Dunbar United Season 20/21

On 27/06/2022 at 06:48, Man from the East said:

Don’t tar a club by comments made by those with brain cell deficiency. 
I reckon I’d be able to name that particular clown in about 10 seconds flat. I wouldn’t take it too personal - but that guy seems to have issues with every club.

I’m pretty sure he’s not representative of DUFC.

Poor comment implying someone may have something wrong with them.

Edited by imho

• 3 weeks later...

After watching today, I think there is a lot to be excited about. Not the finished article but the team looks far more together this year. A lot more fluid.

Even though I think Dawson and Edmond will plenty score goals, I still think that we need a striker to compliment them, following Devlin’s departure.

Someone similar, fox in the box, or someone that can play on the shoulder of the last defender.

12 hours ago, #DUFC said:

After watching today, I think there is a lot to be excited about. Not the finished article but the team looks far more together this year. A lot more fluid.

Even though I think Dawson and Edmond will plenty score goals, I still think that we need a striker to compliment them, following Devlin’s departure.

Someone similar, fox in the box, or someone that can play on the shoulder of the last defender.

Yes decent performance yesterday but Arniston I thought were poor at times.

On 24/07/2022 at 14:11, jambo222 said:

Yes decent performance yesterday but Arniston I thought were poor at times.

It's been a tough pre season with a couple of wins,couple of defeats ,a draw,against good opposition and a bounce game with the under 20s. Some new signings have looked good some still finding their way but we seem to look more of a unit than last season. Hibs tomorrow and then away on Saturday to Fife where we had a poor record last season. I agree we need another striker and maybe a defender to stop us leaking goals. We need a good start if we are to have any chance in a difficult league. Best of luck for the season ahead.

On 25/07/2022 at 19:09, imho said:

It's been a tough pre season with a couple of wins,couple of defeats ,a draw,against good opposition and a bounce game with the under 20s. Some new signings have looked good some still finding their way but we seem to look more of a unit than last season. Hibs tomorrow and then away on Saturday to Fife where we had a poor record last season. I agree we need another striker and maybe a defender to stop us leaking goals. We need a good start if we are to have any chance in a difficult league. Best of luck for the season ahead.

Against a very good Hibs team last night, despite losing 6 goals,Sean Brennan looked great. He made loads of great saves and stopped an absolute drubbing. The players in front of him defended poorly and were exposed at ease,as I say against a good Hibs team. 19 goals scored against us albeit against some good teams doesn't exactly look like we have sorted out our defence, but it's not what you do in pre season that matters, Saturday coming does matter.  Good luck to everyone at Dunbar. The place is looking amazing, job off the park well done hopefully on the park as well.

21 hours ago, imho said:

Against a very good Hibs team last night, despite losing 6 goals,Sean Brennan looked great. He made loads of great saves and stopped an absolute drubbing. The players in front of him defended poorly and were exposed at ease,as I say against a good Hibs team. 19 goals scored against us albeit against some good teams doesn't exactly look like we have sorted out our defence, but it's not what you do in pre season that matters, Saturday coming does matter.  Good luck to everyone at Dunbar. The place is looking amazing, job off the park well done hopefully on the park as well.

Yes if you look at the defence from last season to this it's Hare from Linlithgow Rose and Redpath and Allan in from Leith isn't it?  Not lost anyone at the back?

Midfield the most impressive in the one game I saw was Shaun Miller who was tenacious, I thought Congalton looked lightweight as is LIAM Gregory who I've seen over the years at Musselburgh.

I like big Dawson but will he score the goals that Jones did?  Hopkinson has had more clubs than Nick Faldo.  Leaves a lot on the lad Edmond who has had a few injuries.

If you can get over your issues in Fife I am sure it will be a good season.

5 hours ago, RedLichty said:

Yes if you look at the defence from last season to this it's Hare from Linlithgow Rose and Redpath and Allan in from Leith isn't it?  Not lost anyone at the back?

