Your textbook Premiership

It’s pretty common practise amongst Scottish pundits and punters to describe clubs as ‘premiership’ sides, regardless of whether or not they occupy a place in the top division. Similarly, many teams seem to be perceived as ‘lesser’ despite having established themselves in the premiership for a number of years.

I’m no different and totally guilty of being influenced by my own biases and preconceptions, and wonder how much my own idea differs to everyone else’s.

So put simply, in a totally non scientific manner, who do you perceive as the 12 most ‘premiership‘ teams in Scotland in order of Premiership-ness. I’d go for,

1.Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6.Dundee United 

7. Motherwell 

8. St Mirren 

9. Dundee

10. Killie

11. Dunfermline

12. Falkirk

What would you change?

6 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I think @dregs 83 list of 12 is spot on, maybe in a slightly different order. I'd swap St Mirren and Falkirk around.

Have these sides ever been in a 12 team top division at the same time? If not, which season was the closest to having all of these clubs? 

Yes. From 06 to '10.

I first started going to football in the mid 2000s so mine probably skews a lot more to the recent past than others.

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6. Dundee United

7. Motherwell

8. St Johnstone

9. Dundee

10. Hamilton

11. St Mirren

12. Inverness

This isn't my dream league or anything but based on the teams I'm used to seeing Motherwells play most seasons it's what I see as a typical Premiership season.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I think @dregs 83 list of 12 is spot on, maybe in a slightly different order. I'd swap St Mirren and Falkirk around.

Have these sides ever been in a 12 team top division at the same time? If not, which season was the closest to having all of these clubs? 

I think you'll have to look quite far back because of Falkirk and Dundee. Their occasional and brief escapes from the seaside leagues don't seem to coincide very often.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think you'll have to look quite far back because of Falkirk and Dundee. Their occasional and brief escapes from the seaside leagues don't seem to coincide very often.

Yeah it's too much work for me. I'll let one of the stattos do that particular piece of historical research.

50 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We're seaside bound for only the second season since 1980.

Dundee have never been this low.

STOP GETTING SEASIDE LEAGUE WRONG. 

2 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

It’s pretty common practise amongst Scottish pundits and punters to describe clubs as ‘premiership’ sides, regardless of whether or not they occupy a place in the top division. Similarly, many teams seem to be perceived as ‘lesser’ despite having established themselves in the premiership for a number of years.

I’m no different and totally guilty of being influenced by my own biases and preconceptions, and wonder how much my own idea differs to everyone else’s.

So put simply, in a totally non scientific manner, who do you perceive as the 12 most ‘premiership‘ teams in Scotland in order of Premiership-ness. I’d go for,

1.Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6.Dundee United 

7. Motherwell 

8. St Mirren 

9. Dundee

10. Killie

11. Dunfermline

12. Falkirk

What would you change?

Dunfermline for Raith

The closest I can find to the OP's 12 was 2006-07. The table finished as follows:

Celtic
Rangers
Aberdeen
Heart of Midlothian
Kilmarnock
Hibernian
Falkirk

Inverness CT
Dundee United
Motherwell
St Mirren
Dunfermline

It's just Dundee missing. *giggles*

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

We're seaside bound for only the second season since 1980.

Dundee have never been this low.

STOP GETTING SEASIDE LEAGUE WRONG. 

:lol: fair point. 

Arbroath, Morton, Ayr, Inverness and Raith though! It's the Seasidiest league in the country. 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I first started going to football in the mid 2000s so mine probably skews a lot more to the recent past than others.

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibs

6. Dundee United

7. Motherwell

8. St Johnstone

9. Dundee

10. Hamilton

11. St Mirren

12. Inverness

This isn't my dream league or anything but based on the teams I'm used to seeing Motherwells play most seasons it's what I see as a typical Premiership season.

No Kilmarnock no?