually get into the box and support the striker. I suspect they are under instruction so it is up to Jim to change it.

We know Durmus can be a good player although he hasn't been great so far however he needs more movement around him when he gets the ball. Usually his only option is pass it inside or back as the midfield never cross the half way line in support. And the absence of Connolly is a mystery. If he is not 100% match fit (although that has never stopped McAllister getting a start) then play him from the off until he is knackered then replace him. Don't bring him on when we are losing with 10 mins to go.

And McGrath and McPherson can provide far more energy to the midfield than Foley and Sheron who have been invisible this season.

But the problem seems to be JIm and not necessarily the players.

14 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Exactly, McGrath and Connolly are the only 2 that have shown glimpses of being able to be dangerous and create something going forward. Durmus hasn't shown it this season but he can beat a man and get a good cross in, we need to give them a chance to do it.

Thing is, it's easy to mark someone like Durmus out the game if there's no movement inside. We've got to give teams more to think about than we have done.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

We leave a 40 yard gap between Erwin and the rest of the midfield who do not push up and two wide players who never get into the game as they are so far wide and hug the touchline trying to get a cross in but never actually get into the box and support the striker. I suspect they are under instruction so it is up to Jim to change it.

And the absence of Connolly is a mystery. If he is not 100% match fit (although that has never stopped McAllister getting a start) then play him from the off until he is knackered then replace him. Don't bring him on when we are losing with 10 mins to go.

Re Connolly, he visibly took about five minutes to adjust to the intensity of the game on Saturday, (not blaming him) so yeah, get him on from the beginning. Tell him to run himself into the ground for an hour then swap him if necessary.

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

One of the problems with midfield being run over is having wingers hugging the side line. Tait is out for one more game agree with you Erhahan in defence with McPherson in the middle.  We desperately need Kyle and Ryan back in midfield.  

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

A guaranteed home win unfortunately.  The losing run we've been on has been very poor, with the exception of the Celtic game. 

Will be subscribing to PPV , but really not looking forward to more non tactics from Goodwin. 

It's on Alba at 10pm as long as it's not a cricket score I will watch it then. 

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

It's on Alba at 10pm as long as it's not a cricket score I will watch it then. 

I might try and hide from the score and watch it late on. Though I hate non-live football. Trying to pretend you're watching it in a d world where the final score doesn't already exist just leaves me a bit cold.

On 28/09/2020 at 13:34, Coventry Saint said:

I might try and hide from the score and watch it late on. Though I hate non-live football. Trying to pretend you're watching it in a d world where the final score doesn't already exist just leaves me a bit cold.

I’ve thought about doing that a couple of times, but just don’t have the willpower. Knowing that a click on my iPad would bring up the final score would be too much for me. Give Aberdeen your hard earned £12.99.

52 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Aberdeen 3 or 4 st mirren 0 with 0 shots on goal

You have a decent side capable of pushing for a place in the top 6. I don't think its going to be as straight forward a result as some on here would have you believe. 

I'm anticipating Aberdeen to have most of the possession but to be limited to a few key chances. I could easily see St Mirren grabbing a goal on the counter. 

I think we'll win but the scoreline will be closer. I hope I'm wrong and we win 3-0.

You have a decent side capable of pushing for a place in the top 6. I don't think its going to be as straight forward a result as some on here would have you believe. 
I'm anticipating Aberdeen to have most of the possession but to be limited to a few key chances. I could easily see St Mirren grabbing a goal on the counter. 
I think we'll win but the scoreline will be closer. I hope I'm wrong and we win 3-0.
We have some decent players but Tait is suspended at left back. As we only have 4 defenders on our books that means moving right back to left back and a good midfielder being wasted at right back. Defence is a mess.

Jim will also field 2 wingers who play so wide and deep they could be sitting in the stand. And the other midfield 3 sit in front of the defence and pass to the opposition without crossing the half way line. Striker left isolated.

Home win but 'there will be positives to take'.