Hamilton Academical v Dundee United

One shot on target and one goal for Accies but overall I thought they played better football than us.  Our set pieces are awful and every game we seem to have a defensive brain fart.  I lost count of the times we gave away possession through a lack of composure.

Maybe it’s time to give Appere a chance up with Shankland.

Sporle had a decent game again as did Chalmers, Pawlett was back to his old self unfortunately.  Shankland is a different class, he would score a bundle in a better team.

Another point on the board is no bad thing, but it could have been three for United. Mellon has to take the wrap for not getting the win after seemingly to being somewhat spooked by Hamilton's change to two up front. On the back of that he took off the always threatening Sporle, changed our shape, and then took off Chalmers. Brian Rice must have been rubbing his hands! I've been quite impressed by Mellon but that today was a little troubling. I'd even argue he took Butcher off too late - quite how he escaped a red card I'm not sure.

But, ultimately, glad to get another point.

Edited by Steven W

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

One shot on target and one goal for Accies but overall I thought they played better football than us.  Our set pieces are awful and every game we seem to have a defensive brain fart.  I lost count of the times we gave away possession through a lack of composure.

Maybe it’s time to give Appere a chance up with Shankland.

Sporle had a decent game again as did Chalmers, Pawlett was back to his old self unfortunately.  Shankland is a different class, he would score a bundle in a better team.

The set pieces are dreadful and seems like only Pawlett and Chalmers are allowed to take them. That one late in the game by Pawlett was truly dreadful. I was shouting at the TV for him just to pass it to Harkes who was in acres of space. It was quite telling that Harkes himself didn't even ask for the ball, as he presumably knew what was coming, and there was no way we'd be doing anything spontaneous or different.

And then he took the free kick......

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Another point on the board is no bad thing, but it could have been three for United. Mellon has to take the wrap for not getting the win after seemingly to being somewhat spooked by Hamilton's change to two up front. On the back of that he took off the always threatening Sporle, changed our shape, and then took off Chalmers. Brian Rice must have been rubbing his hands! I've been quite impressed by Mellon but that today was a little troubling. I'd even argue he took Butcher off too late - quite how he escaped a red card I'm not sure.

But, ultimately, glad to get another point.

Aye we changed formation to shore up our defence.  Not only did that not work but it reduced the effectiveness of our attack.

I think I said it after the Livi game, but he's head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad talent wise. In fact, it's not even close.

Let's just hope he stays fit, which is always going to be the issue with him.
I've accepted he'll miss too many games and have plenty of off-days, but in 17/18 he legit won us half of our points tally and he looks like he'll do the same again.

Impressive debut by Tunde, actually looks like a footballer. Good on the ball and has an awareness to bring others in to the game., he can only improve. Overall our best display of the season for me.
Yeah, he has shown more promise in one game than Moyo and Ogympoe have in their numerous appearances this season combined.

59 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Shankland's long throw ins were quite something. Perhaps a little bit of unusual to have your main striker doing them, but I wonder how long he's been hiding (or prevented from) that particular talent?

Surely the ability to take long throw ins is a learned technique, I would have thought it’s something that two or three players in the squad could be trained in.

Not sure have your best player and most effective striker doing it is the best option.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Surely the ability to take long throw ins is a learned technique, I would have thought it’s something that two or three players in the squad could be trained in.

Not sure have your best player and most effective striker doing it is the best option.

That's what I can't quite get my head around. Of all the players in the team, he's the one you'd want on the end of a long throw. I can only assume it's a 'skill' he's always had. In fairness, they were pretty good.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I played in a Sunday team where if it wasn't myself,a 6 foot 7 guy used to take  the corners and a defender who used to do somersaults at throw in with not one ever a foul throw.😀

A decent enough point for us but having lost at home to Ross County/St.Mirren and with Hibs and Aberdeen still to play to compete our first round of fixtures(plus our eternal bogey team St.Johnstone), we could have done with sneaking the win.

Just as well Nicky Clarke isn't up to Shankland's standard finishing wise as fine margins are important at this level.

As per usual with Rice, a lopsided midfield which was initially far too lightweight but we came into the game as it progressed.

Can't really judge Tunde today as he was on his own for periods up front and went into the game rusty as Rice in his wisdom hasn't even given him a sniff of what it was about bar less than 10 minutes six or seven weeks ago.