Your textbook Premiership

Just now, gogsy said:

Looks like you finished them off then. 

Hmmm, I never looked at it that way before...

(I also saw Gretna in their first ever season in the Scottish League - at Borough Btiggs - and 6 years later they were gone. Spooky, or what?)

35 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

This, from David F. Ross's "Everygame" history book concerning that day at Palmerston:

It can't be often that a team needing to score a daft amount of goals to stay up get remotely close to doing so, yet still go down. Thank God for Bobby Fleeting and Tommy Burns...

I always forget the injury-time penalty part, but that was an entertaining afternoon watching the vidiprinter as a wee boy  :P

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I always forget the injury-time penalty part, but that was an entertaining afternoon watching the vidiprinter as a wee boy  :P

Thankfully I wasn't born then so I can't relate - my only memories watching Killie have been Premier Division, SPL and now Premiership. I've heard stories of blue and white scarves discarded all along the A76 back to Killie after that game. 

2 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Thankfully I wasn't born then so I can't relate - my only memories watching Killie have been Premier Division, SPL and now Premiership. I've heard stories of blue and white scarves discarded all along the A76 back to Killie after that game. 

Looks like the damage was done long before the last day of the season. They were even put out of the Scottish Cup by QoS, who only won two other games all season.

Everyone needs the fallow periods in order to appreciate winning cups  :P

3 hours ago, bennett said:

Doesn't compare to getting skelped from a bunch of taffs.

The impact of which was getting knocked out of Europe. 

The impact of your club dying was your trophyless new club  spending 4 years in the wilderness and your rivals racking up 9 in a row and going for 10. 

So, you're right, it would be ridiculous to compare the two. 

7 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Funnily enough I lived in Dumfries then. I was at Somerset that day, I think we lost to Airdrie but we were already safe. My dad and i were in the car park when the news came over the radio about the penalty! Scenes. I will admit to swirling my Ayr scarf out the car window on the way back down the road at the buses, doubt anybody would notice mind you! Didn't see any blue and white roadkill though.

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Looks like the damage was done long before the last day of the season. They were even put out of the Scottish Cup by QoS, who only won two other games all season.

Everyone needs the fallow periods in order to appreciate winning cups  :P

I was at that Cup game too. My old man was a journalist and was covering  the game for  the D&G Standard.  Scenes at the seggy fence.

Edited by paulbrucerick

It’s pretty common practise amongst Scottish pundits and punters to describe clubs as ‘premiership’ sides, regardless of whether or not they occupy a place in the top division. Similarly, many teams seem to be perceived as ‘lesser’ despite having established themselves in the premiership for a number of years.

I’m no different and totally guilty of being influenced by my own biases and preconceptions, and wonder how much my own idea differs to everyone else’s.

So put simply, in a totally non scientific manner, who do you perceive as the 12 most ‘premiership‘ teams in Scotland in order of Premiership-ness. I’d go for,

1.Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6.Dundee United 

7. Motherwell 

8. St Mirren 

9. Dundee

10. Killie

11. Dunfermline

12. Falkirk

What would you change?

Looks perfect to me. And hopefully at the end of this season we will be a bit closer to that.

IMG_7279.thumb.jpg.4ff936e922654835c5ccdef78f5f5d86.jpg

Could be getting rid of some diddy shoite.

On 26/09/2020 at 12:52, Ralstonite said:

In my opinion one has to differentiate between a 'club' and a 'team'. The latter consists of players who at that time represent the former, i.e. they are employees of the club. The club itself is better defined by its stadium, support and resources as these are typically more permanent, i.e. fixed assets. I always thought it was stupid to pump money into Gretna, because there wasn't the catchment area to sustain a big club. Obviously a club's prestige also depends on their accomplishments, the number of trophies they have won. However, I'd argue a club's history does not make it a big club - Queens Park have a prestigious history, being the fourth most successful club in terms of Scottish Cup victories, but I wouldn't describe them as a big club, even when they owned a 50,000 seat stadium. I suppose therefore, it is the support that is the biggest factor in defining the size of a club. The club's stadium, resources and current team being secondary, though of course one needs a big stadium t accommodate a big fan base. 

There are two giant clubs in Scotland: 

Celtic (the bigger of the two, IMHO - bigger stadium and international following)

Rangers

There are four big clubs:

Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd

Then there about half a dozen which can pull around 3,000-6,000:

Dundee, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Partick Thistle and St. Mirren.

Of these Motherwell has been the most successful in recent years, followed by Kilmarnock and the Saints.

St. Johnstone have punched above their weight for years, but they are one of the lesser clubs, like Inverness CT, Raith Rovers and Ross County.

Tbf, all that list tells us is Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd are shit compared to Motherwell and Kilmarnock as they spend more money - and in some, a lot more to be on the same level.  

On 26/09/2020 at 22:26, Munoz said:

If you discount Queens Park from the trophy winning chart, I think the top ten is pretty much the mainstays. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_Scotland_by_major_honours_won

Further evidence of Kilmarnock’s superiority.

We are 100% the best non-city club in the country. Nobody can really deny that.  Motherwell running us a very close second (and based on time spent in the top flight/being current employers of S(G)OD could be argued to be ahead of us).

After that there is a huge gap to the also rans of the two Saints and the Falkirk/Dunfermline/Raith Rovers Triangle of shite.

When you move onto the part time clubs like Ayr, East Fife, Clyde and Morten you can only really laugh.

City clubs like St Johnstone & Inverness CT should be excluded from your town pish!

Further evidence of Kilmarnock’s superiority.
We are 100% the best non-city club in the country. Nobody can really deny that.  Motherwell running us a very close second (and based on time spent in the top flight/being current employers of S(G)OD could be argued to be ahead of us).
After that there is a huge gap to the also rans of the two Saints and the Falkirk/Dunfermline/Raith Rovers Triangle of shite.
When you move onto the part time clubs like Ayr, East Fife, Clyde and Morten you can only really laugh.