Dunbar United Season 20/21

4 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Really enjoyable day in Dunbar yesterday, very welcoming in the town beforehand and New Countess  is a nice tidy ground. 

Despite trailing, thought Dunbar were the better team in the first half and couldn’t have complained if the game had gone to extra time in the end, although felt Dunbar definitely benefited from a couple of interesting refereeing decisions. 

Also, one of the best steak pies I’ve ever had at the football!

Those pies 😅😅😅😅 that’s way to the oppositions heart. 

On 26/11/2023 at 13:46, The Faceman said:

Not bitter at all, just hope the club are the ones making the money from their success 

On 24/11/2023 at 09:57, The Faceman said:

It is a great day for everyone who has been or is at the club.

I just wish the club weren't tied to a facility that really doesn't know what its purpose is.

It says sports centre on the door, yet...

- Charges astronomical amounts of money for the clubs to use it

- provides in my view substandard surface to play on

- any improvements the club make only increase the value for the facility paid for by the club.

- those running the facility seem more bothered about selling alcohol, lottery tickets, food than giving anything back to the users.

- they can't even do the basics of that right, with massive queues and plastic cups with the minimum of staff.

He can claim poverty but the football club alone has brought in hundreds of thousands of pounds to the place, a closer look at what that money is used for should be taken up. The football club itself should ask with all the big home games they have been drawn over the years how much money other than gate have they made?

Anyway, good luck to the football club hope they do themselves proud.

The faceman. You don’t know your a**e from your elbow. 

monster much heed

On 26/11/2023 at 12:40, The Faceman said:

Morning, 

1st on the football team disappointed for them, some good people on and off the field, judging by the reports they did themselves proud as expected. 

Money: any amount of money paid by the club to the facility is too much. I am sure we will get the full amount in the clubs accounts. 

I would point out in the last 2 years alone using the clubs own attendance figures the football team bring in between 5-7,000 people per year. The club work extremely hard to promote their games and are really only using the facility 10 hours a week. I don't think that the primary sports team (yeah better than the rugby) should be charged for using the facility and in fact should be getting a cut of the weekend takings.

However, if you are telling me the facility paid for the new flood lights, new fences, new signs etc and getting a cut of the bar then fair enough. If its the club doing all the donkey work applying for grants and fund raising, volunteering etc then they really shouldn't be paying the facility anything.

It would be interesting to see the original agreement on what the football club were offered when they left the old ground, but I doubt the facility manager will post that on the 'sports centres' Facebook page.

Regarding the pitch, yeah harsh calling it substandard but I did say in my view. 

In fact maybe a bit of praise required for the miracle of getting yesterdays game on despite the pitch not being playable the week before and the overnight temperatures being 5c lower on Friday night. 

Sadly I didn't make it down, the bus takes ages and car parking is difficult on busy match days, with last week's game at the ground being called off I wasn't sure this would be on. 

To be clear, this wasn't a dig at the football club. I said it when I was there and I will say it again, they should be looking to go their own way and benefit from the success they have had over the years. They are in danger of being left behind. 

I understand the facility didn't take too well to the last post which was based on my last visit where the staff were over worked despite the game being scheduled well in advance.

I would question the aims of this sports centre. If it is to indeed get Dunbar fit, maybe alcohol and Sunday roasts are counter productive.

If its a pub you want to run then hand the clubs the pitches let them build their own ground.

Incidentally instead of trolling through pie and bovril which works perfectly fine, maybe show off your Internet skills by sorting the facility website which has been down for a very long time. Maybe people are trying to book into the centre and bring other money in

Kind Regards Ryan 

To be honest your insignificant comments mean absolutely nothing to me. I only had a look because I was told about them. The club have been very supportive and I have been overwhelmed by the messages of support since I posted your comments.

While I am under no illusion that we are squeaky clean and get everything right the one thing I can say is we will always try and achieve the highest standard of service possible both on and off the pitches.

I have been manger at the facility for nineteen years so I won’t be listening to a man who lasted two minutes at the club.

Will finish with the fact you got one thing right and that’s the fact our web page is a shambles and we need to get that addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Some character from the players on Saturday. Coming from 2 behind away from home in the Premier League is hard enough with 11. But to do it with 10 for the majority of the second half shows guts! A real togetherness amongst that squad. That is instilled by the coaching staff and must be applauded.

Onto HoB on Saturday. Not sure if both Barfoot and Hendry are suspended but, if they are, hopefully the boys who came on against Tynecastle have shown they are more than capable of deputising. 

3 hours ago, #DUFC said:

Some character from the players on Saturday. Coming from 2 behind away from home in the Premier League is hard enough with 11. But to do it with 10 for the majority of the second half shows guts! A real togetherness amongst that squad. That is instilled by the coaching staff and must be applauded.

Onto HoB on Saturday. Not sure if both Barfoot and Hendry are suspended but, if they are, hopefully the boys who came on against Tynecastle have shown they are more than capable of deputising. 

That's a statement that is hard to disagree with. What were your thoughts at halftime? Being down at 2:0 you must have hoped for a draw but it seemed everything was against the team. 

Yes, it worked out very well in the end. I struggled to get the scores - it must have been the very early kickoff. The match report is pretty positive - seems there's a marked difference in attitude since the previous visit to Meggatland - what a disaster that was.

True there's been a lot of changes in players since May 21 - I'm not sure but could it be close to 50% of the 11 who finished the game have changed since that fateful day? Dowie, Redpath, Barfoot, Gregory, Harris, Somers, Congalton, Peden, Tait, and Stewart are the ones that I'm sure are recent signings.  Obviously, there are others Whitson, Brennan, Hare, and Archibald who have also signed on since 18 months ago.

