Current football cliches

I thought 2-0 was the dangerous scoreline?  .......or is that a 'funny' scoreline, definitely something about 2-0 that gets mentioned from time to time.

Aye, I think you are right.

Gordon “if it weren’t for EBTs we wouldn’t have had helicopter Sunday” Smith used to always go on about 2-0/2-1 constantly when he was co-commentating on Sportsound back in the day.

On 28/09/2020 at 11:45, Andy_K_97 said:

I don't like the emerging prevalence of pundits using the term "that play" to describe a passage of play, was reminded of it listening to radio 5 for the evening game last night and John Murray described one particular movement of the ball as "the best play of the game thus far". It just sounds clunky and I wait with dread for it to show up on Sportsound or Sportscene soon.

That has come from NFL, where they have specific plays. Makes absolutely no sense talking about football.

One that gets me is this or versions of it...

He's a winger, there always inconsistent.

Why wingers? What's different about running down the edge of the pitch and crossing from midfield or a more advanced position, than doing the same from left or right back or playing the same game with the same ball in the middle of the park?