Dunbar United Season 20/21

2 hours ago, imho said:

Seems to have slipped peoples minds that we lost ,away again. Once again 3 goals against us. There is no doubt we are a different team away from home. Our home record in the league is excellent but something changes. Same team as last week.  Its not so bad losing a cup tie,we aren't good enough to win a cup yet IMO, but the manager needs to come up with something for the Nitten game which is more important than the Gretna game although I hope we can pull of a shock. 

Don’t think it slipped anyone’s minds. 

Our away form is questionable but you are a hard punter to please.

Dunbar won comfortable the previous week. Therefore, I don’t think it came as a surprise to anyone that the manager picked the same team.

I think the team are in a good position.   Yesterday’s result was a blow but closer than the scoreline suggests, from what I’ve heard. 

1 hour ago, #DUFC said:

Don’t think it slipped anyone’s minds. 

Our away form is questionable but you are a hard punter to please.

Dunbar won comfortable the previous week. Therefore, I don’t think it came as a surprise to anyone that the manager picked the same team.

I think the team are in a good position.   Yesterday’s result was a blow but closer than the scoreline suggests, from what I’ve heard. 

Nobody questioning the same team being picked, absolutely correct to do so and If every supporter was happy ,no matter the result or performance, then we wouldn't be on here giving an opinion which is what the platform is for. I wish Dunbar the very best for the rest of the season.

On 19/11/2022 at 06:19, Casey Jones said:

👏👏👏

there are minimum of 2 persons totally spoiling the EoS pages (not just Dunbar). Another 2 main pages sadly lacking content , these days, are Musselburgh and Whitehall W. The guy(s) with names (abbreviated to SOE & G184) are main protagonists. He/they obviously get a rise out of their comments but as you state, have just made erse(s) of themselves and at same time stopped useful contributions from others. I have stopped posting for couple of months now and apart from this post, will not be doing more posts as the culprit(s) have taken away my enjoyment of this site. 

Platform 19 - Hopefully moderators see your post!

Hopefully the couple of guys with genuine interest of Musselburgh comeback to the forum as I truly miss their contributions.

Ditto ( for Musselburgh comments) - same applies to the various genuine posters of Whitehill (and Dunbar - as you correctly state in your post). 

The truth in what you say can be seen in the no. of posts on the EoS forum. Last season, the Lowland League had over 2k more posts than EoS. During same season, EoS forum actually overtook the Lowand League in the no. of posts made. Now, Lowland League posts out-number EoS’ by 5.7k.

Back to my hibernation again. Cheers, Platform 19, For your worthy post👍

I just dont get what some of these guys are about.

Nobody is trying to restict any sensible, meaniful, informative, topical, humourous or debatable input. These forums are to argue different points of view in a grown up manner, ideally with a sense of humour and non vilification.

I know that many contributors are very well informed, connected and know whats going on. Thankfully they continue to share these tit-bits in a manner thats not derogatory or condescending.

Nothing wrong with a strong dose of constructive criticism or a completely different point iof view.  But stupidity and  attention seeking are wee bit primary school level.

Hopefully we all get back to enjoying  the read and the banter sooner than later

On 23/11/2022 at 08:53, platform 19 said:

I just dont get what some of these guys are about.

Nobody is trying to restict any sensible, meaniful, informative, topical, humourous or debatable input. These forums are to argue different points of view in a grown up manner, ideally with a sense of humour and non vilification.

I know that many contributors are very well informed, connected and know whats going on. Thankfully they continue to share these tit-bits in a manner thats not derogatory or condescending.

Nothing wrong with a strong dose of constructive criticism or a completely different point iof view.  But stupidity and  attention seeking are wee bit primary school level.

Hopefully we all get back to enjoying  the read and the banter sooner than later

A great result away from home. To beat a team 2 leagues above us on their own pitch is to be applauded. Makes the long return journey not so long when you win. 

A stunning free kick from James Redpath and a penalty converted by Liam Gregory saw us go in with a two goal interval lead. Gretna came out strongly in second half and reduced leeway in 56th minute with headed goal from Russell Currie but some dogged defending saw out the rest of the game and deserved 2-1 win.

Willis Hare was immense in defence and young Aaron Congalton was back to his best after a difficult few weeks although credit to all the players who gave everything against Lowland League opponents and on a tricky 3G pitch.

Dean Whitson was unavailable and Josh Walker was cup tied but both available for next weeks table topping League match at Newtongrange.

Nice to see Shaun Miller back on the bench after an early injury against Stirling University.

18 hours ago, thesunnydunny said:

A stunning free kick from James Redpath and a penalty converted by Liam Gregory saw us go in with a two goal interval lead. Gretna came out strongly in second half and reduced leeway in 56th minute with headed goal from Russell Currie but some dogged defending saw out the rest of the game and deserved 2-1 win.

Willis Hare was immense in defence and young Aaron Congalton was back to his best after a difficult few weeks although credit to all the players who gave everything against Lowland League opponents and on a tricky 3G pitch.

Dean Whitson was unavailable and Josh Walker was cup tied but both available for next weeks table topping League match at Newtongrange.

Nice to see Shaun Miller back on the bench after an early injury against Stirling University.

A very creditable result. 

After that performance, the team selection for the Newtongrange  game will be a headache for the Big Boss. What a dilemma to have.

