Current football cliches

Every few weeks a certain phrase or cliche creeps into the lexicon of football pundits and commentators and suddenly they are all using it.

I've noticed "they've seen this movie before" has appeared from nowhere and it is really grinding my gears. James McFadden was the latest to say it on Sportsound yesterday.

What are the cliches/phrases that you are sick of hearing?

It is what it is.

14 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Every few weeks a certain phrase or cliche creeps into the lexicon of football pundits and commentators and suddenly they are all using it.

I've noticed "they've seen this movie before" has appeared from nowhere and it is really grinding my gears. James McFadden was the latest to say it on Sportsound yesterday.

What are the cliches/phrases that you are sick of hearing?

It is what it is.

It is what it is and....we go again next week..

Losing is not acceptable at (insert name) football.club. Adding football club is the manager's equivalent of shouting FACT! 

14 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

No but it seems to be making a comeback, as things stand at this moment in time.

There you go.

ETA: They are all annoying, but we all use them.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Does the word 'tekkers' count as new? I don't remember hearing it until about ten years ago.

I'd cheerfully murder anyone talking about "good tekkers" and feel entirely justified.

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Does the word 'tekkers' count as new? I don't remember hearing it until about ten years ago.

I'd cheerfully murder anyone talking about "good tekkers" and feel entirely justified.

Soccer AM is to blame for the vast majority of things that go about today, most of them were created as a parody ironically.

32 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

“If you take that out of him, he’s not the same player” - used to be for the likes of Rooney, now applied to Morelos

The Rooneys and the Moreloses.

Pundits saying how no one can understand the handball rule now, when it would be clear if they took 30 seconds to read the rules. It used to be the same for the offside rule. "If you're offside, you're offside. If you're on the pitch, you're interfering with play".

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo