The Mercury Prize 2020

Jimi Shandrix

Christ, this has thrown up some drivel over the years but it has really outdone itself this year. Thankfully, in the first Covid bonus, it has been relegated to The One Show which seems perfectly apt. Some horrendous nominations. The dreadful Dua Lipa with her New Look and Top Shop soundtrack. Charlie XCX who makes Dua Lipa comparable to Kate Bush. Literally a pair of tits and nothing else. Sports Team, who seem all for bringing back the indie landfill years. Embarrassingly bad. Porridge Radio are just so beige that I can't think of anything to say about them.  Ditto Lanterns On The Lake. Standard nominations for Laura Marling and Stormzy. Anna Meredith is the most interesting musician on the list but I'm damning her with faint praise. Radio 2 favourite Michael Kiwanuka will probably win. Maybe this should be the year of the token jazz act.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Christ, this has thrown up some drivel over the years but it has really outdone itself this year. Thankfully, in the first Covid bonus, it has been relegated to The One Show which seems perfectly apt. Some horrendous nominations. The dreadful Dua Lipa with her New Look and Top Shop soundtrack. Charlie XCX who makes Dua Lipa comparable to Kate Bush. Literally a pair of tits and nothing else. Sports Team, who seem all for bringing back the indie landfill years. Embarrassingly bad. Porridge Radio are just so beige that I can't think of anything to say about them.  Ditto Lanterns On The Lake. Standard nominations for Laura Marling and Stormzy. Anna Meredith is the most interesting musician on the list but I'm damning her with faint praise. Radio 2 favourite Michael Kiwanuka will probably win. Maybe this should be the year of the token jazz act.

Sports Team got a few murmurings of credit among my Austin pals when I was last there.  I thought they were unlistenable.  Like Pulp without any of the nuance or charm.

I’ve somewhat tolerated what I’ve heard of Laura Marling, so I vote for her.  

Edited by Savage Henry