Your textbook Premiership

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I think United are in a category of their own.

Definitely a smaller club than Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen but definitely bigger than the likes of Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

cat no GIF by Looney Tunes

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed, as proven by the very existence of threads such as this.

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I used to think it was only out of touch journalists who hankered for closed shop leagues based on the 'size' of clubs.

Having posting on this website for a number of years I now realise a lot of fans want exactly that also.

Baffling, and more than a little disappointing.

Calm your tits, the pair of you. I think this is more of a "if you were in a coma, who do you think would be most likely to be in the Premiership when you woke up" thing, rather than a "which clubs deserve to take the place of diddies like Hamilton" situation. For what it's worth, clubs like Hamilton in the top flight should be a source of pride in our league IMO.

Queens can get fucked, however.

54 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Calm your tits, the pair of you. I think this is more of a "if you were in a coma, who do you think would be most likely to be in the Premiership when you woke up" thing, rather than a "which clubs deserve to take the place of diddies like Hamilton" situation. For what it's worth, clubs like Hamilton in the top flight should be a source of pride in our league IMO.

Queens can get fucked, however.

It would have to be a nice lengthy coma to allow four clubs currently outside the top flight (one of them two divisions away) to get there.

I didn't mention Queens, so no idea why you did.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

From 1960/1 to 1974/5 St Johnstone finished above Dundee United twice. In that time span St Johnstone finished in the top twelve in 1968/9 6th, 1969/70 3rd  1971-2 8th 1972-3 11th 1973/4 12th and 1974/5 9th

If you want to go down the line of picking selective dates, Saints have finished higher for the past 6 seasons in a row.

Or you can go back to 1911-12, when the teams first played in the same division, and from then upto the start of the premier league in 1975, St Johnstone finished higher 28 times to Utd's 23.  From then on, Utd had the best period in their history whilst Saints had arguably their worst, and Utd finished higher for 25 seasons on the bounce. 

In terms of all-time head to head record in league matches, Dundee United 56 wins  Saints 54 wins, thirty odd draws.

I'm not sure what the point of all this is, other than to say outwith an excellent period in the late 1970's and 1980's, Dundee United have not been any more relevant in Scottish football than most of the other average sized clubs such as Motherwell, Falkirk, Killie, Dunfermline, St Mirren, Dundee etc, and arguably less so than some of those.

1 minute ago, gogsy said:

Didn't you pick the selective dates of the period just before the Premier division started?

Do you want to have a look at Dunfemlines history pre 1960 and 75-90 and most of the 2000's, lower level mediocrity describes it pretty well.

I was making the point that up until around the Jim McLean era, Utd had made no impact on Scottish football at all, even less than St Johnstone at the time, which was also minimal.

So you are saying Dunfermline are similar to Utd in terms of mostly fairly average/ mediocre, with an exceptional spell and a couple of 'decent' spells? ... If so, I wouldn't argue with that.

11 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Well that's utter nonsense for a start, Jerry Kerrs record at the club was pretty decent as well.  As for Dunfermline their decent spell in the last 50  years (1970-1  season to 2019/20 season) would be a grand total of three seasons (2001-2 to 2003/4 ) at the top end of the top division and 1996/7 season as well. 

Okay kerr established United as a top 18 team in Scotland. He got them promoted after 21 (TWENTY ONE) consecutive seasons outwith the 18 team top division.  

Dunfermline's decent spell was the 1960's was it not? They also played in 3 cup finals between 2004-2007, which is not bad for anyone outwith the OF.

43 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

As humorous as it is, I'm amazed some people don't think of Killie as a top flight team!

I think they are just easily forgettable.

I was trying yesterday to remember who beat United 4-0 before Sevco and I couldn't put my finger on who it was until I read this thread.