Motherwell v Rangers

3 minutes ago, the west curve said:

Refs should be held to account. Two dodgy penalties to Rangers and a stonewall pen to Motherwell refused,  Every season since Rangers first came up to the Premiership they have had the most penalties. 

Describing Rangers’ 2 penalties as dodgy is a bit of an exaggeration, 100% you’d want them for your team. The first was an absolute stonewaller, the second was a bit softer but he elbowed the ball clear with his arm up at shoulder height. 

38 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Something is clearly very wrong though if mistakes like the second goal today have been par for the course this season. While he was always a better centre back than left back and obviously he's up against a far higher calibre of opposition than when I was watching him regularly, making such a basic positional error was like watching him as an out of position 21 year old he didn't have a clue what he was doing again. There's the obvious explanation that his limitations are just being exposed in the Premiership in a way they weren't at a lower level, but he obviously can't have been this bad for Livingston either or he wouldn't have been playing regularly as they were finishing in top six.

The gist is that we brought in Lamie as someone who's got a decent amount of experience and his versatile so he offers a bit of cover in a couple of positions. Which is fine in principle.

We've been unlucky with injuries this season - McGinley and Donnelly were both injured after the opening game (Donnelly is out til the New Year) and Jake Carroll's still injured after popping his Achilles shortly before the season shut down.

Upshot is that we've been re-jigging our defence on an almost weekly basis and from that POV Lamie's been playing week in week out and the more he's playing the more mistakes he seems to be making.

I'm loathe to pile on but this is a fairly accurate summary of Ricki Lamie's season so far in GIF form:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I didn't want to pile in on Lamie immediately. It maybe made a bit of sense to have a body about to chuck in for emergency situations only. We're now stuck with him for the foreseeable.

What we have learned is that he is absolutely nowhere near good enough for this level. Regularly costing us goals. As @capt_oats showed in gif form, if St Johnstone could finish they would have comfortably beaten us.

Give it another month and I'm putting him in my worst Motherwell team of all time.

Edited by well fan for life

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Lamie was consistently good in the Championship for years at both centre back and left back, to the point that getting a move was no surprise.

Something is clearly very wrong though if mistakes like the second goal today have been par for the course this season. While he was always a better centre back than left back and obviously he's up against a far higher calibre of opposition than when I was watching him regularly, making such a basic positional error was like watching him as an out of position 21 year old he didn't have a clue what he was doing again. There's the obvious explanation that his limitations are just being exposed in the Premiership in a way they weren't at a lower level, but he obviously can't have been this bad for Livingston either or he wouldn't have been playing regularly as they were finishing in top six.

Wasn't terrible for us, had no chance getting in as a regular CB with the success Halkett, Gallagher & Lithgow back three had at Livi, but was a utility CB when needed to cover injuries & suspensions, and mostly played at LB/LWB. You could see he was better at CB whenever he played there though. We did tell the Well fans that Aaron Taylor Sinclair was ahead of him as a LB though.

41 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think what we've learned is that there is a dreadful bias towards Hamilton Academical Football Club. Disgraceful from the SFA #DoncasterOut #corrupt #itsaconspiracy

I think the presence of Dougie Imrie, both on the pitch and the coaching staff, may have had some bearing on those stats. 😉

We simply don't have the ability in our first XI, never mind our squad, to cope with playing Rangers 60-odd hours after a European game in Israel. The players looked fucked and it reminded me of the 2-5 game against Celtic in the early part of last season. 

As for the penalty awards, I don't have an issue with either of the ones Rangers got. The rule itself is a nonsense one though. Unless we can train players to run around and change direction, without moving their arms from their sides, what can Mugabi really do for the first? Arfield ducks out the way of the ball so he has no time to react and the ball comes off his arm. It's not deliberate. It baffles me that they've put a rule in place which determines something like that a penalty. I'll be interested to see the reaction of the average Rangers fan on Twitter if a decision like that goes against them later in the season and causes them to lose a point or two. 

For the Grimshaw one, that's a penalty all day long for me. For all of Mugabi's was at him from a yard away with no time to react, Grimshaw saw the ball coming from a corner. It's just poor body positioning. 

Anyway, it was a horrendous game to watch and as much as it's shite to lose by a heavy margin to one of those two, these games won't define our season. 

Fingers crossed we get a better result on Friday and we never see Ricki Lamie in a Motherwell shirt again. 🤞