When Supermarkets Go Bad

Scary Bear

Has The recipe of your supermarket staple buy been changed? Are you mildly disappointed? Momentarily, slightly annoyed? Report it here.

Aldi - Breakfast Cereals

Recently I decided to engage with Aldi over the atrocity that is their bran flakes. According to my wife, Aldi’s supplier must have changed the quality and it was now like eating cardboard. Tasteless and inedible. Most would say, “that’s just bran flakes”. Most would say, “just chuck them in the bin and put it down to experience”, but this was the second box in the bin so I decided to engage with Aldi and complain. I hunted out the box from the recycling bin and photographed the batch code. I hunted the receipt out a shopping bag. I told them they had declined in quality and were inedible. They offered me the 89p back (yes, I know, this could be a clue) if I took the box and receipt back. I told them they seemed to be missing the point and could they pass this feedback onto their buyers.

Today, it’s the muesli. It started off like Alpen and has now turned into something that looks and tastes like rice crispies and coco pops that have been left to rot outside for a few months, then mixed with some of those broken up shitty bran flakes.

I may have to return to Sainsbury’s for breakfast cereals at this rate.

Let people know which of your regular food shop items have been ruined in the name of capitalism.

Agree.

Used to buy the Aldi low-sugar Muesli, it's definitely changed, and not for the better. Their Wheat Bisks are still good though, nicer than Weetabix.

Aldi used to do an excellent Goa Curry Kit, you could taste the tamarind in it, and was really nice used with prawns or chicken. When it disappeared I e-mailed Aldi & they just said "sorry but it's discontinued", despite it being sold out most weeks. I'm not going to lie, I still bear a grudge over that crazy decision by Aldi.

C***s 

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has The recipe of your supermarket staple buy been changed? Are you mildly disappointed? Momentarily, slightly annoyed? Report it here.

Aldi - Breakfast Cereals

Recently I decided to engage with Aldi over the atrocity that is their bran flakes. According to my wife, Aldi’s supplier must have changed the quality and it was now like eating cardboard. Tasteless and inedible. Most would say, “that’s just bran flakes”. Most would say, “just chuck them in the bin and put it down to experience”, but this was the second box in the bin so I decided to engage with Aldi and complain. I hunted out the box from the recycling bin and photographed the batch code. I hunted the receipt out a shopping bag. I told them they had declined in quality and were inedible. They offered me the 89p back (yes, I know, this could be a clue) if I took the box and receipt back. I told them they seemed to be missing the point and could they pass this feedback onto their buyers.

Today, it’s the muesli. It started off like Alpen and has now turned into something that looks and tastes like rice crispies and coco pops that have been left to rot outside for a few months, then mixed with some of those broken up shitty bran flakes.imageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729aimageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729a

I may have to return to Sainsbury’s for breakfast cereals at this rate.

Let people know which of your regular food shop items have been ruined in the name of capitalism.

"reach out to" is the preferred term nowadays.

ETA: I've always found Tesco own brand Fruit n' Fibre perfectly adequate anytime I've bought it, although it is a wee while since I've done so.

Edited by Jacksgranda

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"reach out to" is the preferred term nowadays.

ETA: I've always found Tesco own brand Fruit n' Fibre perfectly adequate anytime I've bought it, although it is a wee while since I've done so.

I thought "reach around" was always the preferred term? :whistle

7 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Lidl-Aldi >>> All other supermarkets based solely on just these sausages:

9AC38A54-E731-43C0-8048-66EA7C148B37.jpeg

CF25DBDE-753B-4AF0-96A3-5C07CF02882F.jpeg

Bottom ones look a bit shit. Other than BBQ them, how else have you cooked them? I'm intrigued by the top ones, mostly because they sound like the c***s that come over here and absolutely wrecked Dundee and all its denizens.