Midfield the most impressive in the one game I saw was Shaun Miller who was tenacious, I thought Congalton looked lightweight as is LIAM Gregory who I've seen over the years at Musselburgh.

I like big Dawson but will he score the goals that Jones did?  Hopkinson has had more clubs than Nick Faldo.  Leaves a lot on the lad Edmond who has had a few injuries.

Disagree entirely regarding Gregory. Of the snippets I’ve seen, he looks he could be the difference. Never had a run of games at Musselburgh from what I believe, and provided he stays fit, hopefully that is something Dunbar can give him.

I think the defence will work itself out, not too worried about that. Have 4 very good CB’s, I’m which 2 can also play right back.

However, I do think they need another striker in. Just something different that will compliment Dawson and Edmond or an alternative. 

On 28/07/2022 at 16:05, RedLichty said:

The first Fife issue has now been addressed.

On 01/08/2022 at 00:17, Man from the East said:

The first Fife issue has now been addressed.

Dunbar need to win today as a few teams have started well and we want to be in amongst them. Still too early to make any calls but even at this early stage winning is a must  . Good luck Dunbar.

8 hours ago, imho said:

Dunbar need to win today as a few teams have started well and we want to be in amongst them. Still too early to make any calls but even at this early stage winning is a must  . Good luck Dunbar.

We got the win in a poor game where our keeper had some good saves. Dunbar were short of players which must be a concern . We finally kept a clean sheet thanks to SB. We didn't play well but got the points . WW in the first half were probably the better team and DU got a controversial goal on HT to change the game but ran out deserved winners in the end. hopefully players returning will improve us but good start considering. 

18 hours ago, imho said:

We got the win in a poor game where our keeper had some good saves. Dunbar were short of players which must be a concern . We finally kept a clean sheet thanks to SB. We didn't play well but got the points . WW in the first half were probably the better team and DU got a controversial goal on HT to change the game but ran out deserved winners in the end. hopefully players returning will improve us but good start considering. 

On reflection of what I've seen so far in pre season and league games we look on paper to have a decent squad but in reality we are lacking in certain areas. Up front we are poor,midfield we need someone to win the ball and create. With players becoming available we should get better but not impressed by some of the new signings,so far.

That seemed to be a decent result for Dunbar against WW. 
At the end of the day the points are on the table. The performances will get better, the team will gel. It’s early doors.
If anyone thinks a simple task to finish in the top 3 of the league - please share the secret. 

one game at a time. Steady progress is all that’s required. 
Whitehill will take points from many teams this season - no doubt about that. 

On 06/08/2022 at 18:36, imho said:

There’s no doubt the Dunbar goalies (both of them look more than decent) will contribute to the teams success this season.  Don’t know so much about a desperate need for players ,,, the squad looks to have capability and is organised.
Goals will come, and hopefully the points will follow. 
There isn’t an easy match in any of the league fixtures. To assume so would be disrespectful of opponents. 
Rosyth - they will make lots of clubs look average, Whitehill will also take their fair share of victories  in the league. 
A very decent start to the season for Dunbar, but I hope nobody is getting carried away and assuming the business has been done. That’s simply not the way it works. 
The way it works is;

players get injured, they go off form, the suspensions creep in, the winter grounds get heavy, the 3G grounds catch people out, players have holidays, players move on, postponements - eg Gretna, muck up planning, bizarre refereeing decisions and just plan old bad luck all come together to knacker things. 

Theres 101 things that could go wrong. But the important thing is that the two results have gone in the teams favour. 

On 28/07/2022 at 21:29, #DUFC said:

Disagree entirely regarding Gregory. Of the snippets I’ve seen, he looks he could be the difference. Never had a run of games at Musselburgh from what I believe, and provided he stays fit, hopefully that is something Dunbar can give him.

I think the defence will work itself out, not too worried about that. Have 4 very good CB’s, I’m which 2 can also play right back.

However, I do think they need another striker in. Just something different that will compliment Dawson and Edmond or an alternative. 

It seems that your last para has just been addressed.