I wouldn't have expected a huge crowd to turnout on Saturday - what's your best guess at it?

On 27/11/2022 at 17:42, Man from the East said:

A very creditable result. 

After that performance, the team selection for the Newtongrange  game will be a headache for the Big Boss. What a dilemma to have.

I wouldn't have expected a huge crowd to turnout on Saturday - what's your best guess at it?

The manager picks his best 11 available, he should know them by now. 

5 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Would the best 11 always be the most appropriate 11?

Aren’t there many other factors to consider?

What factors to consider?. Are you saying he shouldn't put his best 11 out. Feel free to explain to us idiots as to why the manager shouldn't pick his best available team against Nitten.

Edited by imho

54 minutes ago, imho said:

What factors to consider?. Are you saying he shouldn't put his best 11 out. Feel free to explain to us idiots as to why the manager shouldn't pick his best available team against Nitten.

11 players on paper may look the strongest lineup, however, they may not all work into a certain system, formation or style of play. 

Various other factors, including, injury, holidays, sickness etc have prevented the manager from having the luxury of a full squad, week in, week out.

Therefore, coupled with the new signing, referring to your original post - he may not know his strongest 11. 

10 hours ago, #DUFC said:

11 players on paper may look the strongest lineup, however, they may not all work into a certain system, formation or style of play. 

Various other factors, including, injury, holidays, sickness etc have prevented the manager from having the luxury of a full squad, week in, week out.

Therefore, coupled with the new signing, referring to your original post - he may not know his strongest 11. 

Agreed, It’s an ever changing mix of form, availability, suspensions, opposition strength and weakness, type of/condition of surface.

Personal viewpoint is that it’s the 11 best horses for courses. 

Edited by Man from the East

10 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Agreed, It’s an ever changing mix of form, availability, suspensions, opposition strength and weakness, type of/condition of surface.

Personal viewpoint is that it’s the 11 best horses for courses. 

reads like an explanation to me

Hopefully it’s a good match at NVP on Saturday and a good turnout.

Another important game, I’d see a single point as a good result, but would prefer the win.

But between now and the end of the season every team may well drop points. 
After Saturday it’ll be 13 games played and 17 still to go. Still a long way until anything is decided.
On Saturday, I think Glenrothes will be too strong and take 3 points from Burntisland.
If that happens, Dunbar need the win and score the same as Glenrothes to stay top. 
The coming matches at NCP v Leith (early favourites) and Preston will be very significant. 
Some great games coming up. 
Here’s to a brilliant December for Kev H and the players.

Edited by Man from the East
….

On 01/12/2022 at 07:30, Man from the East said:

Hopefully it’s a good match at NVP on Saturday and a good turnout.

Another important game, I’d see a single point as a good result, but would prefer the win.

But between now and the end of the season every team may well drop points. 
After Saturday it’ll be 13 games played and 17 still to go. Still a long way until anything is decided.
On Saturday, I think Glenrothes will be too strong and take 3 points from Burntisland.
If that happens, Dunbar need the win and score the same as Glenrothes to stay top. 
The coming matches at NCP v Leith (early favourites) and Preston will be very significant. 
Some great games coming up. 
Here’s to a brilliant December for Kev H and the players.

With 12 of our 13 goals against us in the league coming in 6 away games,there is a good chance that we will concede,but how many depends on selection. We do score away from home so there should be goals . I would settle for a point but much depends if we can breach the best defensive record in the league.. Good luck to Dunbar.

On 02/12/2022 at 17:07, imho said:

With 12 of our 13 goals against us in the league coming in 6 away games,there is a good chance that we will concede,but how many depends on selection. We do score away from home so there should be goals . I would settle for a point but much depends if we can breach the best defensive record in the league.. Good luck to Dunbar.

I think todays result answered the above concerns. 
Becoming a habit taking the points at NVP

Willis Hare was suspended and Jonny Grotlin at his sisters wedding and prior to start of game both Liam Gregory and Josh Walker pulled up with injuries..

Newtongrange started well but only really brought out one great save from Sean Brennan before Cammy Dawson opened the scoring with a great header.

Darren Handling scored twice early in second half and with the hosts chasing the game there were some meaty tackles coming in before they pulled a goal back in last ten minutes after a soft looking penalty.

The whole Dunbar team played well and fully deserved their second ever win at Newtongrange in the last 51 years, Still a long way to go in this League though so not getting carried away as still a lot of twists and turns to come before anything is decided.

On 02/12/2022 at 17:07, imho said:

As has been said a great result and performance by Dunbar. Delighted for Congalton to be back in the team. Well done to the manager .

19 hours ago, imho said:

What did you think of the game though.

The Star came out and were really going for it in the opening 20 mins. But some excellent work - and again credit to Brennan - kept things level. But during that 20 or so minutes Dunbar had 4 or 5 very good attempts and were unlucky. Dunbar then took control of matters and used the wide expanse of NVP to play some very good football. The two quick goals in the second half really took the wind out of the Star. 
The penalty award was a wee bit soft. That was only instance of Brennan getting it wrong in the 90. A very entertaining match. Lots of near things for each side. The final 15mins seen an awful lot of Nitten pressure. 
The final score line was justified. 
5 former Dunbar players in the Nitten lineup, plus Kingy. 
Every single player on the park put on a good performance. That’s not something you often see