Croydon Police Shooting

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
3 hours ago, heedthebaa said:
Oh there’s loads, Facebook is vewy vewy angry 
D3FDD96E-A471-42AA-8174-D48704274ED6.thumb.png.adf38055432af34e426c6b5259f64ab0.png

Can just picture all the wrongly spelt "thanks" from all the boomers, cream buns and scum mums.

I feel a talented musician could work those beautiful lyrics into a nice ballad. 

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

In the build up to a major terrorist trial a number of years ago myself and a colleague walked into the designated prison area with the component parts of a gun secreted about us. We were searched and scanned and permitted entry.  There was much embarrassment when we went into a room and assembled the gun and caller the searching officers in.

Did you shoot them?

There are a few issues at play here. As has been mentioned the handcuff position is one. The back to back is easier to get on but allows movement, The rear stack is trickier and not everyone can be put into it successfully as such there are various improvisations that could have happened. 

There is mention of special constables being involved. With the best will in the world they are volunteers who are barely trained and don't see the daily grind of regular cops and don't come across as many dangers.

The searching is going to be hugely scrutinised both at the time of arrest and the process attempted in custody.

There is also the firearm used. Good quality handguns are still hard to come by, however there is a growing market of converted air guns and starter pistols. The issue with these is that they are hugely unpredictable to use and you are in as much danger pulling the trigger as having it pointed at you.

The death of an officer in England and Wales  has been coming sadly. Due to a perfect storm of media scrutiny, social media keyboard warriors as well as police management scared to upset community panels and meetings.

Officers are reluctant to use their powers to stop and search and 7se of force. They are wary of being dragged over the coals for perceived discrimination 

however there is a growing market of converted air guns and starter pistols. The issue with these is that they are hugely unpredictable to use and you are in as much danger pulling the trigger as having it pointed at you

This is all sadly very true, one of my sisters' best friends was shot by someone using a starter's pistol a couple of years ago. Nothing really came of it but the police said it was race related.

10 hours ago, pub car king said:

Officers are reluctant to use their powers to stop and search and 7se of force. They are wary of being dragged over the coals for perceived discrimination 

That's not relevant here as the guy had been stopped and search. 

It also doesn't correlate with all the videos of BAME peeople being harassed with stop and search by the police in London.  

Edited by Detournement

It was a general comment on stop and search. The whole point of stop and search is its a tool to iliminate someone from an enquiry and the goal is to stop arrests by using it. The whole thing came out of the enquiry into the Brixton riots in the 80's.

Not all cops are decent and a lot of them don't know how to communicate effectively which is ridiculous as that should be their greatest asset.

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

It was a general comment on stop and search. The whole point of stop and search is its a tool to iliminate someone from an enquiry and the goal is to stop arrests by using it. The whole thing came out of the enquiry into the Brixton riots in the 80's.

Not all cops are decent and a lot of them don't know how to communicate effectively which is ridiculous as that should be their greatest asset.

We're searching you because we don't want to arrest you! Aye right. 

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this is the best place to put it, but the inquest into the death in police custody of Leon Briggs has come out today, with the police and ambulance services both criticised for failings in the case. Channel 4 News, on behalf of the family, this evening showed the bulk of the footage of him being bundled into a jail cell and being left face down on the ground for three minutes without supervision while the officers left, during which time he passed out and died. 

https://www.channel4.com/news/police-and-ambulance-failings-contributed-to-leon-briggs-death-inquest-jury-finds

It's absolutely mind-boggling stuff that makes you wonder what every official in the room was thinking, and as usual the police were far from forthcoming in uncovering the truth. Between this and the Metropolitan Police trying to use Covid regulations to deflect commemoration of a murder victim, it's been quite a 24 hours (or indeed week once you chuck in last weekend's nonsense in Glasgow).

Edited by vikingTON

As someone who has been in a similar position to Leon Briggs myself, and works with people subject to the Mental Health Act, I can honestly say that I'm not remotely surprised by these findings as shocking as they are. It happens up and down the length of the UK. Police forces appear to be making slightly more of an effort to get these things right in the past couple of years, but I believe it's still commonplace for people in the grip of a mental health crisis to be thrown in a cell and forgotten about. 

I do have a degree of sympathy for the police, because it's so obviously requires handling in a completely different manner from huckling pished folk/petty criminals, and requires different skills, knowledge, and facilities. It's not easy even for MHAS, and I'm still unconvinced that the Police should be having to involve themselves in this at all, but I don't have any answers either.

FWIW, I know for a fact that this stuff about police stations supposedly having a duty doctor on hand to deal with this 24/7 is complete fantasy.