Your textbook Premiership

I started going to football in the early 1960s when there were 18 teams in the top flight, the "big twelve" would have been - Rangers, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Celtic, Dundee, Aberdeen, Dunfermline, Hibs, Motherwell, Partick Thistle and two from Dundee United/Clyde/St Johnstone/St Mirren/Falkirk/Airdrie. *

* I've probably made a glaring omission from that list.

Edited by Jacksgranda

14 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Get Berwick tae f**k and stick elgin in and you’ve got it.

League below with shite like Forres and Lossie could be the Red Phdding League.

Big team found...

ETA: And again @Henderson to deliver ..... Still Game GIF - StillGame Sitcom Comedy GIFs

Edited by Jacksgranda

Absolutely seething at how far down some of these lists Killie are. Heads gone. 

There are two clubs who have never finished in the bottom spots / been relegated in the past 25+ years - Celtic and Kilmarnock. 

Every other club has been down, with the exception of Motherwell and Aberdeen, who we all know should have been papped out. 

Kilmarnock: the absolute definition of a  mainstay, box office, Premiership side. 

1 minute ago, deadasdillinger said:

There are two clubs who have never finished in the bottom spots / been relegated in the past 25+ years - Celtic and Kilmarnock. 

Every other club has been down, with the exception of Motherwell and Aberdeen, who we all know should have been papped out

Kilmarnock: the absolute definition of a  mainstay, box office, Premiership side. 

"I can't stand innuendo. If I see one in a script I whip it out immediately." - Kenneth Williams.

The teams that haven't been mentioned like Airdrie & Morton are interesting. 30-40 years ago they'd be at least in contention.

Scotland have played in 4 major tournaments since Morton played a top flight game!

Stirling must be the place that punches most below their weight.
I've always argued that the definition of the countries 'biggest' clubs - apart from the usual factors - is the lifetime of the person who is defining it.

Therefore, to me, Airdrie and Morton are inconsequential football clubs that for the vast majority of my time we have been better than.

The same could apply to Falkirk, Dunfermline and probably Dundee. Though they aren't quite as inconsequential as Airdrie and Morton, right enough.

There's a debate to be had where Saints stand alongside clubs like Motherwell and Killie since I started going in the late 80's but this idea that Partick, Falkirk, Dunfermline and the like are bigger than Saints is frankly bullshit.

I think United are in a category of their own.
Definitely a smaller club than Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen but definitely bigger than the likes of Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee.
I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
That's true, probably long-ish term and in my lifetime.

They sit near enough on their own I would say.

The real TB4 in all it's glory; 1989-90 season in the third tier of Scottish football.  Runners up to Brechin City, level with Stirling Albion:-

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Promotion or relegation
1 Brechin City 39 19 11 9 59 44 +15 49 Promotion to the 1990–91 First Division
2 Kilmarnock 39 21 5 13 67 41 +26 47
3 Stirling Albion 39 20 7 12 73 50 +23 47  
4 Stenhousemuir 39 18 9

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Didn't killie have a spell playing in the third tier in the late 80's/ early 90's?

They needed to beat distant-bottom QoS by seven goals on the last day of the 1988/89 season to stay up.

They won 6-0.

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

They needed to beat distant-bottom QoS by seven goals on the last day of the 1988/89 season to stay up.

They won 6-0.

This, from David F. Ross's "Everygame" history book concerning that day at Palmerston:

Killie were second bottom and seemingly destined to join [Queen of the South] in the second division. They were level on points with Clyde but worse off on goal difference. If Clyde won - whatever the margin - Killie would need to win by five more goals to go above them.

...the final whistle sounded and jubilant Kilmarnock supporters invaded the pitch. They danced, sang, and cheered the team off the park. As things stood Killie were level on both points and goal difference with Clyde but Killie had scored more goals. So the supporters thought. But Clyde's game against St. Johnstone wasn't over. An amazing seven minutes of injury time had elapsed when they were awarded a penalty. They scored. Now it was Clyde who were a goal to the good and Killie were down.

It can't be often that a team needing to score a daft amount of goals to stay up get remotely close to doing so, yet still go down. Thank God for Bobby Fleeting and Tommy Burns...

I started going to football in the early 1960s when there were 18 teams in the top flight, the "big twelve" would have been - Rangers, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Celtic, Dundee, Aberdeen, Dunfermline, Hibs, Motherwell, Partick Thistle and two from Dundee United/Clyde/St Johnstone/St Mirren/Falkirk/Airdrie. *
* I've probably made a glaring omission from that list.

Did the Hi-Hi not finish 3rd in the top flight in the early 60s.

In terms of settling this, there's a few options that I can see. One is to follow Craig's list of who's spent the longest in the top flight since you've been watching football, another similar way would be to take a tally of points gained in the top flight since you've been watching. I pretty much agree with Craig's list, but there's also an argument for another list, who you actually want to see in the top flight. Anyway, if I went into a coma and woke up five years later then woke up and was asked who I thought would be in the top flight I'd say:

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen

Hibs

Hearts

Killie

Motherwell

Dundee United

Ross County

St. Mirren

ICT

Livingston

...so, basically not far off what we have now. Obviously a lot can change, but anyone who says they expect Falkirk to be in the top flight is a bit odd to say the least. 

13 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Did the Hi-Hi not finish 3rd in the top flight in the early 60s.

Yes, but that was (slightly) before my time. They finished 16th and 18th in my first two seasons of spectating and two seasons later they were gone.

3 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Every other club has been down, with the exception of Motherwell and Aberdeen, who we all know should have been papped out. 

Got humped by a bunch of taffs.