Your textbook Premiership

Just now, Steve McQueen said:

City clubs like St Johnstone & Inverness CT should be excluded from your town pish!

Never mentioned ICT to be fair but clearly have made an error with St Johnstone.

You guys should use that as a marketing ploy to sell season tickets:

”A club so shite, you would assume they were from a town”

Maybe needs a bit of work.

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

”A club so shite, you would assume they were from a town”

Maybe needs a bit of work.

To be fair, it's not the only thing you've written which needs work you slavering moron. Look at this utter fucking gibberish:

5 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Further evidence of Kilmarnock’s superiority.

We are 100% the best non-city club in the country. Nobody can really deny that.

Followed, within a sentence, by:

Motherwell running us a very close second (and based on time spent in the top flight/being current employers of S(G)OD could be argued to be ahead of us).

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Yes indeed. Nobody said we had to base this off anything logical. I think I just got taken to more east coast games as a kid so that's where my affections lie.

"Your Fantasy Premiership" for this pish etc etc.

21 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I thought folk including Falkirk and Dunfermline were nuts but then I noticed Raith!

Raith Rovers were mentioned by t lest one person. Surely they were last in the top flight in the 90s?

I think it's an age when you started going to the football thing. Is probably put Falkirk and Dunfermline in mine, but I was born 93 so some of my early football memories, especially of the Mowbray team which was when I first went from going to the football to loving football, involved Dunfermline or Falkirk

21 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I thought folk including Falkirk and Dunfermline were nuts but then I noticed Raith!

Raith Rovers were mentioned by t lest one person. Surely they were last in the top flight in the 90s?

I nominated Raith in place of Dunfermline in a half hearted and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to get a rise out of Dunfermline fans. 

To my mind that's a far better use of a thread like this than squabbling over the minutiae of what criteria to use. 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I nominated Raith in place of Dunfermline in a half hearted and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to get a rise out of Dunfermline fans. 

To my mind that's a far better use of a thread like this than squabbling over the minutiae of what criteria to use. 

fair enough, it is I suppose.

I’m sure someone with more free time than me could work out a system to rank teams based on the number of seasons in the top flight, potentially weighted by the modern era.

Something like, being in the very first top flight gets a team 1 point, season 2 is 1.01, season 3 is 1.02 etc. Either stop at a maximum of 2 around 1990 or keep it going up to 2.3.

On 25/09/2020 at 20:48, dregs 83 said:

It’s pretty common practise amongst Scottish pundits and punters to describe clubs as ‘premiership’ sides, regardless of whether or not they occupy a place in the top division. Similarly, many teams seem to be perceived as ‘lesser’ despite having established themselves in the premiership for a number of years.

I’m no different and totally guilty of being influenced by my own biases and preconceptions, and wonder how much my own idea differs to everyone else’s.

So put simply, in a totally non scientific manner, who do you perceive as the 12 most ‘premiership‘ teams in Scotland in order of Premiership-ness. I’d go for,

1.Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6.Dundee United 

7. Motherwell 

8. St Mirren 

9. Dundee

10. Killie

11. Dunfermline

12. Falkirk

What would you change?

I don't agree with the order but would agree with the 12 teams listed there.

26 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

I’m sure someone with more free time than me could work out a system to rank teams based on the number of seasons in the top flight, potentially weighted by the modern era.

Something like, being in the very first top flight gets a team 1 point, season 2 is 1.01, season 3 is 1.02 etc. Either stop at a maximum of 2 around 1990 or keep it going up to 2.3.

why not just a point for each season?

Simple and would surely get the same result.

why not just a point for each season?
Simple and would surely get the same result.

1 point per season is fine but more likely to give a strange result, like Queen’s Park or third Lanark being higher than ICT or Ross County. As much as those clubs were good once upon a time, I’m not sure anyone would say they should be anywhere near the top.

1 hour ago, stu2910 said:

St. Mirren would be in the top 10 as we were a founder member of the league back in 1890 and have spent 24 seasons outwith the top league since then.

I’m not gonna put them in anything other than alphabetical order, but these are the 12 most ‘Premiership’ teams in my mind and the league lay-out which would fill me with most nostalgia.

Aberdeen
Celtic
Dundee
Dundee United
Dunfermline Athletic
Heart of Midlothian
Hibernian
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
Partick Thistle
Rangers
St. Johnstone

18 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Might do this if I ever have a free year or two

18 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I’m not gonna put them in anything other than alphabetical order, but these are the 12 most ‘Premiership’ teams in my mind and the league lay-out which would fill me with most nostalgia.

Aberdeen
Celtic
Dundee
Dundee United
Dunfermline Athletic
Heart of Midlothian
Hibernian
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
Partick Thistle
Rangers
St. Johnstone

Order seems fine to me, well done.

I got properly into football and started attending games about 20 years ago so my list is simply based on who I feel we've played most in that time.

Listed alphabetically to avoid controversy -

Aberdeen
Celtic
Dundee
Dundee United
Hearts
Hibs
Inverness
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
Rangers
St. Johnstone
St. Mirren

10-15 years ago I'd have probably swapped out both Saints for Livi and Dunfermline.