Current football cliches

Just now, ewan14 said:

What is the relatively recent phrase for " parking the bus " , defending in depth etc ?

Jose Mourinho coined that phrase early in his first spell at Chelsea after they drew 0-0 with Tottenham.

Spurs were very negative and "parked the bus" on the goal line to kill the game and escape with a draw.

When any central defender doesnt just hump it the way they are facing they are deemed to be "comfortable in possession" or a "ball playing centre half".

Taking 5 or 6 touches to then either shell it forward or pass it a few metres to the side is not, and never has been, something to celebrate.

19 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

When any central defender doesnt just hump it the way they are facing they are deemed to be "comfortable in possession" or a "ball playing centre half".

Taking 5 or 6 touches to then either shell it forward or pass it a few metres to the side is not, and never has been, something to celebrate.

Indeed,  being able to control and pass a ball is a fundamental of football.  Goalkeepers should be able to take a ball down, trap it and kill it dead.  

Not sure if this is just a cliché or should be in the terrible journalism thread, but describing every bad bit of play as a player/team just lacking in confidence really boils my piss. 

Striker skies the ball over the bar from 3 yards out... just a lack of confidence.

Defender gets skinned one-on-one time and again (looking at you Shane Duffy)... really lacking in confidence.

Team in an awful run of form... all they need is a bit more confidence.

Utter, utter shite. Nothing about poor technique or decision making. Nothing about poor tactics or just a player/manager being shite. All about confidence lads. Just think you are the dog's bollocks and you'll be ripping up La Liga with Messi and co.

Edited by Jacky1990

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

Right footers are run of the mill, a team of cultured maestros should be the aim.

I am left footed.

As am I, I once scored direct from a corner with my left foot.  Was a splendid effort; whipped in with pace and style, right over the keepers head and into the side of the net.  A cultured effort.

When I hit it, it stayed it

On 15/12/2020 at 16:16, NorthernLights said:

"Match Week X"

It seems that over the last few year each set of fixtures is now a "Match Week". Just seen a post on Facebook for the English Premier League looking back at "some MW13 classics".

This, especially when they don't last a week, and often aren't a week apart.

"Round of games" or old-fashioned "league card" IMO.