Forgotten football stories

ICTChris

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

I can't find any record of it now, but I'm absolutely sure I remember hearing about Falkirk's big Crawford Baptie (yes. really) going into the changing room at half time one freezing day at Clydebank, putting his hands in a basin of hot water, and fainting.

Jock Brown tells a story that absolutely must be apocryphal of Rangers playing a European Cup tie away at Red Star Belgrade in, I think 1990 or thereabouts. As he tells it the Radio Clyde commentator didn't see who scored one of Red Star's goals so he turned to the stalwart journalist Doug Baillie to ask. Misunderstanding his reply, he turned to his microphone and announced "And Fuktifano scores for Red Star."

Priests used to get into Celtic Park for free (don't even go there). I think it was Fergus McCann that ended it.

Oh, and Celtic once announced plans to move to a massive, brand new stadium in Cambuslang to be funded by a Swiss bank that had never heard of the project, via some deeply shady people. Unsurprisingly, they were soon hours from bankruptcy. http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Celtic+Park+-+Cambuslang+site+plans 

All clergy of any denomination got in free, apparently.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

The subject of world cups and scandal reminded me of Colombia Andres Escobar (unsure how common a name that is in Colombia...) firing in an O.G. against the yanks in 1994 and getting shot after he returned home. Awful stuff. 

And Alan Hansen glorifying it and actually saying live on TV the next day "he deserves shot for a mistake like that" about another player at the World Cup. 

My uncle was a bit of a handy goalkeeper in the 1960’s, starting off at Arsenal and going on to play over 300 games for Hull City. One day after training, a young fan saw him eating an orange whilst walking through town.

The following week a few oranges were thrown into his goal from the terraces, word got round that he was a big fan of oranges.

This continued week after week, with club officials having to come on before the game and clear the goal of dozens of oranges.

One away game, think it was Sheffield, my uncle was hit (accidentally) by an orange thrown by an enthusiastic young fan, who was promptly arrested.

The case went to court I believe, and he went to give evidence in support of the young boy.

23 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Probably one for the auld da contingent, but what are the football stories that people seem to have forgotten about from years gone by that deserve remembered?

I’ll start with -the Chilean World Cup scandal. In 1990 the Chilean team walked off the pitch in a World Cup qualifier against Brazil after their goalkeeper was injured by a firework from the terraces. The game was abandoned as the Chilean team refused to play on in an unsafe ground. Photographs from the game showed that the firework didn’t hit the keeper and when questioned he confessed that he’s deliberately injured himself with a razor blade hidden in his glove, as part of a plot to have the game annulled by team management. The keeper, Roberto Rojas, was banned for life and Chile were barred from the next World Cup.

What other completely mental stories do P&Bers have that should be remembered?

Was that as far back as 1990?

14 hours ago, velo army said:

The subject of world cups and scandal reminded me of Colombia Andres Escobar (unsure how common a name that is in Colombia...) firing in an O.G. against the yanks in 1994 and getting shot after he returned home. Awful stuff. 

I don't think those things were related. 

The Archbishop of Dublin John Charles McQuaid in 1952 sucessfully lobbied the FAI into cancelling a friendly against Yugoslavia due to feeling Tito's government discriminated against Catholics. McQuaid called for a boycott when the countries met in 1955 but this failed.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

Jock Brown tells a story that absolutely must be apocryphal of Rangers playing a European Cup tie away at Red Star Belgrade in, I think 1990 or thereabouts. As he tells it the Radio Clyde commentator didn't see who scored one of Red Star's goals so he turned to the stalwart journalist Doug Baillie to ask. Misunderstanding his reply, he turned to his microphone and announced "And Fuktifano scores for Red Star."

There are a few variations of that, which makes me think that it's a joke rather than an actual story. The other variation I've heard is that Scotland were playing Belgium and the commentator asked who one of the Belgian players was and the co-commentator replies "who knows?". The Belgian player then received the ball and the commentator said "It's Whoknows on the ball".

My uncle was a bit of a handy goalkeeper in the 1960’s, starting off at Arsenal and going on to play over 300 games for Hull City. One day after training, a young fan saw him eating an orange whilst walking through town.

The following week a few oranges were thrown into his goal from the terraces, word got round that he was a big fan of oranges.

This continued week after week, with club officials having to come on before the game and clear the goal of dozens of oranges.

One away game, think it was Sheffield, my uncle was hit (accidentally) by an orange thrown by an enthusiastic young fan, who was promptly arrested.

The case went to court I believe, and he went to give evidence in support of the young boy.
This is a great story, which also featured in the excellent Harry Pearson's monthly column in When Saturday Comes a few months ago.

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When Tommy Burns signed for Kilmarnock he had to be substituted at a game at East Fife's old Bayview Park  because he'd got hypothermia. 

It was a bit of a cold ground was Bayview. 

It was TB who told the story, Davie McKinnon was the f-f-f-f-frozen player.

On 27/09/2020 at 23:35, GordonS said:

No, they just looked much older because many had moustaches. Most of the world matures quicker than our skanky northern genes.

E78CA08B-1710-47B0-A4A9-BB799A6C5FBF.jpeg.856d5492291ee4ee92179f8994961521.jpeg.cd9fd7c6a305848969a5c5584da6f937.jpeg

There's maturing quicker, then theres this.

They're meant to be younger than 16.

This is a great story, which also featured in the excellent Harry Pearson's monthly column in When Saturday Comes a few months ago.

I subscribe to WSC, but must have missed this. Any idea what month the story was in? Would love to send on to my Dad.