Has the the Ref. from Saturday ever been at a Dunbar match previously?

Which starting eleven would you select for the HoB match?

I don't get to very many games, but I have seen Haddington several times recently and when they play well, they can score goals. I'm sure I will get along to the game at Millfield at the end of the month - weather and work permitting, really looking forward to it after the first game between the sides in September.

Were there many fans at the game?

Hill of Beath at the weekend - that will be a well-contested 90 minutes, they need the points and are always up for it.

• 1 month later...

A game of fine margins for me. 
Cumbernauld are a well organised outfit who pounced on a Dunbar error with a great counter-attack and finish. They looked hungry from the off.

However, I thought the chances we gave away first half came from our own sloppy play.

Second half, we looked more like ourselves. Competed well and put Cumbernauld under immense pressure for the majority of the half. Just a bit of composure and killer instinct in the final third eluded the lads.

I think the game reiterated that we can compete with teams in the Lowland League. 
Not saying we are ready for the step up but on one-off games, you wouldn’t know who was in what league. 

• 4 weeks later...

A really comfortable afternoon against Inverkeithing, yesterday. 
If anything, I think Dunbar should have added another 2 or 3.

Some good performances throughout the team, which bodes well for the coming weeks. 

15 minutes ago, #DUFC said:

A really comfortable afternoon against Inverkeithing, yesterday. 
If anything, I think Dunbar should have added another 2 or 3.

Some good performances throughout the team, which bodes well for the coming weeks. 

Closest I got to a match yesterday was giving ye a toot as I passed by. :lol:

On 18/02/2024 at 12:48, newcastle broon said:

Closest I got to a match yesterday was giving ye a toot as I passed by. :lol:

the only one who did

Very impressed with my first visit to Dunbar.  You knocked the ball about well but the Swifts gave up so much space, No 6 looks a player who can certainly ping a cross field pass.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Dunipace 1:4 Dunbar United
Superb day for the club. 

The final of the EoSQC. Not bad at all. 

No mention of the second goal?

9 hours ago, patriot1 said:

The goals?

Dunipace #1 - very early typical home team goal using the local conditions wind and sun to their best advantage. 

Dunbar #1 - a thing of beauty. Pinpoint 45 yard pass against the element's, then the winger cut inside beating the defenders and unleashed an unstoppable shot. Scorer; Liam Gregory.

Dunbar #2 had controversy written allover it.  A pass back to box seen the goalie fall to ground with nobody near him, looked like his studs caught on the surface, The free ball was then knocked into the net by the on-rushing Dunbar Centre. Scorer; Taylor Hendry.

Then we had a court of session inquiry into the ‘is it’ or ‘isn’t it’ situation. The referee was obviously following the rules. The technical areas then got involved - as you’d rightly expect them to do. A very strange situation for all. 
The facts being the whistle never blew, play continued, did anyone realise the scale of the injury at that instant? If a ball falls to a centre in front of an open goal there’s only one thing ever going to happen…..

Dunbar # disallowed - a stunning first time effort taken in the air by the centre gave the replacement goalie no chance. However it was strangely disallowed. There you go, take from it what you want. 

Dunbar #3 had the Dunbar centre in the right place at the right time. Scorer; Taylor Hendry

Dunbar #4 seen a tricky move started off outside the box by Hendry then the resulting 1:2 with Bathgate seen a wonderful and final goal. Scorer ; Ben Bathgate.

Yes there was controversy. Yes it was a big match. Yes everyone played to the whistle. 

Hope the Goalie makes a recovery. The injury appeared bad.

I think it’s just one of these moments when everyone has a very different interpretation and that’s the reality.

12 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

The goals?

Dunipace #1 - very early typical home team goal using the local conditions wind and sun to their best advantage. 

Dunbar #1 - a thing of beauty. Pinpoint 45 yard pass against the element's, then the winger cut inside beating the defenders and unleashed an unstoppable shot. Scorer; Liam Gregory.

Dunbar #2 had controversy written allover it.  A pass back to box seen the goalie fall to ground with nobody near him, looked like his studs caught on the surface, The free ball was then knocked into the net by the on-rushing Dunbar Centre. Scorer; Taylor Hendry.

Then we had a court of session inquiry into the ‘is it’ or ‘isn’t it’ situation. The referee was obviously following the rules. The technical areas then got involved - as you’d rightly expect them to do. A very strange situation for all. 
The facts being the whistle never blew, play continued, did anyone realise the scale of the injury at that instant? If a ball falls to a centre in front of an open goal there’s only one thing ever going to happen…..

Dunbar # disallowed - a stunning first time effort taken in the air by the centre gave the replacement goalie no chance. However it was strangely disallowed. There you go, take from it what you want. 

Dunbar #3 had the Dunbar centre in the right place at the right time. Scorer; Taylor Hendry

Dunbar #4 seen a tricky move started off outside the box by Hendry then the resulting 1:2 with Bathgate seen a wonderful and final goal. Scorer ; Ben Bathgate.

Yes there was controversy. Yes it was a big match. Yes everyone played to the whistle. 

Hope the Goalie makes a recovery. The injury appeared bad.

I think it’s just one of these moments when everyone has a very different interpretation and that’s the reality.

He was offside

image.thumb.png.72f2c001ed0ed38389d4f2861d20d312.png

16 hours ago, patriot1 said:

Why?!

Man from the East has summarised it well following your question but no need to lead with that.

Simply celebrating yesterday’s victory in the initial post, which Dunbar were more than deserving winners.