Alternatives to Google Play Music

RiG

Like may others I'm being encouraged to shift my music library from Google Play Music to YouTube Music which is pretty crap by comparison. From what I have found so far you can't play music with the screen locked, you can't edit album or song info, the mixes are mainstream garbage, you need to pay for a Premium YouTube account to cast music to your smart devices and to remove ads between songs (even ones you own already) and there are apparently lots of problems with Android Auto as well.

Basically it's shite. I binned YouTube Music a couple of months ago and have been eeking out what I can from Play Music but with its demise on the horizon I'm looking for something similar to Play Music to move to instead of YouTube Music.

Any suggestions?

18 hours ago, Mr X said:

Wish I could help. Im also being forced over the Youtube music (obviously) The kids love it but they spend a lot of their time watching Youtube as well as listening to music.

I pretty much never watch Youtube, certainly not for music but I wont have much choice

They also seem to be doing away with the ability to buy music from Google as well which seems a bit odd. Looks like they are just copying the Spotify model of streaming only.

17 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

A record player?

No.

After a lot of searching it seems iBroadcast is the way to go :)

https://www.ibroadcast.com/home/

Still find it really bizarre Google are just giving up on selling music and basically mirroring Spotify and doing streaming only. Does no one want to actually own their music any more?

Edited by RiG

• 2 weeks later...

YouTube premium is utter fucking gash.

I've just transferred over and now I can't play my Google play purchases offline. 

There's some feature about an "offline" mixtape. I went for it and it has downloaded some absolute shite onto my phone. I'm now able to listen to A-Ha and Frankie Valli?

Do I seriously need to go through my library and download everything manually?

21 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

YouTube premium is utter fucking gash.

I've just transferred over and now I can't play my Google play purchases offline. 

There's some feature about an "offline" mixtape. I went for it and it has downloaded some absolute shite onto my phone. I'm now able to listen to A-Ha and Frankie Valli?

Do I seriously need to go through my library and download everything manually?

You should be able to use Google Takeout to download your music library from Play Music until you decide what you want to do with it.

https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

YouTube Music is shite :) 

You should be able to use Google Takeout to download your music library from Play Music until you decide what you want to do with it.

https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout

YouTube Music is shite [emoji4] 
Is Takeout not just a list of what you have.

Think you have to download the actual music files separately

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Is Takeout not just a list of what you have.

Think you have to download the actual music files separately

It can be but, in this case, it should be the music files as well.

According to Google (my emphasis in bold):

How can I save my data and purchased and uploaded music before Google Play Music shuts down?

If you want to save your Google Play Music data (including your purchases and uploads), you can either transfer it to YouTube Music or download it to your computer using Google Takeout. More on how to do that below!

You can transfer your data and purchased and uploaded music from Google Play Music to YouTube Music by following these steps: 

• Visit https://music.youtube.com/transfer and click Transfer (OR)
  • Open the YouTube Music app > tap on your profile picture > Settings > Transfer from Google Play Music > Transfer from Google Play Music

You can download your GPM data and purchased and uploaded music using Google Takeout by following these steps: 

• Head over to Google Takeout
  • Check the box next to Google Play Music and then click Next step
  • Select your choice of a delivery method, frequency and file type
  • Click Create export 

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Wow!! All these modern devices and 'apps' that supposedly make everything 'easier ' sure make things complicated. 

Well, they're certainly easier than carrying your entire record collection around with you.

Just transferred all my stuff over to Youtube music. I have to say, for playing music from my library, it looks exactly the same as google music did

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Well, they're certainly easier than carrying your entire record collection around with you.

That, I will concede. However I manage to have my music on my laptop, phone, two sd cards in the car and netbook. I see no need for any of the apps, they just play :)

On 16/10/2020 at 13:57, Mr X said:

Just transferred all my stuff over to Youtube music. I have to say, for playing music from my library, it looks exactly the same as google music did

Yeah it looks easy enough but scratch under the surface and there are a lot of things you cannot do with YTM that you could do with GPM. Some of them, including some more complicated ones, are listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googleplaymusic/comments/icmwdf/one_comprehensive_list_of_youtube_music/

On 01/10/2020 at 11:31, RiG said:

After a lot of searching it seems iBroadcast is the way to go :)

https://www.ibroadcast.com/home/

Still find it really bizarre Google are just giving up on selling music and basically mirroring Spotify and doing streaming only. Does no one want to actually own their music any more?

Even more bizarre considering that Spotify rip off artists and still don't make cash - its a terribly executed business model and probably won't last, Amazon Music will sweep them aside. 

https://www.lovemoney.com/gallerylist/82445/spotify-conquered-music-industry-no-profit-streaming